What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fractional (Short Path) Distillation information?

atosvitara

Hi all.

I have been searching for information or tutorials on how to do short path distillation, but I'm having a hard time with the quest.

In youtube I have found some videos, but not really helpful, a lot of theory but not actual distillation.

This is the info I have been relying on:

Fractional distillation protocol for first pass main body collection. - Summit Research

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hFjExd8vc

I got my distillation kit today but I'm intimidated by the whole process.

Any of you could help me with the process or experience of how to start?

I do know the theory, or at least the info I have found has helped me form a general idea of the process, but it would be great to have something more professional or visual information of how to distill pure THC.

The thing is I really want to get it right. I have seen a lot of people having problems with the smells, purity and "taste".

Thanks in advance, hope there is some info out there you can share.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Time to do some reading. Tons of info in the concentrates forum. Elliot from Summit might not be the best to learn from...lol. Much better and many more videos out there on Youtube. Do more searching
picture.php

peace, negative.

proshi

hey, we have been distilling in the short path using decarboxylated oil derived from hash. as we arrive to our terpenes fraction and into our cannibinoids our hoze going to our cold trap gets jammed full of oil and needs constant help clearing. if we cut the cold trap out will that oil cause that to go goes into the pump or is it the cold causing the condensation at that joint? also does all the odour come out the oil during the first fraction? or are there some other odours at higher boiling points? also any tips to get a deeper vacuum all round?
many thanks people any help much appreciated on first and second pass short path distillation.
peace.

That's a common problem, and the reason most of the more in tune mfgs switched to "full bore" setups rather than using hose.

After your terps fraction, you will have a heads fraction. It also stinks, and should be kept separate from you main body. Heads will typically be cloudy, main body clear.

Are you using vacuum grease? Do you have a leak? What type of cold trap?

troutman

Seed Whore
Before trying fancy extract distillations I recommend you distill water the 1st time.

It's a good learning experience if you've never used glassware before. :)

Spinme

The terps will come over first check boiling and melting points then very slowly rise temps sure to hault addition of heat at each fraction and I can't see your setup but with a really good condensor