What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Speed Breeding!

Halakon

Is it possible for me to take some of my Giant seed collection from over the years, and do a speed Breeding pheno run off 12/12 seeds

talking small and fast! does maturity of plants effect genetics, id assume genetics are pretty much locked in seed from seed, but i want to experiment and run 12/12 under cfl solo cups in a closet away from all my grow tents and starting try to cross Orange Kush with my Candy Cheese, seeds that i have a Surplus of and then once crossed and seeded, run a Pheno hunt from there on and possible stabilizing taking clones when needed, or reveging

anyone care to discuss id def keep a Journal on it

amanda88

Yes.. I've done this method before, germ the seeds and put them to 12x12 immediately,

is getting popular with young members looking for a quick toke,

but as a permanent method to grow,

its a waste of some good seeds

imo/ but for just seeds ...its great

cheers

LostTribe

Premium user
you won't get jack shit off a regular plant started at 12/12 unless its a pure sativa flowering 10 plus weeks or much longer. Veg them first!

FireIn.TheSky

It is a total waste of time, this method is only even slightly useful if running a pure sativa strain.

For most other regular strains you A. will not yield jack shit and B. the plant will still vegetate for a few weeks before producing flowers, so a normally 9 week flowering strain will still take 12 wks plus, same as it would have if you just veg'd for 3 weeks.

corky1968

Veteran
Even if you pull it off. You might not get lots of seeds on a plant forced to produce so fast.

Halakon

people act like im looking for yeild i just wanna cross a Orange Kush Male i have in veg state, with some 12/12 seed Cheese Kandy plants, to hopefully produce seeds, to do a real run for pheno selection and later stabilization

Tynehead Tom

my guess is very few seeds will mature do the stress of getting 12/12 from seed and going rootbound in a solo cup. I'd question the quality of any seeds produced.
The best results I've had for "fast" seed making with Indica and 70%indica/30%sativa strains in Vegging in the solo cup or 4" pot to till the 3rd node is formed and then transplant to a 1 gallon and flip to 12/12. usually results in several hundred nice healthy seeds if left to ripen fully. Interesting to hear about other folks experiments tho, just speaking from personal experience.
I've had similar result vegging clones for 10 days only and flipping to 12/12 to make seed but not seedlings.

corky1968

Veteran
people act like im looking for yeild i just wanna cross a Orange Kush Male i have in veg state, with some 12/12 seed Cheese Kandy plants, to hopefully produce seeds, to do a real run for pheno selection and later stabilization

Well I think the best way, is to start with flowering the female type for 3 to 5 weeks.
Then start flowering the male type. This way it will allow the female to grow more pistils
and this will result in more seeds. Compared to if you flowered them at the same time.

rykus

Do what you want, you will anyhow, lol.

12/12 is fine, most strains dictate by root size and health, so just get them in a nice high draining high feeding mix with enough roots for the light and space and hope they're good seeds.

Most finicky slow growing cultivars are wide leaf varieties I find seem to like higher drainage mediums and careful watering.they like being either up potted frequently and kept tight together under strong light, or watered very carefully in high draining large pots with the light higher above to get the same stretch the tightly packed scenario provides.

The plus's and minus's of both are the pots getting root bound and flowering too small, or the large pots getting water logged and the plants finishing small...

Thin leaf equatorial varieties do better as they evolved starting under 12/12 naturally so you can use this if you choose which might be an advantage in say flip rooms with no veg space.
Good luck.

Fuel

The problem of maturity will mainly be the timing between twos differents strains. If the males of the strain A are ready fast before that the females of the strain B have finished to stretch (for example), you can have a ridiculous harvest of seeds and a large part of immature seeds wich are not very fun to use later. It's the thing wich make me the more crazy about commercial seeds, when i get expensive immature seeds.

In this configuration, when i dont' need to clone the specimens, i generally give a fews additionnal weeks (up to three) to the strain planned to give the females then i launch the strain planned to give the males. That, when the strains are close genetivally. You just have to extrapolate this security to all type of cases depending to the respective flowering times.

good luck with your beans !

Dankageddon

It is my understanding that if you do breed your seeds, the resulting seeds will in fact "generally" have a relatively small yield. If you have the resources and dont care about yield like you said i would say to go for it. Either way I'm sure with enough variability and seed production you'll find at least one thats worth keeping

Halakon

the whole idea is that i dont have room in either veg or flower rooms, and i dont wanna do a large scale seed run, i just wanna do it off to the side, so i dont gotta waste a whole grow cycle for seeds, but i really wanna cross this Orange Kush with this Cheese Candy, so i thought since i found a Male Orange kush i have Hibernating in veg, i could take my clone cutting, and seed out some small plants for some first series cross, then do pheno selections in the big rooms after

G

Sounds like a fine plan to me, I'm looking to do pretty much the same thing next run.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can collect pollen from your stud then selectively pollenate a few flowers.

Plenty of ideas in the breeding section of the*forum from isolation chambers to bags n brushes for growing a sensi crop & seeds on the same plants.

I made bags from parchment paper and got hundreds of seeds from a single branch on 3 different flowering plants.

HTH

MicroRoy

You can collect pollen from your stud then selectively pollenate a few flowers.

Plenty of ideas in the breeding section of the*forum from isolation chambers to bags n brushes for growing a sensi crop & seeds on the same plants.

I made bags from parchment paper and got hundreds of seeds from a single branch on 3 different flowering plants.

HTH
Saving pollen from your first runs sounds like a good idea.

If you won't be growing a lot you won't need a lot of seeds.

Bongstar420

It will work for sea of green. If you want to grow a different style, you need to breed in that style.

OK..you can do this for different styles, but it takes a very trained eye and also still growing some bushes as well. Its about knowing the juvenile form of the finished pheno.

Is it possible for me to take some of my Giant seed collection from over the years, and do a speed Breeding pheno run off 12/12 seeds

talking small and fast! does maturity of plants effect genetics, id assume genetics are pretty much locked in seed from seed, but i want to experiment and run 12/12 under cfl solo cups in a closet away from all my grow tents and starting try to cross Orange Kush with my Candy Cheese, seeds that i have a Surplus of and then once crossed and seeded, run a Pheno hunt from there on and possible stabilizing taking clones when needed, or reveging

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

Not really a great way of assessing your girls ,
however it will do what you want for sure ,
make seeds for you to look at further ...

Latest posts

Latest posts