What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Auto Repair Rip-off...

Hybrid technology is improving.But small engine cars like the civic,geo metro and camry have been hitting 40mpg for years.A geo metro in tip top shape gets comparable gas mileage to a brand new all gas car.Most hybrids like prius struggle to hit 50mpg.with the added cost of maintaining a hybrid plus payments the old 40mpg compact cars are more economical.Plus you can do the maintenance.

browntrout

Veteran
Lol looks like one of your flux capacitors is shot. Don't ever let them tell you, you need an EGR valve unless your trying to pass emissions. I didn't mean to hurt people with my comment, but people how can you bet your life in a vehicle if you have no idea how it works? Seems dangerous to me lol. an hour or two of youtube videos or reading can give you a good idea of how things work and cost if you get deeper into it.

I am talking of people who are basically simpletons (which would cover a good majority of population), not so much you folks on here lol.

justpassnthru

Veteran
This discussion reminds me of hearing about 3 - cylinder engines; Toyota is claiming a 78 mpg and there are reports the 4 cylinder engines are now 3 cylinders. BMW and others are all going to 3 cylinders. I recall when a lawnmower was 2.

http://www.gizmag.com/toyota-atkinson-engines-improved-thermal-fuel-efficiency/31615/

In 1976 I had a little 914 Porsche that was getting 52 miles a gallon, at high rates of speed. It shouldn't be that difficult to manufacture cars that are more efficient. When I was a kid my dad knew a guy that was getting 75mpg with some carburetor he invented and sold the technology to a major US car manufacturer and vanished. jpt

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
My mechanic charges $75 an hour. I then give him $75 worth of bud per hour. He then gives it to a friend who has colon cancer. I buy the parts for his cost.

Three way win in my eyes. All came about because he smelled the current trim job I was working on when I was shoveling the neighbors drive and he drove by. Was my nieghbors drive that I shovel when I can for free. She is 89 and has no business shoveling.

When ever I can, I trade weed for stuff. Traded for a tractor once. Also for trimming of buds. Getting the body done on a car for my daughter.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
all in all well maintained older rides end up being cheaper...IMHO when them cars break down something actually breaks lol.. newer cars and computer shit has benefits when its all working well,,once the smoke gets let out of the computer shit the magic is gone lol...fucking sensors alone can bankrupt ya...my next ride will have a hookup for my laptop and programs.... got a timing belt change coming up and i need a special puller...found it like 79$ on ebay......peace

NorsebyNW

I'm just guessing here but is your CR-V a 1997-2001? The reason I ask is because this vehicle has a very difficult jack to locate. I worked at a Honda dealer and people always claimed the jack was missing. Ninety nine times out of a hundred it wasn't. If in fact I'm correct in the year feel free to contact me and If be happy to help you locate it in the vehicle.

justpassnthru

Veteran
Norse by NW; Good guess, 2000. I think it use to be in that little compartment under the carpet in the back that has a picnic table and when I lift that out the basket for a tire is empty and under that, more empty. To the right and left sides there are little holes covered and under the carpet.

I Know I had a jack under there and I don't see one. I haven't checked that area, since 2009. The lug bar was removed and left on top of the carpet and those two little pieces that covered the other hole(to the side of it), only thing left was shot gun shells, bullets and the lug bar for the nuts.

I thought it was clamped down under that empty tire looking plastic insert.

I am all ears if it is somewhere else. It rattles back there now, without it. Thanks for any information? :ying: jpt

Last edited:
Google the spare tire location for your ride, and you should find it somewhere. If you are reasonably certain it's missing, I would go to a local junk yard and buy used replacements INCLUDING THE SCREW/TIEDOWN THINGYs. You should be able to find the exact replacement for cheap.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Ahh mechanics and women....

My wife learned a long time ago that if she wants to not get cheated..then she had better go to the same mechanic her dad has used for the last 15 yrs or so.

$50 a hour for shop fee's, parts about 15% above cost....just make sure you have cash when you pick up your vehicle...no credit with Dave.

Oil change places are the worst, those chains try and sucker in what they think are non-car savy women all the time.

We now just take it to the same mechanic and have him do it for a quick $20. He has a hoist so it is a quick 20bucks + oil for him. My FIL brings him oil and a case of beer when he needs his changed.

I do simple things like change wheel bearings, brake jobs, etc. But anything larger goes to Dave.

My advise to the women out there....Find out where your Dad's, brothers, etc. take their cars....get introduced by the guy who knows the mechanic and go from there.

Me...I'm still trying to figure out if Dave smokes mj cause I sure would like to give him some free bud for the times I have called asking "mechanic" type questions.

Oh and for those who have never cleaned their MAS sensor...mass airflow sensor thing.... DO IT.... I thought my Montana with 421,000km was heading to the scrap yard when all it was was the stupid sensor had never been cleaned.... Since I always changed the filter Dave never cleaned this for me.

OH...final bit of advise..... Don't smoke before posting....it makes your posts ramble like a mofo.

justpassnthru

Veteran
Ahh mechanics and women....

My wife learned a long time ago that if she wants to not get cheated..then she had better go to the same mechanic her dad has used for the last 15 yrs or so.

$50 a hour for shop fee's, parts about 15% above cost....just make sure you have cash when you pick up your vehicle...no credit with Dave.

Oil change places are the worst, those chains try and sucker in what they think are non-car savy women all the time.

We now just take it to the same mechanic and have him do it for a quick $20. He has a hoist so it is a quick 20bucks + oil for him. My FIL brings him oil and a case of beer when he needs his changed.

I do simple things like change wheel bearings, brake jobs, etc. But anything larger goes to Dave.

My advise to the women out there....Find out where your Dad's, brothers, etc. take their cars....get introduced by the guy who knows the mechanic and go from there.

Me...I'm still trying to figure out if Dave smokes mj cause I sure would like to give him some free bud for the times I have called asking "mechanic" type questions.

Oh and for those who have never cleaned their MAS sensor...mass airflow sensor thing.... DO IT.... I thought my Montana with 421,000km was heading to the scrap yard when all it was was the stupid sensor had never been cleaned.... Since I always changed the filter Dave never cleaned this for me.

OH...final bit of advise..... Don't smoke before posting....it makes your posts ramble like a mofo.

It's ok to smoke, many of us need it for medicine and can't read without it!

Well, I had more car issues: Over-heating. The dealership and both places I took that 2000 Honda CR-v too, insisted I needed a radiator. I had the guy that did the repairs change out the radiator. There was some rust like water coming from it. That was earlier in the year, in July, it overheated. Had the thermostat switched out at the roadside, everything else was new. I asked the guy that replaced the radiator if he replaced the radiator cap with the radiator.

Guess what, he changed the hose's the first time it overheated and was towed in, what else could it be. The thermostat and water pump are 3 years old. Ultimately, it was the radiator cap, doh..he didn't charge me for the next 2 visits for overheating. Said it was the radiator cap.

Now, I clearly wonder if I ever needed a radiator to begin with?

I just found out that my neighbors husband used a mechanic near here, since he was an editor to Motor Trend, I expect his mechanic cough cough..won't cheat me, we'll see? Looking at new cars, though. I hate being stuck at the side of the road waiting for AAA.

jpt

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have/had a geo metro convertible..^^^^ old lady got it.. fun car in city scary on highway...changing engines is easy and used ones from overseas were relatively cheap and low miles...3 bangers lol... my software and cables are coming this month for laptop .. I am buying everything they got software wise..then I can diagnose ,program anything..monitor all sensors .pretty much everything a dealership can do...yeehaw,,, and making side cash wont be bad either

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
its not just you ladies.. I know quite a few guys taken in too.. sometimes incompetent mechanics toss parts at problems hoping to solve the issue.EDIT I also recommend instead of buying a scanner for codes buying soft ware from totalcardiagnostics,or ebay TOAD for your laptop if ya got one...don't buy the cord from the site. ebay has em cheap ..elm327 cable or Bluetooth...total cost about 70$ depending on how much software you buy...yeehaw

Former Guest

can't you just take some cable wire that is used for hooking up car stereos/amps and then go under you glovebox area and find a plastic thing that connects two wires that also has two more holes, then connect the loop with the cable wire by poking both ends into the holes, then watch the check engine light for the code by counting the blinks? is that only with certain cars?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
diff cars have diff methods of pulling codes... I had one car you moved a fuse to a slot and It gave codes .. my ride now I turn key on off a few times and leave it on and it gives codes..but its real basic and don't give you all info needed.. with my software and cables I can monitor everything and record random faults.. I can check fuel pressure all sensors everything the computer in car has.even real time fuel consumption. pretty much everything a shop can do..way more than cheapo handheld units unless you got a snapon unit of similar and they are big bucks..software is 47$$ and cheap elf327 about 10$ on ebay.. I bought a cheap elf and a real one 37$ for real one unless you buy from maker in Canada and then its 21$ and 8$ shipping..so all in all about half a decent handheld unit and way better..with a tuner program I can reprogram car computer for more hp or whatever I want..without a scanner/reader you cant clear codes,even disconnecting battery don't clear codes they remain in memory of computer...they do go away in my car if not repeated after several driving cycles tho...

blastfrompast

Veteran
I meant ME..lol

I tend to ramble when I'm medicated..lol

It's ok to smoke, many of us need it for medicine and can't read without it!

Well, I had more car issues: Over-heating. The dealership and both places I took that 2000 Honda CR-v too, insisted I needed a radiator. I had the guy that did the repairs change out the radiator. There was some rust like water coming from it. That was earlier in the year, in July, it overheated. Had the thermostat switched out at the roadside, everything else was new. I asked the guy that replaced the radiator if he replaced the radiator cap with the radiator.

Guess what, he changed the hose's the first time it overheated and was towed in, what else could it be. The thermostat and water pump are 3 years old. Ultimately, it was the radiator cap, doh..he didn't charge me for the next 2 visits for overheating. Said it was the radiator cap.

Now, I clearly wonder if I ever needed a radiator to begin with?

I just found out that my neighbors husband used a mechanic near here, since he was an editor to Motor Trend, I expect his mechanic cough cough..won't cheat me, we'll see? Looking at new cars, though. I hate being stuck at the side of the road waiting for AAA.

jpt

armedoldhippy

Veteran
mechanics with no scruples are just...barely...above lawyers in my book. some of them would steal from their relatives. my wife took her Ford Explorer in once because the heat wouldn't come on. dealership wanted $360 for new blend motor that shifts blend door back & forth from hot to cold. sounded great, until I talked to a buddy that worked there. he told me "yeah, but it will be $1400 labor to install it. so I figured out how to fix it with an exacto knife & about 2 feet of duct tape every 6 months or so. :tiphat: fuck a bunch of dealerships! repairs is where they make the biggest profit margin...

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
I have never owned a car but I do have a similar experience with my bicycle...

All last year I suffered from a reoccurring flat rear tire. I mean almost every week!
My dude is a pretty handy man and he took off the back wheel so many times that we lost count. We tried putting the inner tube on a water bath to find the leaks. Patched them and still more flats. Bought a set of new tubes and thought that would be the answer.
Still more flats...
Glass in the tire we thought.
So after it sat unused over winter, last week I decided to take it into the nearest bike shop to finally get a new tire. I go in with my bike and ask the guy for a service, explaining about the constant flats. He gets out this little metal chain gauge tool from his pocket and measures the spaces between the chain links. Then he tells me my chain is stretched and I need a new chain and full chain ring system as well as a new dérailleur !

I almost slapped him silly.
I explained to him that I was not rich and could he please just fix the tire problem.
It ended up costing 30 bucks instead of 300.
Buyer beware
Knowledge is power

Latest posts

Latest posts