What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lacto Bacilli: process and discussion

As an anecdotal observation:

spraying the LB on the hydro media- seems to have eliminated the fungus gnats!!!!

Anyone else seen this effect???

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good to know! dont have a fungus gnat problem but when they come around this winter ill keep it in mind and give it a try.

on a side note im making some more, and am at step 6 ( milk has seperated and serum is below.) im going to strain tomorrow. i will be checking for amounts of bacteria, then splitting it and adding one to the fridge and one out with molasses, then checking for the bacteria counts in a week after.

I'd take a SWAG that the LB killed the fungus that was feeding the gnats.

Or I wonder if it can attack the gnats directly???

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
who knows, but it would be worth a look. this stuff is cheap as hell to make and anyone can make it. maybe catch some fungus gnats in a jar and spray them with LB see what happens? that would eliminate it affecting them directly.

MrFista

Veteran
Just effectively used this for smell reduction. Wild cats got in and sprayed round some fish tanks (cheeky fookers). Sprayed with 2 drops mother culture in 200 ml water. Just misted the area, lot of it cloth coverings etc, very hard to clean without a large drycleaning bill.

Took 24 hours, eliminated a very strong smell.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wait lemme get this straight, a cat pissed in your area, you sprayed it with lacto b and 24 hours later no smell? what cant lacto b do haha.

southpaw

Just saw a bit on probiotics, come here and find Jay is already whipping them up in the closet. :rasta:

Bout to go brew up a batch right now. Got about two months still till my first round of castings will be ready, and hell, the fish tanks might appreciate a few drops of the stuff also. Rice, water, milk, container, dechlor. I'm not even lazy enough to put this one off.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good stuff southpaw. just remember it takes about 2 weeks to get your final product. and until further testing is done, fresher is better. let us know how it works out for you, or just post some pictures.

ThaiPhoon

Hey jay,

I eat rice almost everyday here, so I am gonna give the pure LB a try. I just started a small jar of ricewash fermenting yesterday.

Peace

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey TP. yea i eat a lot of rice its good stuff. so many ways to use it. so i usually have a lacto B culture going at some point or the other. you can also use the rice after its cooked, if you made a bit too much and have extra to collect native forest microbes. but thats a whole different thread for that.

southpaw

jaykush said:
good stuff southpaw. just remember it takes about 2 weeks to get your final product. and until further testing is done, fresher is better. let us know how it works out for you, or just post some pictures.

Will do man. Went small this time, just a tablespoon of rice rinsed with a 1/2 cup of water and a drop of NovAqua to dissipate the chlorine/ chloramine. Stirred it up for a few minutes, strained out the rice, poured the water into a clean, recycled margarine container. Cut a hole into the top for circulation, put it on a shelf in the closet.

Would aerated teas benefit from this culture Jay? I was thinking of bubbling the correct dose with kelp and molasses into a few gallons of water, but maybe an anaerobic tea with something like alfalfa makes more sense here?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will do man. Went small this time, just a tablespoon of rice rinsed with a 1/2 cup of water and a drop of NovAqua to dissipate the chlorine/ chloramine. Stirred it up for a few minutes, strained out the rice, poured the water into a clean, recycled margarine container. Cut a hole into the top for circulation, put it on a shelf in the closet.

next time i would use a bit more rice, as in the first stage you really want to collect as many microbes as possible, then later when you add the milk you add less rice culture so you dont have tons of final product. i usually 1/4-1/2 cup with twice as much water. same as if you were making it to eat.

Would aerated teas benefit from this culture Jay? I was thinking of bubbling the correct dose with kelp and molasses into a few gallons of water, but maybe an anaerobic tea with something like alfalfa makes more sense here?

were still learning the benefits all the time. i cant say 100% for sure it will make your teas better. now i have done fermented plant extracts with it. it keeps the smell down and helps break down the plant matter. works in composting real well, which will eventually help your teas.

MrFista

Veteran
Jay - The smell reduction with the cat-pissy room amazed me, it's a few days later I'll go check now...

Yes, the smell is still gone.

But, remember from elsewhere, it didn't alleviate the smell in my fish composting experiment.

I'm going to try it again at some stage with the drop of bacillus (no molasses) per 100 mls water ratio that got rid of the cat piss smell.

I think you could use this for human activity as well. Going to see if it makes a smelly old oven a bit more bearable, be interesting to find a dodgy lavatory someplace and see if you can reduce the smells in there. Hmm, friends who are cleaners, got me thinking now...

MrFista

Veteran
Easy! - The fresh urine is the smell problem. You can alleviate the smell but traffic in the facility causes further smell. You can put bacillus in cisterns... few drops per flush... for both urinals and toilets.

And the cleaners use it on the floors and walls etc. as people are prone to miss...

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea fista ive read its good to put down your drain so when it goes to the septic tank, the bacillus break down everything in there. as well as the smells.

good to know it gets rid of cat piss smell, i have some neighborhood cats that sometimes find some of the plant free dirt spots as a piss spots. gonna try to lacto them next time im actually making some in a few minutes, the milk has separated and im ready to make the mother culture. put one in the fridge and one with sugar, monitor the microbial counts.

S

spiral

Whats up. I'm not going to be telling you anything new, just backing up what everyone says. I did a side by side comparison of the Lacto in nettle FPE's,(thanks for that info too JK) one with one without. The batch with the Lacto barely any smell, and the materials broke down (dissolved) 4 days faster. The other batch ugh, stunk horribly. I've also had a buch in the fridge for a couple weeks, I'm assuming its still good the water bubbles, kinda like theres a drop or 2 of soap in there. Does anyone else get this? even when diluted down 2 TBLSP per gallon. The best results and most notable were when the Lacto was mixed with bionutes or FPEs ,50% Lacto, 25% bionute, and 25% BIM. I havent noticed any difference when using it solo. Sadly to say, I used it in back to back waterings but still have cocksuckin fungus gnats, lucky for you G33, I also wonder how homemade Lacto compares to em1 ?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey spiral,

thats great to hear, its no problem at all. im glad to see others trying, how are you liking the results in the final smoke? haha yea long soaked nettles can STINK, try doing the stuff the barrel half full of nettles fill with water and let sit a month....wow! but i love how lacto breaks down the smelly compounds.

dont know how long it lasts atm, im doing a batch now and have a microscope to see how long it lasts with good numbers of live bacteria. will be posting info when i get it in a few weeks to a month.

i agree lacto works great when used in fpes, also works GREAT in composting along with the quick return compost activator, gives you awesome dark humus rich compost with no turning so the fungals are high and happy.

cant say about the em, its too expensive i aint buying it.

S

spiral

MrFista got me thinkin when he said he sprayed it on the cat pee. Theres this product called enzyme D, it a bacteria spray for cleaning dog/cat pee thats soaked into the carpet, spray this stuff till the carpets soaked then like 4 hours later the carpets dry with a nice lemony scent. I went to the chem store yesterday to check out the ingredients and sure enough it contains LB, says something on the bottle about how its the enzymes the bacteria release that de oderize, works good to. these bottles probably sit around on the shelves for a long time, the one I got was all dusty but still worked good.
Yeah the em is ridiculous 35$ for a quart with shipping. later

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
haha thats funny, if we were only at this a few years back before enzyme d came out fista could be rich.

what i think is funny, is while looking for an organic gardening technique, we found a way to get rid of catpiss smell that cost pennies to make! cant say that would happen when growing hydro thats for sure.

good to know the shelf life of those still works, does it contain anything else in it as a food source?

haha 35 for em? shit ive seen nothing less than 50$ without shipping.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
also i found this link, accidentally when i was looking for something completely different. then i was reading it and found it was a tutorial for lactobacilli and making your own. but a whole different method than what we have going here. this one uses garlic and peppers and cabbage. im thinking this one would make an AWESOME pest control spray as well as add beneficials to the foliar surface.

http://teams.lacoe.edu/documentation/classrooms/gary/plants/activities/articles/fermentation.html

Latest posts

Latest posts