What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long do carbon filters last?

I'm thinking of building a carbon filter for my pc grow, I might try buy a small one but i have to know when to replace it because if it smells I'll be in deep shit. Any way of knowing when it needs to be changed guys?

Speed of green

It will gradually start to fail, it wont be a 100% failure instantly. My large ones last for a year or more. for a smaller one im not sure, it probably depends on the CFM's and the level of the odor.

You could build two so you always have a backup.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For me with a 4" x 12" I have been getting 1 1/2 grows. So not long at all. I have the cfm rate turned way down to where it barely gets negative pressure, so not sure why they do not last longer.

I have a refillable type now and just buy the carbon.

MJINC

Will depend on the size and the quality of the filter. Can are pretty good and so are black ops. Found both lasted a year before needing replacing

Floridian

Veteran
I use portable units which you really never hear about,having one on wheels can be either great or not of good use depending on what you're doing.I get three good flowering phases before it starts to be ineffective,180 days at least.I like the Allerair with only the carbon filter

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Hard to say what the life of a carbon filter really is.

I have a "scrubber" setup: Jumbo Can150 filter suspended from ceiling with a 14" fan that is on 24/7. It is about 5+ years old and my odor detector (nose) says it is still effective.

Can I detect any tell tale odors outside the flower environment? Nope. Are there strong aromas inside the flower? Yes.

What happens when I turn the scrubber off? Odors begin to emanate outside the flower environment and waif throughout the place. In other words--it stinks when the scrubber is turned off; but "no stink" when it is turned on.

I estimate my flower environment to be around 910 cubic feet.

It will gradually start to fail, it wont be a 100% failure instantly. My large ones last for a year or more. for a smaller one im not sure, it probably depends on the CFM's and the level of the odor.

You could build two so you always have a backup.

i mean they gunna have to be pretty small

Farm Hero

I've baked carbon pellets at 500 degrees in the oven to remove humidity and gotten much longer life as a result.

It is really humid here up until winter.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
My Can has been running steady for about 3 years now and still no smell outside the room.

However, I am now wondering if it is affecting (restricting) my air flow.

Last edited:

hazyfontazy

Veteran
My Can has bee running steady for about 3 years now and still no smell outside the room.

However, I am now wondering if it is affecting (restricting) my air flow.

just thought the same today 5 minutes after my post and ordered new ones ,,maybe for peace of mind and efficency we should change them at 2years ,but i agree no smell even with 3 years use

i believe Can ,mountain air and Rhino pro all use the same rc412 carbon which is said to be the best available ,,it really works and is worth the extra over budget filters ,especially with strains like cheese , ecsd and gg4 etc

MrBungle

I noticed with an old carbon filter (2 yrs of use) that I moved from one place to another...

The filter was jostled and bounced around a lil bit in the move...

when I set it back up it spit out a lil bit of carbon dust, just like when they are new.. and continued to filter air for another year or so...

I think dust clogs the pathways for air to move through the filter over time...

A little agitation either knocks the dust out of the way or creates new pathways through unused carbon...either way I won't complain

I also just give up on the pre filter once its dirty i just take it off...

Used to try and clean em by tying them up in an old pillow case, so they don't get damaged in the washing machine, but it just never works right again...

they should send out 2 pre filters.. for the price they ask on some of these filters!!

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have to say my rhino filter might be a bit overkill (280cfm ??) for my little tent, and I have my dimmed-down fan blow through it, no pull through it, but it's been going for about 1,5 years now and I smoke grass when I'm working on plants. REally nice gets my room weed smell free in just 20 minutes.
I know this is supposed to be the worst for the lifetime expectancy of a filter but I don't care ;-)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I have a Can running for 3 years, no problem, I also had great results with Phat a while ago, I always heard good things about those two, so use either.

A friend also ran Prima Klima branded filter with no problems, but there may have been the odd little whiff at times, so not sure I would use them again.

Granger2

Veteran
Phresh uses the same carbon as Mt. Air. Every 6 months or so I take mine outside and use the fan turned so it blows back thru for about an hour. They just keep on keepin' on. Good luck. -granger

T_B_M

I installed a 32" long x 8" diameter Phresh filter in a 5'x7' room about 3 years ago. Only washed the pre-filter yearly and still no smell outside the room. Oversize everything and it lasts a long time. I haven't even had to blast it with the pressure washer or hose yet. Pre-filter takes care of the dust and grit.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
phresh here
many years use, just beginning to fail
6"x24" covering 700 sq ft

i buy cause i'm no Macgyver.