What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Early Sexing

GoneRooty

The pics I posted were sexed without any type of magnifier. It takes a while to get used to finding them, but once you get it, it's pretty easy.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
That's why I like clones...I know their sex anyway...and they express it very quickly because they were taken from a mature female.....the length of time until maturity is much shorter....perfect for SEA OF GREEN

picture.php

GoneRooty

That's why I like clones...I know their sex anyway...and they express it very quickly because they were taken from a mature female.....the length of time until maturity is much shorter....perfect for SEA OF GREEN

picture.php

Clones have NO length of time til maturity, they were taken from a sexually mature plant, they keep all the same traits including maturity. You can flower a clone as soon as it is rooted.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Clones have NO length of time til maturity, they were taken from a sexually mature plant, they keep all the same traits including maturity. You can flower a clone as soon as it is rooted.

That's what I do do....straight on to 12/12

VEG TIME IS A WASTE OF TIME

THEY DID THEIR VEG TIME IN THE CLONING PROCESS.......

THAT'S ALL THEY ARE GOING TO GET

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Its really not necessary to have a scope and all that....

Just a pair of normal reading glasses... 3 or 3.5 x will help greatly......

12 bucks maybe...

Try that first.... The glasses come in handy for other stuff too..

Reading glasses in the grow room are a must.
Buy them at the 99 Cent Store.

there goes edro

Veteran
Yeah Ive been eyeing my plants for preflowers. In my experience the males usually show first. Males are normally taller, and stinkier than their female counterparts. So far two girls, four males, 10 undecided. They just started 4th week in 18/6. Patience is a virtue when it comes to growing. I have been sure a plant was male but turned out to be a female.

Jhhnn

Veteran
While I have always heard that males show before females, I have never found this to be true. If I start a group of plants from seed, I always am able to pick out a number of females before the males start showing.

That was my experience years ago and again with my first non-fem photoperiod grow of Satori & Rishi Kush.

That's if you're astute & study the preflowers. Once the males start to flower, they explode, and then the females lag behind. If you have a guerrilla grow somewhere out in the woods, intentionally don't spend much time there at all, you'll notice the males first. In an intimate garden, one you can study, the OP's method is spot on.

Given Colorado's plant limitations for personal growers, large plants make sense vs more smaller plants in a sea of green setup, if your grow space will accommodate that & if you intend to stay on the right side of the statutes.

I recently suffered an embarrassment of riches- too many girls as determined by the preflowers. Lucky for the excess maidens, I found them an adoptive home. Otherwise, they'd have been chopped. Their new tenders confirmed my accuracy, as have the girls left behind.

This State legal personal growing deal is entirely too good to not play the game. It's still a felony to have too many plants, sad to say. If I ever want to grow a shitpile of the stuff, (not likely) I'll follow Gettogrow's methods.

Floridian

Veteran
Ground up you need to learn the actual preflower in a female plant is not the pistil,the pistil emanates from the preflower.They normally are more like a teardrop structure with a smooth surface.Male preflowers throw out all sorts of cabbage looking balls and I'm not talking about pollen sacs,they come a bit later.Bottom line,get a good magnifying glass and check out you vegging plants weeks 4 -5 or six and you will definitely be indetifying them without that bullshit you go through with the flowering out a branch

SHOOTtheMoon

On my phone writing this, and this goes out to the OP who has a thai strain that doesn't show till 10 weeks. That's because its a tropical sativa. Those things take a LONG time to sex. Correct me if im wrong. Tropical sativas have the longest time frame from seed to harvest, so I would assume that early sexing will be a while...

I live in thailand im pretty sure thet are ruderallis the original strain as the ones ive seen never die they are not perennial my friend just keeps pulling bud of when hs wants it ive tried the stuff its ok just seedy

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my eye sight is going but I used to be able to tell with about 90 percent accuracy......need me a new magnifyier...when og was up my sight was still good...lol

jd4083

Veteran
If you need a jewelers loupe to see the preflowers, maybe just wait a few more days and save yourself the neck pain

Kozmo

Veteran
Thanks!

Thanks!

If you need a jewelers loupe to see the preflowers, maybe just wait a few more days and save yourself the neck pain

I have a pretty strong magnifieing glass. I'm going to be paying attention and developing experience. This was a great find in a thread. I so dreaded all other methods!

Kozmo

Veteran
Girl or Boy

Girl or Boy

From what I've interpreted I think it's a girl... I've been wrong more often then not though. Anyone want to throw there .02 in?

jd4083

Veteran
I have a pretty strong magnifieing glass. I'm going to be paying attention and developing experience. This was a great find in a thread. I so dreaded all other methods!

Don't get me wrong, some are more pronounced than others...but all that I've seen so far in my experience have been visible to the naked eye after the 4th or 5th week of veg. Even if you can't quite make out the shape you can at least see the two emerging pistils in a female preflower, and with males I usually tend to see those showing sex sooner than females anyway. I definitely am guilty of rooting around with the loupe and scope and trying to identify preflowers early as well, but most of the time I can contain myself :dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts