What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a question about wide-spread hemp...

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
actually, outdoor hemp farmers prefer to use feminized seed in which only about 1 out of 4000 is male. they look for those and try to eliminate them as soon as possible.

the ones who are not using feminized seed diligently walk their fields in weeks 5 and 6 to eliminate all males before they throw pollen. this is to keep extraction yield up.

this is for cbd oil extraction which is what most hemp farmers in the U.S. are growing for.

hemp farmers growing for fiber will usually take all plants before pollination can occur so they pose little threat as well.

it is the ones growing for seed that you have to worry about as they will just let everything go full course until harvest.

but so far few farmers in north america are growing for seed as the chinese have a strong presence in the seed for food market.

Cool! Thats pretty good news. I think I'll pass on the chinese hemp! :smoke:

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Has there ever been a test on the results of crossing a high thc strain with pure hemp? In nature how many generation until the thc is effected?

troutman

Seed Whore
Has there ever been a test on the results of crossing a high thc strain with pure hemp? In nature how many generation until the thc is effected?

It's been done I'm sure and I think the cannabinoid levels average out.

Over time and depending on selection of course it will change.

I suspect a good majority of the CBD strains today are just that. :tiphat:

hunt4genetics

Veteran
It's been done I'm sure and I think the cannabinoid levels average out.

Over time and depending on selection of course it will change.

I suspect a good majority of the CBD strains today are just that. :tiphat:

Would it happen in 1 generation? For example a hemp male pollinates, a haze female. It produces seeds. Those seed are planted, how much would potency drop in that 1st generation of plants that grow?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Would it happen in 1 generation? For example a hemp male pollinates, a haze female. It produces seeds. Those seed are planted, how much would potency drop in that 1st generation of plants that grow?

Any combination of things could happen to both the genotype and phenotype. You'd have to pollinate hundreds of females with hundreds of males to explore it. A daunting and expensive task to get results in only a couple years.

You could do one for fun I suppose.:tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore
Any combination of things could happen to both the genotype and phenotype. You'd have to pollinate hundreds of females with hundreds of males to explore it. A daunting and expensive task to get results in only a couple years.

You could do one for fun I suppose.:tiphat:

Or you could plant hemp seeds beside an LP and let them figure it out. :peek:

gorilla ganja

From what I have read when crossing a high THC cultivar with a high CBD cultivar the resulting offspring are roughly as follows.
25% high THC
50% 1:1 ratio
25% high CBD

Peace GG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
It could end up something like the recent case of the organic farmer Steve Marsh, who took a neighbouring farmer, Mr Baxter, who was using GM crops, to court for wind contamination of his organic crops, and losing his organic certification. The court ruled against the organic farmer with Monsanto bankrolling the GM farmer.
""""""""""The court found neighbour Michael Baxter had not acted negligently and could not be held responsible just for growing a GM crop in a conventional way. It also awarded Mr Baxter costs.""""""""""

If the table is turned and a farmer wants to plant cleaned corn seeds and they get MON pollen on them, they sue.

troutman

Seed Whore
Luckily, Hemp is normally planted in agricultural fields.

So mountain guerilla growers would be safe from Hemp pollen if they are far enough.

No farmers fields near my mountain grown Wild Tomatoes. :biggrin:

EastFortRock

In Southern Oregon the hemp growers are growing for CBD. They don’t want males and they pay people to walk the fields looking for hermies and males. Even so, The friend of of a friend got his backyard THC grow seeded by a neighboring hemp field.

'Boogieman'

In the midwest we have wild hemp, if a potent high thc plant gets pollinated by hemp the next generation never got me high and I have grown out many seeds that resulted from this and it's always been garbage.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Are the hemp farmers at risk of having a "hot" crop if their hemp females are pollinated by THC pollen? This 0.3% thing is a silly joke really.