What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
Berry_Coughin' said:
Ya, I just posted on this earlier in this thread.... I do it to get some seeds really quick then kill the males, and revert the girls right after they show they've been pollinated..... peace....

Sweet... So no risk of hermies at all?

H

Hal

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Great to see all y'all!

Lofty...

If you are planning on getting a bunch 'o beans at the 420 Cup, I'm not sure if it matters which one's ya pick. I would suggest gettin yourself some genetics that would give you the phenotypes, buzz most crucial of course, that fit your wants and needs. Since we don't really have an established "strain report" section yet, we don't really know what to test. If you wanted your experiments to be the most useful for the general readership of this thread, then picking some beans from the most popular varieties would seem the way to go. Whatever you pick, if you grow them the 12/12 way, and then do a report on them as to how they responded to this lighting, that will be a fantastic contribution to our goal.

About the 420 Cup...don't forget to take some pictures of the goings on and make sure you post them here when ya get back...you lucky dog ya!

Make sure you give your friend WRITTEN instructions for taking care of your ladies while you are away...I have been dissappointed a few times in my life when I relied on a caretaker to remember my verbal instructions...better safe than sorry.

Regarding doing a poll...I don't think it is possible to do a poll within this thread, but I might be wrong...if so, someone who knows better be sure to chime in.

HighOnTheChronic...

I believe that putting the sprouts directly into 12/12 until they reveal sex is safe...but I'm not 100% sure on that. That would be a good question for Atmosphere to answer, I think my info on the subject was gotten from him on the OG thread, probably want to make sure by asking him directly.

It seems like either way you do the light shift, you will be applying stress to the plants that they don't encounter in nature. Whether you start them off in 12/12 and switch to a vegetative schedule, or you start them off au natural with vegetative light...then switch to 12/12...then back again after they show, none of that is what they naturally encounter. Besides, don't the plants naturally show pre-flowers somewhere around week 4? I personally would go with starting them straight off in 12/12, doesn't seem to cause enough problems with hermies to keep Atmosphere from using this method for many years now. You will save some time that way...and some work too.

Hey Elephant Man!...

Dude! Welcome to the light my man. Lurking is a fine thing in my book...akin to the curious individual who is seen and not heard, but is listening intently the entire time. When that individual eventually speaks, they are possessed of wisdom that their comtemporaries value highly...no pun intended!

Sounds to me like you will be of HIGH value to this thread and growing method. You have genetics out the wazoo, and seem to really like the idea of growing this way, and also seem like you want to help educate the masses.

I'm sure I speak for us all when I say that I really look forward to your future posts.:woohoo:

I am interested in growing some sativas this way, so especially look forward to your sativa posts.

Atmosphere is the guy who deserves most of the praise...He introduced me and everyone else to this great method, and he is the one who really has the expertise, he is the GURU OF "BORN IN FLOWER". I really like that phrase you came up with, never heard it referred to that way "born in flower" has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:
G

this thread makes we want to switch now at three weeks and kind of mad i didnt go 12/12 from seed

Mucho mojo to you all mi amigos, I basically stumbled upon this thread after a little 'goose chase'...to make a long story short, I like psychoactive weed and had alot of fun quite by accident with a strong sativa-dom that hit over 7' indoor with 6 week veg on my first grow. A frend and mentor who also prefers 'head highs' and understood my description of the freaky type, suggested I locate the 'grail' from Manal, a small town in Vietnam. From there I found a good read on sativas and light cycles by DJ Short, an article on Vietnamese sativa from 'High Times' and then I found this article from a seed bank I have used...not sure if I can post the link, so I will just copy and paste the description.

This is how my researching brought me here:

Spice Brothers: Viet. Combo, Vietnamese x Vietnamese Black

OUT OF STOCK.......................................................

Offspring of this cross has produced a range of outcomes from the trippiest to soaring highs while others can bring on paranoia, racing heart beat and hallucinations for those not used to it. Generally speaking Viet combo's most early finishing phenos are around 10+ weeks, which is the fastest pheno I've found to date. A large majority will finish around the 12 -14 weeks while the rare odd freak will try and push past the 15 week but what an awesome racing head high these have known to produce. A few to many hits from one of these wonders I found myself staggering around like a drunken sailor with no control over my body. Not for light weight smokers and recommended for only experienced growers if attempted indoors. For indoor grows I highly recommend flowering direct from seed and provide ample light to achieve maximum results. A good curing period is essential for a quality smoking session.

So there you go...recommend 'birth in flower' hehe. Let me know if anyone finds it...and yeah, I have done 12+ week strains before.

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
just be aware some plants will literally be 1 gram yields.

but I've had them go 7ft from seed in 100days too.

very hard to guess what they'll do. my personal opionon, unless you have a specific reason to do so I wouldn't just go about flowering your plants from seed. most stay small and yield low. even sativa hybrids. some don't most do.

I used to do it on super sativas indoors to control height.

motaco said:

very hard to guess what they'll do. my personal opionon, unless you have a specific reason to do so I wouldn't just go about flowering your plants from seed. most stay small and yield low. even sativa hybrids. some don't most do.

I believe you...I had a godbud cross that did not seem to like this method, any 'one grammers' I get will be pollinated ;) and grown out in veg next time.

I make seed because I prefer to grow from seed so in my case it won't hurt to toss a few beans in flower...ya know?

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
Hal said:
HighOnTheChronic...

I believe that putting the sprouts directly into 12/12 until they reveal sex is safe...but I'm not 100% sure on that. That would be a good question for Atmosphere to answer, I think my info on the subject was gotten from him on the OG thread, probably want to make sure by asking him directly.

It seems like either way you do the light shift, you will be applying stress to the plants that they don't encounter in nature. Whether you start them off in 12/12 and switch to a vegetative schedule, or you start them off au natural with vegetative light...then switch to 12/12...then back again after they show, none of that is what they naturally encounter. Besides, don't the plants naturally show pre-flowers somewhere around week 4? I personally would go with starting them straight off in 12/12, doesn't seem to cause enough problems with hermies to keep Atmosphere from using this method for many years now. You will save some time that way...and some work too.

Hi Hal,

Thanks for that. I also share these thoughts. AFAIK the only thing that can cause hermies (with regards to light) is erratic cycles, light leaks etc. Fixed cycles shouldn't do any harm :D

Peace :yes:

H

Hal

Bullshit!

Bullshit!

motaco said:

Damn fine example of mis-information there Mot.

Do you consider harvesting 1 gram per watt a low yield? On my first try at this method (and only my second pot grow) I got at least one ounce dried from each of the 4 plants that I grew. I am a newb, and getting an ounce from plants that ranged in height from 12" to 23" is a fairly successful grow. Atmosphere gets 1 gram per watt. Many others have testified to similar harvests.

To write in your post to fear yields of "literally 1 gram" from a plant is complete bullshit. We've heard that crap before, and it just isn't true. If you only got 1 damn gram from a plant, you must be terrible at growing pot.

If you want to criticize this method then please keep your criticism within the bounds of reason, and stay away from smear tactics.

Last edited:
12/12 from Seed is great i currently have 3 in my flower box from seed they started out as an experiment(had a hermie plant thas i let seed) just for kiks and now ill keep at least 1 in the closet always they dont measure in waight as a vegged plant could but All that quality is still there. its all in the hands of the grower.

H

Hal

Hey Berry...

If I have read your posts correctly...you have already seeded these plants...and for some reason put them back under a vegetative light schedule? I'm a bit confused as to what you are doing. This thread is about starting seeds/sprouts off immediately in 12/12 light, and keeping them in this regimen for the entire growth cycle. Doesn't seem to match up with what you are doing.

HighOnTheChronic was going to revert his plants after sexing them because he wants to get some moms going, which is different than what you seem to be doing.

The fact that your plants have already been seeded will make any possibility of your plants turning hermaphrodite impossible...the only reason plants do this is when the females are starved for pollen and overreact and grow male sex organs. Since your plants have already been fertilized, and have reproduced by making seeds, there is no reason for those plants to go hermie.

No reason to spend your time looking for little nanners...

thc43

Veteran
i dont flower seed id rather grow preflower then keep the fem/hermis to grow later. Bit ill give anything a go once or twice :wave:

heres my sensi skunk grow 3 day veg of 9 different fem/hermi phenos now down to 5 fems with 50% hermi loss about 10 days into flower..

second pic what you could yield with only 3 days veg with a reasonable amount of sativa Bigbud/ white rhino). 9 plants in 1m x 90cm yielded over gpw. 8th week

Last edited:
H

Hal

That second pic is sweet...nice goin dude. I bet you could have gotten the same results if you had just started from the very beginning with 12/12 light, and forgotten all about the 3 days of vegetative lighting.

Over 1 gram per watt...another satisfied customer!

muddy waters

yo Hal i'm sure motaco the ragin cajun was just speaking from his experience, not trying to bash the method. i've seen 1 grammers (or more like 2-3 grammers) but they're dwarfed plants usually. seen it with seeds only a couple times, contrary to mota's experience, but with clones deprived of veg it seems much more common this dwarf bud thing.

it's true that this technique doesn't work equally well with every strain, results vary, depending also on environment. i've had different result with 12/12 from seed depending on light positioning and container size for instance.

H

Hal

Hey Muddy...

Good to see ya dude. I don't know if Motaco's intent was to bash this method, but it sure came out sounding that way. Any pot plant that is grown that only yields 1 gram, or even 3 or 4 grams, has something seriously wrong with it...either the plant has genetic defects, or it is being grown in a way that is doing the plant serious harm. The way Motaco wrote his post, it made it sound like this method was to blame, and thats just bullshit.

The reason I responded with such vigor is because there is way too much of that misinformation being spread on IC, and in the cannabis growing community in general, and I refuse to allow it to go unchallenged in this thread. This thread is devoted to 12/12 From Seed, and there are going to be folks coming here, frequently totally new growers, who want to see what it is all about. Damn if I want them to encounter, right here in the beginning, posts that are spreading mis-information that might very well discourage them from trying to grow this way.

Anyway, it isn't personal against Motaco. I'm sure he is a fine dude, and probably cooks up one hell of a gumbo. But we gotta keep it real here, and we gotta stomp out the un-truths about this method.

The strain reports that we will compile as time goes on will help us avoid those strains that don't seem to work as great as others. I'm guessing that most strains will do pretty good being grown this way. I'm very confident that it will be an extremely rare occurence when a strain responds to this method by yielding less than 7 grams per plant, unless the grower is doing something drastically wrong.

Sorry for the vigor.

CornBread

Anyone done this method with coco ? If yes, what pot volume did you use.
Can I get away with 1 liter pots or should I go with 2 liters?
Or shoud I even do like atmosphere is doing, one big container for all (sexed) ?

/cornbread

Going from flowering back to veg will first of all take a lot of time because of stress. It will always have its affect on the final product/yield . Often you get bud swith wierd shapes and potency might very well be affected .

For some seeds you can also pollinatie just a small part of a plant, and do the rest sensimilla.

Haggis123

Just going back to Motaco's post.....we had all the neg's back in the first few pages of the old thread....that's why Hal has spent time and effort making this new thread.

Just look at atmosphere's pic's.....to me they are yielding way much more than a "g" a plant....more like a "g" a watt, at least.

Even look at my little AK48 that must be at least a 1/2oz of premium quality there and it's still got probably 18 days or so to go.....hopefully much fattening up ahead.
I will be most happy to do the strain report once dried and let all the good peep's on this here thread know how well it went. :joint:

H

Hal

Hey Haggis...

Exactly dude. Its bad enough when people (who likely have never even tried growing this way) claim that it results in bad yields, but when someone makes a ridiculous statement associating 12/12 From Seed with yields of 1 friggin gram that makes my blood boil. Thats the kind of statement that can steer a newb away from ever trying this method for themselves.

That pretty little girl of the AK48 variety that you have going...well, I had a Northern LIght plant that was only 12" tall and she gave an ounce of sweet, sticky, dried bud...and she didn't look too much fatter than that pic you posted.

Latest posts

Latest posts