What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rooted but stunted yellowing clones

colo720

Here are the updates from the round of clones taken 2/22

1. the added nutrients definitely help. there is less yellowing and less stunting at the top of plants.
2. the rooting took longer, i think due to cutting back the light from 24 hours to 18 hours.
3. i don't think carbon monoxide is the problem - the clones from either room turned out equal
4. the problem is also the mothers - some of the mother plants that appear fine apparently are stressed or went though stress and I can tell that by how some clones look at day 14 vs clones brought in from outside the garden.

I think the solution is increased nutrient, stick with around 500ppm, and I like flora nova grow. I threw out all the current moms and in future aiming to just take cuttings from plants the day before I kick them into flower.

thanks for all your help!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm glad you found some direction pal.

500 is imo a bit low, but after 3 or 4 dunks, the root zone will be toxic if you go higher. When they're not feeding, the dry out is mainly water leaving. So if we dunk every few days, the feed in the substrate accumulates. This number of tray dunkings is very different between growers. With some high humidity environments, leading to rooted cutting on virtually the water they started with. While other growers dropping the RH as soon as possible may water every 3 days. So each would have very different ideas of feed required. Adopt the notion that if you ever find yourself dunking more often, you might need to top feed to run off every few feeds, or lower your EC value. But as most of us find the optimum EC and want to keep to it, a drip to waste 'clean out' requires a lot less consideration.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cut a few 1-2" thick slices of potato and place them on the surface of your pots. The pots with the worst looking plants in them. If it's root aphids, which I suspect it is (even though you scoped the roots), you'll see them rather easily in 5-7 days. Simply turn the slices over and watch them carefully.

They move pretty quick. ;)

colo720

Hi, thanks for your input but definitely not root aphids. i've had root aphids i and got rid of them many years ago (thanks to research and conclusions drawn from icmag).

I've figured out this problem with the clones - the recent batch is just 7 days old and already popping roots and deep green leaves with healthy tops. I'm waiting a few days and I'll take some more pics, then close the thread. as I wrote, the problem was low nutrients and hormonally screwed up moms. the recent batch all look great i used 600ppm (ec500) and took cuttings from young vegging plants. pics in the next few days.