What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EXIF tags and You

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
EXIF is data that a camera or phone attaches to an image. Typically this in not much of an issue because it is just camera setting info but with the advent of GPS technology many new cameras and almost all cell phones have the ability to geotag the pictures with the coordinates of where the picture was taken. Obviously this could be a huge security risk. The IC Mag servers are supposed to strip the EXIF data when the picture is uploaded and resized but this is not currently happening. I added fake GPS coordinates to a pic and uploaded it and the EXIF data was not removed.

There are many applications to remove or edit the EXIF data, I use a free one called EXIF Pilot and it is available here http://exifpilot.com/ It is just the first one I found and there may be an easier app to use.

To see if your pictures have EXIF data right click on the image (image must be on your pc) and select Properties and then select the Details tab and scroll down to see all of the info included.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

TB Gardens

Veteran
Oh wow I had no idea IC servers were supposed to strip EXIF, I've always just done it myself. I use "EXIF Remover"

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
For anyone who uses photoshop, if you "save for web" it will strip off the EXIF data for you.

I always process my photos (and resize them to fit ICmag guidelines) in photoshop, so it's not an issue for me. But I wanted to mention it so anyone else doing so won't take the time to run it through a separate program.

Skip

Veteran
FYI any pic uploaded here to ICM is stripped of the exif data
Not always, apparently. If the pic is resized by the server it will strip it out. Otherwise, it might not. That is why it's the photographer's responsibility to ensure their security by removing the info or setting their camera not to record such data.

Cellphones represent a particular issue since they can record your location.

I've edited the title, since this issue is not specific to icmag.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
??? Might not ???? I hope you have tested this and know for a fact it will not strip if the server does not resize. Cant you make it to stripp it no matter what???? So far none of my pics have this data some where resized some where not..

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Here is the pic I tested with.

picture.php

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like that pic was taken with a droid phone from the data. I did not use any cleaner on my pics. I just checked there is some data there but it's meaningless. Even after cleaning that same info was not cleaned off. See what you can find from this pic

picture.php

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
Here is the pic I tested with.

picture.php

Camera: Motorola Droid
Lens: 4 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/186 sec, f/2.8, ISO 50
Flash: Auto, Did not fire
Date: January 31, 2012 1:13:17PM
Color Space: sRGB
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Field Of View: 61.9 deg
File: 956 × 1,280 JPEG (1.2 megapixels, , 0.31 megabytes) Image compression: 91%
GPS Latitude: Deleted out of courtesy but it was there.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Hammerhead your pics have no info other than size, many cameras do not record much data to the EXIF tag, my Canon point and shoot is that way but some newer cameras and almost all cell phones have GPS and will geo tag the photos.

Coordinates on the photo I tested with are just made up, I edited the EXIF tag.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's all good it's something I dont need to worry about. I swear we have had threads on this before and it was brought up that ICM strips the data. The data thats left does not mean anything it's useless to leo or anyone... Now that we have these smart phones with GPS that a much bigger risk then your normal camera.. It is true just not for smart phones

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
serial numbers some times pop up, always wondered if they were useful?

Skip

Veteran
picture.php

Yes, and as you can see the uploaded image was NOT resized or modified by icmag. Therefore it retains the data.

The uploaded image is above the size allowed on icmag.

That is why YOU should be editing your own images b4 uploading.

Got it?

Camera: Motorola Droid
Lens: 4 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/186 sec, f/2.8, ISO 50
Flash: Auto, Did not fire
Date: January 31, 2012 1:13:17PM
Color Space: sRGB
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Field Of View: 61.9 deg
File: 956 × 1,280 JPEG (1.2 megapixels, , 0.31 megabytes) Image compression: 91%
GPS Latitude: Deleted out of courtesy but it was there.