What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen allergy leads to cannabis allergy?

panckage

Does a pollen allergy turn into a cannabis allergy for others here?

I have never had a problem with smoking cannabis, however when growing cannabis in my home (female plants) during allergy season I have very strong allergy symptoms, much stronger get than what I normally experience. Putting a hepa filter on the outtake of my tent has gotten rid of the symptoms, but as soon as I would open the tent up the allergy symptoms would come back. Strangely this only occurs when it is pollen allergy season. When my pollen allergies are gone I can take off the hepa filter and I will have no allergy symptoms from my cannabis plants

Is this normal? Any ideas?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Once I went to an allergist and had a skin patch test. It showed I was allergic to trees, dust, grass, weeds etc. Every thing that is out here in Colorado LOL. Anyway he explained that a person might not be allergic to a single thing, but when you pile them all on top of each other, you show the allergies. Maybe that is what is going on with you?

YetiOG

Does a pollen allergy turn into a cannabis allergy for others here?

I have never had a problem with smoking cannabis, however when growing cannabis in my home (female plants) during allergy season I have very strong allergy symptoms, much stronger get than what I normally experience. Putting a hepa filter on the outtake of my tent has gotten rid of the symptoms, but as soon as I would open the tent up the allergy symptoms would come back. Strangely this only occurs when it is pollen allergy season. When my pollen allergies are gone I can take off the hepa filter and I will have no allergy symptoms from my cannabis plants

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Yes actually this is easy! Grow something else you are likely allergic to some of the terps of what you grow. Terps can be responsible for perfume allergies, and cannabis allergy too

panckage

Anyway he explained that a person might not be allergic to a single thing, but when you pile them all on top of each other, you show the allergies. Maybe that is what is going on with you?
That would make sense Bombay. Thanks for the explanation!

spadedNfaded

Veteran
i have a mild allergy to cannabis. If im working in the garden i can feel it on the soft/thin area of my arms ie forearms, etc. if i scratch it i get raised hives in the area. It doesnt last long, if i wash the area it tends to dissipate within an hour or so.

If im breaking up dry buds, same thing can happen. if i have any residue on my fingers and tough my eyes, nose, or even again, my forearms i can have a reaction.

I started having seasonal allergies about 7 years ago, but theyre not as intense this year for some reason.

- SubN

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
To answer the OP No

I get hay fever really bad but no problem with MJ ...probably because there shouldn't be any pollen

I do however get a sinus reaction when chopping my plants ...also temporary skin reaction to the fresh sap

Skip

Veteran
When I've grown cannabis indoors, like when I lived in Holland (hard to finish outdoors there), I could not stand the plants while they were flowering. I had four small ones in my bedroom and I felt suffocated (bad air in the Dam too). And things got so bad for me that year, I finally got up and moved to Spain!

The plants did give me allergy symptoms, runny nose, sneezing, scratchy eyes, etc.
So the answer to your question is yes.

But then again, I'm allergic to nearly all scented flowers after living next to a carnation field on Maui back in the 70s (which they spray nasty chemicals on, I found out later).

Floridian

Veteran
I think YetiOg had a very smart observation here,especially if you know there is no cannabis pollen present.I would take that advice to heart if it were me.

St. Phatty

You're the patient.

If you observe an allergic-type reaction, I believe you.

I find that some varieties of Cannabis leaves can give me a Major Rash - but not all kinds.

shithawk420

Veteran
I don't get the confusion here. Its a plant. Some people are allergic to certain types of plants. Common knowledge. Did you know everyone is allergic to hay? If its a problem just wear a mask and gloves

YetiOG

I think YetiOg had a very smart observation here,especially if you know there is no cannabis pollen present.I would take that advice to heart if it were me.

Thank you. :tiphat:

After seeing what others note like skip especially with other aromatic flowers its all that makes sense to me.

I feel sorry for skip i love being in my 12' × 10' bedroom, three 600 hps with 40 to 60 plants i chill in there for hours huffing dank smells. I cant get enough of it. Though i have no known allergies except to a couple medicines so it dosent bother me any...

YetiOG

Take Claritin or Allegra, especially when you harvest or trim. A good mask helps also.

Good sugestions. Long sleeves, gloves, mask, careful collection of waste and added extraction at harvest may all be helpful theres lots one can do to protect themselves (PPE) . Ive seen people use lab coats for harvest even might be good to invest in a few things. Antihistamine is really smart for sure too.

troutman

Seed Whore
Having antihistamines handy helps for moderate allergy related pain and bug bites.

I like Benadryl and need to get some soon before I play outdoors in the swamps again. :biggrin:

Skip

Veteran
I have to take zyrtec for my flower allergies, but it didn't help with cannabis flowers much (probably would've been much worse without it).

Some ppl use flonase (spray), they have a new version out without the scent (which I'm allergic to!!)

panckage

you are likely allergic to some of the terps of what you grow.
Well a carbon filter removes the smell so it should remove all the terpenes, right? But a carbon filter doesn't help my cannabis allergies, only a hepa filter works. I don't think terpenes are an issue for me

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Well a carbon filter removes the smell so it should remove all the terpenes, right? But a carbon filter doesn't help my cannabis allergies, only a hepa filter works. I don't think terpenes are an issue for me
The hepa filter is a much finer filter than the carbon scrubber. This would lead me to believe you're suffering from a particle problem and not a terpene problem.

You're 100% sure there isn't any pollen in your tent?

Do you have the same problem when the plants are in veg only?

YetiOG

Do you exhaust the filter? If it's blowing into the room you are filling the room with charcoal dust...

Just because the smell is gone to us dosent ment its gone. It's still at a detectable level for dogs so it's still present.

Can't really offer you a solution to a problem like that. Maybe wear a respirator otherwise get someone else to grow for you or try different varieties...

Latest posts

Latest posts