What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Reflective Films - tested

Drop That Sound

Paint or white plastics are only good if you already have good insulation and or sheetrock on your framing.

Other wise why not use reflective backed foam boards.@ $10-15 per 4x8 sheet. Use bigger washers with screws to cinch em up nice to studs or whatever. Good R-values.

Or my personal fav as well, but costlier.. reflectix bubble wrap insulation. Usually comes in 16", 24", and 48" wide rolls from 10' ,25', and up to 100 ft long. (didn't even make the list!)

Both types are reflective+insulation in 1!

Reflectix, if mounted 1" away from the wall, I think adds like R6 value to it. Just toss up a bunch of 1" strips (I just used 2x2s so 1.5" for me) where the seems are. The best part about this is the ability to hide wires and plumbing behind it. Get a little cut here and there? No big deal just throw a small piece of metal tape on it.

G

Bringing back an old thread isnt ideal but I am curious if any of these films are an upgrade for the material used in Gorilla tents? Is it worth the money to buy one of them and add it to the inner walls of a tent.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fleur mask sheeting,,
From France and expensive but ya could start a bonfire behind it like in there og advert
Is as good as orca or better ?
Perfect blackout though ,,,, s2

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You mean the FLIR mask?

Seems to be the best.. im on a new build and upgrading some ish..

Yep that’s the one,,
Had it up for a while now and no light leaks in a floor to ceiling and length of wall window,,,
added some black and white for extra insurance ,,.s2:tiphat:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Thanks for that feedback buddy

The FLIRmask should really be completely light proof though?

Im guessing the black white is on the back?

The reflective properties of the FLIR beat orca..

:tiphat:

R

Rab.C

Fleur mask sheeting,,
From France and expensive but ya could start a bonfire behind it like in there og advert
Is as good as orca or better ?
Perfect blackout though ,,,, s2

i was looking at this but says you need too upgrade extraction

by 30% it reflects red and blue light better than any other grow sheeting.The Infra-red radiation is reflected back into the room,

Absolem

I'm not a fan of reflective films. Used them for a while and couldn't believe how nasty the back was when it got torn down. White paint only for me.

Drop That Sound

Parkland Plastics 48-in x 8-ft Embossed White Matte Plastic Wall Panel
Item # 72405 Model # 688840

$19.98

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-Plastics-48-in-x-8-ft-Embossed-White-Matte-Plastic-Wall-Panel/3436816

Revolutionary PLAS-TEX PolyWall wall panels provide a logical alternative to fiberglass when the wall needs to be waterproof, sanitary, durable, and easy to clean. PLAS-TEX PolyWall helps you build green because it’s made entirely of recycled plastic and all scraps can be recycled. PLAS-TEX PolyWall panels go up fast and easy.
32 sq ft per panel
100% waterproof - no swelling, rotting, or water discoloration
Does not support mold, mildew, or bacteria growth
Made from 100% recycled resins
Not affected by acids, harsh chemical solvents, or petroleum products
Class C fire rating per ASTM E-84
USDA approved for use in food preparation facilities.

^ Im really liking plastex wall panels, been using it more often now and probably replace everything on my walls with it when I need to. Lowes version are a few bucks cheaper than HD @ 20 a sheet compared to $24. Seems to be very reflective ,when up against a wall of course, much cheaper than FRP.

By the time you take the time to primer and paint a room with a few coats, and deal with the mess and cleanup, you could have sheeted a whole room with the panels instead quicker for not much more. Especially if you were using quality paint and counting labor and the amount of coats and time, makes it worth it if you ask me.

Contact spray adhesive in a can works better than the troweled on adhesive IMO.

Say your doing a 4x8x8 room thats 6 sheets or around $120 or a little more if using the recommended trim for the seams, which isn't bad considering how good you can scrub the walls and not worry about scratching paint, etc. Its a nice material to work with and flexible too. Fun to work with, looks great, and easy to install!

pinkus

Veteran
I use Mylar, but

I use Mylar, but

It is wise to remember that Mylar conducts electricity very effectively. Since we are all using water and mostly high wattage lighting, if using Mylar type films, be careful!

:shooty: