What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please give me some feedback on my blueprint. Specifically Ventilation Work

Hello all ICMag'ers. This will be my first indoor grow build.

Just some background. The room is well sealed, and insulated with Roxul Safe & Sound with two layers of 1/2" drywall.

Entire room dimensions are 30'x15'. The room was built within a large room, and thus it's "back" wall has about a 5' work space section which I have left.

My (professional) electrician has completed a power box install with 125 amps. I am running two Helios 7 lighting controllers mated to 15 1000w HPS lights (Specifically the Sun System XXXL 8" Hoods). Plenty of 120v receptacles installed around the room as well.

Building of the structure of the room (walls, doors, painting, sealing, etc etc) is pretty much complete.

Still to do:
  • Hang Lights
  • Ducting for lights
  • Intake system (intake air being pulled in from outside the room. Was thinking of building a plenum to keep intake air completely seperate from workspace air?)
  • Building exhaust
  • Lighting it up.

I have build a blueprint of how I might hang my lights.

Please note, this blueprint was drawn exactly to scale. The room is 30'x15', the perimeter in the image was drawn at 30"x15". The hoods are also drawn to scale, as are the 4x8 tables/trays. The ducting was not drawn to scale.

So, my problem that needs a solution, I need your input!
My idea was to create a "main-line" duct, not sure if this is what this is actually called, to feed the three lines of lines.
Pushing the air (in blue) are 3 8" "blower" fans. I believe they are roughly ~700 CFM each.

Ahead of the mainline vent, the white rectangle represents a 10" Hyper Fan. So in this example, that mainline vent is 10".

I realized this morning, it may be possible that the 10" duct may not be enough to generate enough air flow.

My exhaust collector/main-line could be 12" or 14", as I would imagine the air would prefer to be dumped from high pressure to low pressure.

What do you think?

Thanks for the input in advance! If it will garner more attention and allow me to seek help easier, I may just start a build log. I would love to share some photos of the progress of this room. It is absolutely incredible.

Forgot to attach the image, sorry about the double post. Can't edit the post.

m4TNA9s.jpg

Easy7

Veteran
I would not blow thru lights. They are not designed to handle force. Or if something goes flying around in the blow.

I like to draw thru and draw thru scrubbers. Sucking is easier on gear.

Just my opinion

PdxFarms

I would pull the air opposite side, negative pressure and better environment control. Make sure the intake side is 3 times the size of the fans so minimum 24x24". Those 8 inch fans will work. I've cooled 5 1000s with 8". But mine were 750cfm. That's about max I would recommend, otherwise 10"
That plenum may restrict the intake side. Never hurts to over size it. I don't think you need a fan there, just let the 8" fans pull air through it

How do you plan on cooling?

Speed of green

I agree with these guys, solid info.

The plenum/Main line could work but id make it big, you should make it out of sheet metal, any sheet metal shop can bend it up for you cheap. i dont think you will get the flow you are looking for with a large circular duct. The math says 24x10 would be the same area as 3 X 10" circles. Id go overkill though, you dont want to choke your big fans.

you could run a single fan per 5 lights, with the ducting on each string having its own entrance/exit to the room.

So three intake holes on one side and three exhaust holes on the other side of the room.

10" duct should be fine between the lights, Just buy some fans that can move some air :)

Lot of good info back guys! Thanks a lot.

I would pull the air opposite side, negative pressure and better environment control. Make sure the intake side is 3 times the size of the fans so minimum 24x24". Those 8 inch fans will work. I've cooled 5 1000s with 8". But mine were 750cfm. That's about max I would recommend, otherwise 10"
That plenum may restrict the intake side. Never hurts to over size it. I don't think you need a fan there, just let the 8" fans pull air through it

How do you plan on cooling?

I am cooling through dumping in fresh, cool, night (filtered) air into the room from outdoors (60 degrees roughly) and pulling out the air at the top of the room with 2 10" exhaust lines.

On top of that, I have a 32k BTU ductless 3 zone A/C.

Should be plenty, yeah?