What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magnetically levitated plants!

Pumpkin

Veteran
Seems a waste to have the bucket. Why don't you drip feed RTW in coco. Just so you can see the awesomeness.

Shame your fan would keep blowing your plant off :)

You should do this for one of those solo cup competitions. I'd use led rope lights on a metal frame around the plant in a sphere shape just for added bling. If you could tie your sphere from a frame and having it rotating to the opposite direction of the plant... that woud be so worth it :)

4873.jpg

Drop That Sound

Seems a waste to have the bucket. Why don't you drip feed RTW in coco. Just so you can see the awesomeness.

Shame your fan would keep blowing your plant off :)

You should do this for one of those solo cup competitions. I'd use led rope lights on a metal frame around the plant in a sphere shape just for added bling. If you could tie your sphere from a frame and having it rotating to the opposite direction of the plant... that woud be so worth it :)

That would be totally awesome. maybe even configure it for a biowave harmonic frequency feild thats contained in the faraday light sphere. haha it would probably cause a disturbance in the space continuum and a portal would open up, and a hand would reach through and pluck a nug off the plant. then he'd give a thumbs up.

Seriously though I cant wait to get my hands on the air bonsai unit and experiment, Id propably use a clear bucket or add a window for pleasure

ClownKiller

A 4ft+ diameter disc would be an awesome base inside a flood table. Spin the ladies like a carousel so you can reach the faraway ones without needing a bachiotomy. Might as well make em spin 24/7 while you're at it

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
My avatar is revolving.

Very uniform growth. It's from seed obviously, but really look at that uniformity. I accidentally trimmed off a tiny little semicircular branch at the very bottom, but come on. That's uniform.

My $10 turners crap out with any real weight on them. They're solar powered, but even with a wall-wart that little motor has it's limitations.

I have been looking for 'cup' competitions, holding out on this info to keep an edge lol But a rotating cup competition?

Wanna get really ghetto? How fast does a microwave oven plate go round?

I reckon that might be to fast. You won't get the timeless mesmerising effect when you stare at it going round.

Drop That Sound

https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Air-Bonsai-Levitation/

How to make your own little air bonzai maglev ^

The price has really dropped over the last few years for smaller devices from what I remember, which might be enough to support a solo cup grow. Ill research a bit more on the best cheap one and if it can. I would blow 100 bucks or so np if it can hold a solo cup with watered down coco ;)

I really want one of the Crealev CLM's..
The CLM-2 can hold like 20 lbs I think and levitate up to 87mm high. Im afraid to request a quote from their site though lol. Maybe the arduino diy version could be scaled up easily..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1gMMM62NC-4

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Here's is a $4.5 turntable https://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Solar-...hash=item1cc6dcb497:m:mbvEUUcua6Brd5dy0pd83Qw

You can see it's a motor with a square shaft screwed under the platform.
It takes 3-500g as it is. A bit weak on solar.
A microwave turntable motor mounts the same way. It's shaft is a D. The typical D shaft found on variable resistors. You could could get a 99 cent knob on the D shaft, then glue the 4" platform on top of the knob. I don't believe a couple of Kg would squish the motor. Finding a scrap microwave and trying it would be the best start though.

Then you can drop a bar magnet in the substrate if you want to see how the magnetic field of a levitation device effects them. Or have a stationary magnet beside the turning pot if you want to do something new.

If you just want the cool appearance of a floating plant, I got nothing. A couple of oz wet is half a Kg. Swinging around quite high up. It's not squat. Them lev coils will have some work to do balancing that.

I have a 5 pack of super silver haze I can put in the prize fund, if we get a cup grow on.

Drop That Sound

Funny thing, I was gonna cut the bottom of a microwave oven out and wear it as a faraday helmet to block the 5g rays that will be beaming from every few poles pretty much everywhere in the next year or so. Ill be able to see through the door window that is designed to block the waves as is lol.

Mostly just to see the publics reaction, if not protect myself from the possible harm. Ill be sure to add stickers explaining the dangers of 5g towers on the helmet so people dont just think im trying to cook my brain and a complete nutjob. They just passed a bill that allows telco's to install cell boxes without public comment locally. Tin foil hat wearers will have nothing on me, ill be the craziest person there ever was to those who dont understand, but I doubt the news would report on me so people begin to fear the rollout. But then again the people that allow it in the first place might be crazier.

Ill have a spare mic oven motor/gearbox for a TT, as well as the transformer, which might be used for a tesla coil to wirelessly light a CFL bulb that the solo cup grow uses. ;)

I am totally a sucker for wanting the cup to actually levitate, but kind of a cheapskate too if it cost more than a few bills to hold the cup.. Arduino DIY maglev looks cool but Ill need to come up with a part list to scale it up to make it worthwhile.

Meanwhile I busted out my mini neodymium magnets and gonna try to levitate a spinning top for fun

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
As the platform needs no center, could the levitating bar magnet be stopped from turning over by simply hanging a weight from it.

Tape the bar magnet to a pen, where the pocket clip usually resides. Then the pen dangles down through the doughnut like field. The suspended bar magnet would need to be strong enough to hold up the pen, but not strong enough to climb out of that depression. It would be a fine balancing act. Ruined by watering.

There must be a number of executive toys being sold on eBay. Basically the right bits, that just need beefing up.

I like the image of the floating plant and a lamp that appears to have no power source.