What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can you explain this:

T

Teddybrae

The plant is a Haze x Diesel just begun flowering. It’s growing in local soil amended with animal manures aerated by worms. Various foliar amendments are routine. The plant has just been generously watered. (That’s a wire mesh armature you see supporting the bush.)

The ‘damage’ has not been caused by an animal. There is not a mark or scratch anywhere on the branch. Instead the branch is twisted and the twist has directed the branch downward.

Does anyone know what may have caused this?

picture.php

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A strong wind could do that but then more turned down branches would be expected.

A bird that the branch cannot support may have landed on the branch.
Maybe a chipmunk or a squerl of some sort may have turned it down in an attempt to scale it.
Did it get hit by a joey?

There's really no telling what caused that to happen from my point of view.
Is the plant damaged or is the branch just turned down?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Very recent looking damage. The leaves havn't turned.

Is there a lesion at the break? Some sort of weakness that could of caused it

T

Teddybrae

Thanks All!

No not a flying Joey, MJ (Wallabies don't eat cannabis plants) ... and no break ... no visible damage. fresh occurrence? The branch is still growing well. yes f-e. AgentP, the twist takes up the whole stem. it is a gradual twist over distance.

the only thing I can think is: it has to do with the generous watering I gave the plant. I think I recall seeing plants do this after a big rain ... they kinda fall apart to let in the sun when the rain allows access to lots of food.

Anyway that's all I can think. Maybe some large plant growers will look here and give their opinions.

Thanks everyone except Buzzmobile who is obviously tripping and shouldn't post when he is.

Dog Star

Veteran
Looks like your plant need lollypopping a bit...

actually she tryed to tell you this Teddy.. ;D LOL

but i guess you dont get those subtile signs of her..

Rodehazrd

:smoke:Looks like a Haint to me. They can be quite naughty, so paint the pot Haint Blue. That will stop any further damage. Its a Sherwin Williams product for protection from Raw Head and Bloody Bones but works on lesser Haints too.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

PDX Dopesmoker

The lower branches on big outdoor seed plants tend to be somewhat suicidal if they don't get substantial support. That might be the legacy of letting indoor growers breed plants, I dunno, but when they're like yours, when they're reversing the shape of how they attach to the main stem from coming upwards out of the stem to emerging in a downwards direction, they're really unstable and tend to get twisted because they don't have any bowing. I had a completely unsupported diesel dumptruck strain with some haze in it last summer and it wasn't as big as yours, there was a rain storm at about 6 weeks of flower and I ended up with buds pointing in all sorts of directions.
All that arching curvature stuff is really structurally important, makes wonder if the ancients figured out some of their architecture secrets by growing the weed.

T

Teddybrae

OK! Thanks for your input PDX. I figured it was something like that. A second Haze/Diesel cross is doing the same thing with two branches.

Most likely the branches will be removed anyway to facilitate airflow during flowering.

Thanks again!!!

The lower branches on big outdoor seed plants tend to be somewhat suicidal if they don't get substantial support. That might be the legacy of letting indoor growers breed plants, I dunno, but when they're like yours, when they're reversing the shape of how they attach to the main stem from coming upwards out of the stem to emerging in a downwards direction, they're really unstable and tend to get twisted because they don't have any bowing. I had a completely unsupported diesel dumptruck strain with some haze in it last summer and it wasn't as big as yours, there was a rain storm at about 6 weeks of flower and I ended up with buds pointing in all sorts of directions.
All that arching curvature stuff is really structurally important, makes wonder if the ancients figured out some of their architecture secrets by growing the weed.

Latest posts

Latest posts