What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldtimer's Purple Haze off in my brain!!!!

LostTribe

Premium user
I'm not sure if its just my eyes bit I thought I saw some damage to the leaves in this picture... Thrips or root aphids??

thats just the pics but a couple did get a bit tip burn from the soil mix 3 others not affected. The shorter ones are looking best.

I only have hps so hps it shall go this run.

LostTribe

Premium user
you need blumats.

FITS,

Ok I will bite....what is a blumat? I have been in hydroton ebb drip for along time. Just doing these Sativa's in soil for one run....

I looked at them a while back but dont understand how they work really and how you set them up??on a rez?? what about pump cycling?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
LT,

there is a comprehensive Blumat thread here on ICMag. Essentially they are ceramic sensors that regulate water flow from a rez or the tap to each plant to suit it's individual water needs. They are a bit of a trick to set up and a bit fiddly but when they are dialed in they are pretty awesome.

I got a set for my cab grow but couldn't give up the space for a rez so I've been playing with them outside for awhile. They really work best when you don't have to move the plant at all. Right now with all the rain I've been getting they've been more of a pain in the ass than anything but I hope that as the drier winter season approaches they will show their worth.

Pretty sure FITS suggestion was based on the fact that these plants are in small pots and Blumats are a great idea if you are away from your grow for any length of time.

LostTribe

Premium user
I have only the phaze, zamaldelica and about to be 1 Malawi in there. Malawi is the only female I know of so far and from pre flower its at a couple months cut of of 1 seedling. So what would happen if I go from 12/12 to 11/13 or 10/14 now rather than waiting until end of stretch? I also am considering topping them again to take cuts....will that prolong the blooming hormones like with indicas or are they sort of used to chilling in 12/12 or so for a few weeks without trouble first?? Man really hope Dubi checks in on that.

Anyone have any links to tips on Pure Sativa's? All I saw was high times and dont have any grow books anymore not sure where they went.....been over a decade since I saw em....man....time may exist after all!

LostTribe

Premium user
LT,

there is a comprehensive Blumat thread here on ICMag. Essentially they are ceramic sensors that regulate water flow from a rez or the tap to each plant to suit it's individual water needs. They are a bit of a trick to set up and a bit fiddly but when they are dialed in they are pretty awesome.

I got a set for my cab grow but couldn't give up the space for a rez so I've been playing with them outside for awhile. They really work best when you don't have to move the plant at all. Right now with all the rain I've been getting they've been more of a pain in the ass than anything but I hope that as the drier winter season approaches they will show their worth.

Pretty sure FITS suggestion was based on the fact that these plants are in small pots and Blumats are a great idea if you are away from your grow for any length of time.

Thanks a lot for your time and help! I am sorta feeling like I am heading into this without proper info relating to indica/hybrid grows vs. Pure Sativa....do they run the blumats w rez on a timer just like hydro then or is constant pressure required as in tap.....I am guessing timer so they are different size whats good for 1 and 5 gallons??

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
No timers involved, Blumats provide a constant flow as needed by each individual plant. Each ceramic sensor has an adjustment and as the water flows into the pot, the sensor gets wet and shuts down the water supply to the adjustment level. It sounds really high tech but it's pretty ingenious IMHO and fantastic if you have the patience and attention to dial them in to each individual plants needs.

If you travel for more than a couple days, I would strongly suggest learning about them so you don't lose your grow while you're away.

As far as your lighting question, I think if you reduce light time now as opposed to later you will probably reduce overall yield. If you don't, you may reduce yield due to plants that stretch too much for your space.

I know that probably seems like a non answer, but even outdoors for me the first go around with a new strain is rarely cut and dry and dialed in - there is almost always a learning curve, especially with NLD genetics. I find them often more difficult to get a handle on than most hybrids or WLD dominant strains.

D

Dr.Suess

thats just the pics but a couple did get a bit tip burn from the soil mix 3 others not affected. The shorter ones are looking best.

I only have hps so hps it shall go this run.

Oh ok, do you have a better picture as I wasn't referring to the leaf curl/burn but more the blemishes on the leaves which look like pest damage but a better picture would clear that up.:tiphat:

H

Hu73

LostTribe's Purple Haze

LostTribe's Purple Haze

The wild sats will give you a learning experience. For instance, if you need to be away, and know that small pots will dry out, you can put them in bigger pots, say 6 or 8 liters, just don't add high nitrogen components to the soil mix. This way, with more soil volume, they need watering less often. Have you considered upping the veg lights to t5? I use two Horti-Lux Power-veg and two blue fluorescents and keep them very close, like 2 or 3 inches. Always excellent results. The t5's keep the plants real healthy. I would only use t 12's for cloning. Best of luck.

LostTribe

Premium user
Dubi told me that my 400 hortilux is the way to go so once I set up the tent they will go there. I asked whether a cmh or hortilux would he suggest and also note that the cmh is rated 24k lumens while the horilux is 55k lumens both 400.

LostTribe

Premium user
Oh ok, do you have a better picture as I wasn't referring to the leaf curl/burn but more the blemishes on the leaves which look like pest damage but a better picture would clear that up.:tiphat:

There aren't any it must be the pic or i misted them before pic.

LostTribe

Premium user
Next time, grow all Sativas under a T-5 to start and then flower under a MH.

This would have greatly controlled their stretching. I haven't used an HPS in over 10 years.

Keep the HPS lights for Indicas.

Get a 400MH instead of the 400HPS.

Think blue light spectrum with Sativa from now on.

SHit its in the bottom of your sig! all along been looking for that!

corky1968

Veteran
SHit its in the bottom of your sig! all along been looking for that!

I thought the words were big enough. :laughing:

The real funny thing is that's in your own thread. :biggrin:

I'll have to make a HOW TO MANAGE SATIVAS INDOORS update using my own experiences one day.

LostTribe

Premium user
They haven't stretched much since I put them under the 150 hps hoping by mid week to have them on a 400w hortilux hps.

What about feeding php soil formula its 1-5-4 with Liquid Karma with mild solution....I am gonna put some more indonesian high P guano on them this week as I haven't top dressed since putting in these pots but dont want to burn them up....1 looks burned its the tallest one the 3 shorter onces are looking green and healthy and haven't stretched much at all.

I am on 12/12. Will I be able to take clones with my indica's on 24/0?! When can I move them to 11/13?

LostTribe

Premium user
So I have been looking at the blumats so it appears they work on a siphon so the rez needs to be lower than the spike right? Do the small ones work on smaller 10 inch size pots I think mine are 8 inch now but will go bigger at end of stretch.....

corky1968

Veteran
They haven't stretched much since I put them under the 150 hps hoping by mid week to have them on a 400w hortilux hps.

What about feeding php soil formula its 1-5-4 with Liquid Karma with mild solution....I am gonna put some more indonesian high P guano on them this week as I haven't top dressed since putting in these pots but dont want to burn them up....1 looks burned its the tallest one the 3 shorter onces are looking green and healthy and haven't stretched much at all.

I am on 12/12. Will I be able to take clones with my indica's on 24/0?! When can I move them to 11/13?

I cloned my Sativas with 15 hours and I bet using 18 hours is more than enough with Indicas.

With my current Sativa grow I'm going to clone with my standard.
In other words, 14 hours of light for vegetative growth with Sativas.

I also like reducing my light photoperiod by 1 hour per week when going into flowering.

Personally I think using 24 hours of light is a waste of electricity and not natural for any plant.

Feed them lightly. Be careful with that bat guano.

Reservoirs should always be lower for them to work by gravity and do get a reservoir
at least 50% larger than the amount of water you use to avoid nasty overflow spills.

LostTribe

Premium user
I will try to put them on 18/6 then.....They arent really stretching much so far but I want to get them under a bigger light asap my tent is here!

LostTribe

Premium user
This is what Dubi had to say when I asked about taking clones from the sativa's.

I would recommend you to veg them for 20 days from seed with classic 18/6 photoperiod, then switch into flowering with 11/13 photoperiod for the most part of the flowering, only change to 10/14 at the end of flowering.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

Have a great start of week, dubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTribe
so with pure sativas I have seen some going straight to 10/14 but wouldn't that cause yield to suffer greatly?

What is your recommendation for indoor? Wait until sex or end of stretch??

I am on 12/12 currently. othaze purple, zamaldelica and a malawi involved....

LostTribe

Premium user
I did put all the pure Sativa's back on 18/6 for a bit longer they need to bush out a bit and I will take cuts before going straight to 11/13.

Latest posts

Latest posts