What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bad backs and the weather.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't want to exclude anyone here with any sore joints at all that are affected by the weather, altitude or any other environmental triggers (anxiety or mental), even gout from too rich a diet.

my back's been bad since an accident @ work in '04, previous to that I'd visited a chiropractor only 3 times in over 22 yrs of being here in MN.

most of you guys know me by now, amongst other attributes I'm a skeptic for sure, in fact I'll tell you that this is one of my philosophies... "Don't tell me, show me!" & this is another my dad told me & that I swear by, "believe none of what you hear and just half of what you see."

before my accident I'd never have believed that the weather could have such an immediate and profound effect on my back & how I feel for the day. some days the effect is pressure on my lower vertebrae making me feel as though I weigh 600-700 pounds; the nerves in my legs go numb w/in moments of me standing up.

I can't imagine having an operation & coming out worse, a 50/50% chance that even most doctors will admit to.

enough whimpering from me for now, I'm gonna go lie down by my bowl and check in later to see if any fellow invalids have chimed in here.

btw I just asked for and got a prescription from my doctor for a motorized scooter of my own, I'm so fucking tired of getting into one of them @ the store and having it run out of juice halfway through these new warehouse sized emporiums. work comp can hardly say no as I've whooped them every time we go to court for something.......

so what triggers your aches and pains?

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Any weather change. Pressure changes. Can feel rain coming 3 to 4 days ahead of time. Hurricanes, when I lived in SC, 7 days ahead of time. Pressure changes from flying in planes mess with me too.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
Hey Stoner4life I'm sorry for your pain. I do feel COLD weather and incoming weather fronts
seem to affect peoples aches and pains
I've only known one person who's benefited from back surgery and that was for aapercutaneous electrical nerve stimulation operation.
I can't stress enough to people take care of your backs use proper posture and the one of the best things you can do for your back is abdominal exercises well over half your back is supported by your stomach muscles.
I have to use Vicodin and Soma for my aches and pains only cost $30 bucks a month at Costco. $30.00 isn't going to buy me much Medical Cannabis.
Good Luck to all

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've got a friend coming by tonight to take out my trash, I'm so fucked right now I can hardly walk, went to a couple of stores today & had them walk my order out to me, glad I live in a town small enough to say "thanks, I'll pay ya next time I'm in town again".......

E

Eatatjoes

Gives ya a whole new look on a nice sunny day. Another cripple here +1

Rowdy420

I know several folks who have had the a fusion surgery on their backs. Two of the three after the first surgery were greatly improved in the quality of there their pain management. My wife mother is the third to have the surgery and she did it twice! The first time didn't help and she went back in but after the second surgery she lost some movement and control of her legs. She had rehabbed and made dramatic improvement on her mobility. All of em said they would have it done again with the amount of pain they were in. I'am a skeptic when it comes to doctors and their opinions but sometimes modern technology and surgery is the only way to go.

After now experiencing the dramatic pressure changes in weather systems and the amount of pain in some of my joints I wish I would have treated my body a little nicer. Funny how hindsight is always 20/20. If the weather systems affect us I'm sure the moon and it cycles have the same affects too, being we are made up of over 90% water. Stay hydrated it helps.

Wish I had an easy fix for you!

Good luck, peace

dddaver

Veteran
I can sure relate. I took a fall while in Germany in '98. I also used to think about weather effecting body with a tongue in my cheek. But not now.

My wife had Lupus for over ten years before she passed. One of her rheumatologists had a cartoon from a newspaper framed on his desk. It showed a lady on an exam table and she was saying, "My arthritis tells me it's gonna rain". It's really true. But apparently some people think it's funny.

I too have avoided surgery. A lot people have come out worse. At least I can function some now. After a bunch of exams and seeing various doctors, they can't even say specifically what's wrong. My balance is screwed up too.

I was a weather forecaster. Now I can tell it's gonna rain without even looking at anything, even out the window. I got a teaching degree too, but it's useless. Sometimes (most times now) I'm in way too much pain to do anything. Busted my ass for nothing. MMJ FTW.

Sorry for the rant. I need vent my frustration sometimes. Anyway, I'm against surgery too. I'm not about to let those fucking quacks cut into me when they don't even know exactly what they are doing. :comfort: I really can relate. :tiphat:

Piel

Veteran
I live in Scandinavia. My knees ache like hell when it´s cold. Prosthetic knees -explain please.:thank you:

Treetops

Hey SToner,
The wife and I both have bad backs...Her younger days were raising horses, gettin thrown, and everything else that goes with it...She can forcast rain, and snow...LOL...Me, my back is/has been screwed up for years..through always laborious type jobs...bull work a plenty, pulling concrete for footers all the way around the basement forms by shovel didnt help much...LOL....Then finding out I have a degenerative disk(s) my back cracks like a whip sometimes....but all in all I can go for a long time before it puts me down...We both go to the back cracker once a month...best thing I've done for myself in these many years...
My bud from my old job, got a scrip for a hot tub...Like your thoughts about the little "rider"..I am lookin at one one day as well...
Keep pluggin along...
Peace,
Treetops :tiphat:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

son ofa bitch! just stretched while sitting in my office chair and (pop!) the bastard of a nerve in my back gave way, instant relief. I'm just a few minutes into fixing breakfast and it looks as though I'll be enjoying it with a grin instead of a grimace.......

ive got a bad back im only 29yo . i wrecked a foxbody 5.0 when i was 20 at 85mph (blow out @ race track uncaged car) .the wreck did me up pretty well. some nights i dont get to sleep til 4am -5am. 2hrs later i got to get up for work to put food on the table . the weather does me in.it makes me ache just enough to where i cant sleep . i dont believe in using man made meds unless its life and death. i smoke to sleep w/o my medicine . i stay up in pain at my pc and fall asleep at my desk when i cant hold my eyes open anymore .thus so i dont disturbe the wife .ive went several days put in 10-12hrs of work w/o sleep at all. i crack and pop my back does nothing for me . my pain is in my spine . chronic back pain sucks ass . medicine should be a choice for non addicts . u should be able to tell a dr what helps u and what dont without problems . i dont goto doctor for it , i did for a while everything they do i can do myself. .... il continue to light up for my medical needs .until someone can hand me something different without a addiction or chemical dependancy . i only smoke weed to medicate i dont do anything else other then cigs ,not even beer .

crazybear

I also can relate to the weather, the cold makes the pain worse & when a front comes in it hurts worse also!
Dreams of green, does the c99 help pain or what have you found to help?:wave::plant grow:

Scrappy4

Veteran
You fellas are children. I've had 4, count em, 4 back ops. I hurt my back in 91, lived with it till 98 when i had my first, the rupture re ruptured two weeks later then back in for another laminectomy. I fought off my problems and continued working my physical job until 04. spring of 04 i had three level fusion on lower back, forced to retire. Then in 09 after learning i was a good candidate to be in a wheel chair and in diapers, I found a surgeon to clean out my spinal canal without fusion, most would not take on my case with fusing, but with fusing I could no long tie my own shoes. So i had the op, but scar tissue from previous ops had grown into my dura (sac that hold spinal fluid. That op was a bitch. They had to rebuild my dura. Recovery was a bitch. Now my back is back where it was before that op, and now i need hip replacement, plus i just found out I have prostate cancer. I opted to wait 6 months to give me time to research my options. I most likely will have prostate surgery this next winter.

But you know what, it is still better than the long dirt nap. Do what you can, help others, and get on with it. The best revenge is living a long life and growing your own meds. So enjoy those pain free moments, don't take out your frustrations on those around you, try and get some exercise, enjoy what you have , not what you think it should be.......scrappy

dekab247

2 so far

2 so far

Hi All,

I have had two fusion surgeries so far. I had an accident in 2000. Finally in 2010 I had a fusion surgery. With a severe case of DDD. I knew it wouldn't be long. Two levels above the first fusion was bad. Yet the level above pooped less than a month after the first. Dr admitted it was because of the first surgery. Now leaving the worse level still above the two, and the crumbling back around it. All the lumbar herniated, and damage up to the neck. All before age of forty. The cold is a bitch. Winter time I feel like I could have the strongest meds, and not have them help. It feels like it gets into me so far...D

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

sorry to hear that brother baked. I have a minimum of 5 bad discs in a row making a fusion useless. I feel your pain especially in regards to cold weather, where you @ bro, +/- anyways?

can you move from the cold? I plan on leaving northern MN next winter for sure, it's just too tough w/the 35-40 below zero shit, it's ALWAYS 10-15F below each morning here unless we have a sudden warm spell which would be 30s in the day & teen temps @ night.

crazybear

You fellas are children. I've had 4, count em, 4 back ops. I hurt my back in 91, lived with it till 98 when i had my first, the rupture re ruptured two weeks later then back in for another laminectomy. I fought off my problems and continued working my physical job until 04. spring of 04 i had three level fusion on lower back, forced to retire. Then in 09 after learning i was a good candidate to be in a wheel chair and in diapers, I found a surgeon to clean out my spinal canal without fusion, most would not take on my case with fusing, but with fusing I could no long tie my own shoes. So i had the op, but scar tissue from previous ops had grown into my dura (sac that hold spinal fluid. That op was a bitch. They had to rebuild my dura. Recovery was a bitch. Now my back is back where it was before that op, and now i need hip replacement, plus i just found out I have prostate cancer. I opted to wait 6 months to give me time to research my options. I most likely will have prostate surgery this next winter.

But you know what, it is still better than the long dirt nap. Do what you can, help others, and get on with it. The best revenge is living a long life and growing your own meds. So enjoy those pain free moments, don't take out your frustrations on those around you, try and get some exercise, enjoy what you have , not what you think it should be.......scrappy

Children? I don't put down other people thinking their pain is not as bad as mine, just because you had four count them four does not mean your life sucks more or less than anybody else! Oh yeah WAHHHHHHH, NOT AGAINST YOU JUST SAYING!!!!!!:wave::plant grow:

Scrappy4

Veteran
Children? I don't put down other people thinking their pain is not as bad as mine, just because you had four count them four does not mean your life sucks more or less than anybody else! Oh yeah WAHHHHHHH, NOT AGAINST YOU JUST SAYING!!!!!!:wave::plant grow:

Sorry my post offended you. I did not intend that. I failed to make my point. Let me try again. No matter how tough you have it there's always someone who has it worse, so suck it up and get on with it. The guy with no legs thinks he has it bad till he meets the guy with no legs or arms. We are only on this rock for a short time, let's make the best of it. Better? Scrappy

crazybear

Sorry my post offended you. I did not intend that. I failed to make my point. Let me try again. No matter how tough you have it there's always someone who has it worse, so suck it up and get on with it. The guy with no legs thinks he has it bad till he meets the guy with no legs or arms. We are only on this rock for a short time, let's make the best of it. Better? Scrappy

Yeah that's cool I know what you mean it's easy to let the pain get you down, I could easily get a wheel chair cart at any store to make it easier on myself but I continue to haul my aching ass all over the place on my own power! I try to do the best I can!:wave::plant grow:

mad librettist

Veteran
bad backs and the weather.......

if your back hurts, you owe it to yourself to check out the Alexander Technique (AT)

AT will help you make new habits that don't harm you.

Latest posts

Latest posts