What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Runoff PPM with organic

Couchlock509

Hello all! After researching for some time I still can't find an exact answer. I apologize if it's been asked a million times but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great! I'm using FM coco loco with general organics line. Should I be monitoring the runoff ppm? I can't tell if they're over or underfed at this point. Some yellowing and crispy lower leaves and slight tip burn but I've only fed them less than quarter strength the last two watering and I got 2000 ppm... this is my first grow and I'm a little confused on this. Hopefully the pics will help. It's only day two of flower. Temps are 75-80 with the at 50% Thanks! If I need to provide more info just ask.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 20

Farm Hero

Normally with soil-less mediums you would check the runoff for pH issues. You seem to be confusing some hydroponic techniques with organic soil techniques. To me, ppm is kind of irrelevant with full organic growing because ppm measures chemical salts and in pure organics there are few if any to measure. For me in chemical hydroponics, runoff is only "ppm tested" during a flush of the containers with pure water to judge how much chemical salt is being removed from the medium prior to harvest.

If your soil is already organically enriched, try providing only pure water for a while.

Shouldn't have to feed a properly formulated soil and 2000 ppm is very high even for hydroponics. Are you sure your meter is calibrated and in ppm mode?

I have found that many fully organic nutrients do not register properly on a ppm meter (normally reading very low ppm ime). 2000 ppm sounds like there are too many salts present in your nutrient to be fully organic. Chemical nutrients should not be used on fully enriched organic soils.

What is your starting water pH and water source? Keep in mind you should not be using tap water when watering full organic soil mediums.

Yes, checking the pH both before and after mixing in nutes (I know some chem nutrients require a buffering period of a day or longer for pH to stablilize) and also checking the runoff would be a good place to begin. However, a fully enriched organic soil should not be having many pH issues as soil is a great buffer in itself. Known many organic growers that have never owned a pH or ppm meter....

Your plants look pretty healthy but always good to catch things early. Be sure you are letting the container dry out enough between waterings.

Leaves will yellow and die in mid to late bloom when using full organics, don't worry it is normal.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
If you're using Foxfarms Ocean Forest then yes that soil is a hot one. You don't need to be adding fertilizers for a few weeks. I've found that Happy Frog and Strawberry Fields provide optimal levels with little leaf tip burn and do just as well as Ocean Forest. As for pH don't worry about it. The soil has dolomite lime or oyster shell which keeps pH stable. I always add dolomite lime so I don't have to worry about a pH or calcium/magnesium deficiency.

-Funk

Couchlock509

Thank you so much for your replies! Farm hero, I think you're right about confusing techniques; I think with researching on my own and getting help at my hydro store things get sort of mixed together. With using coco loco from Fox Farms, I'm using general organics nutrients and mammoth p. I waited a few weeks to start feeding and even then only doing less than quarter strength ph at 6-6.5 with tap water set out for 24 hours... and the runoff was closer to 7. I calibrated my HM tds meter with their solution. Also, here is a pic of some leaves I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 16

truck

Can you get a hold of some Age Old Caliber 20? Its Calcium Citrate. I use it a rate of 1 tea per gallon and i use it in conjunction with feeding or top dressing that may cause my P.H. to drop which causes the burn and will help flush and help the plant use any excess nutrients left behind by the High PPM's and balance the soil again helping the micro heard. In your case I'd use just the calcium supplement alone and then use it in conjunction with every feed here on after.

Latest posts

Latest posts