What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you think of my soil mix? Input appreciated.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
this is for 1 cubic yard/200 gallons of soil.

12x bags Kellog's Patio Plus Organic Soil 1.5cf 70% of mix.
8 cu ft Roots Organic Perlite 30% of mix.

Kellog's Patio Plus ingredients:
Aged recycled forest products, aged rice hulls, composted poultry manure, perlite, peat moss, hydrolyzed feather meal, dehydrated poultry manure, dolomite & oyster shell limes (as pH adjusters), bat guano, kelp meal, worm castings.

12 cups dolomite lime (1tbsp per gal soil)
6 cups gypsum (estimated, should i use more/less?)
5 cups/2.5lb Down To Earth Neem Seed Meal (half feed rate)
10 cups alfalfa pellets from the feed store
8 cups Garden Safe Diatomaceous Earth (estimated guess)
3 cup/1lb Down To Earth Kelp Meal (low feed rate)
2 cups/1lb Down To Earth Granular Humic Acid (low feed rate)
1.5 cup/1lb Down To Earth Azomite Powder (high feed rate)
30 teaspoon Roots Organic Uprising Bloom (1/2 strength feed rate like when using with Uprising Foundation)
Couple Drizzles Espoma liquid grow 2-2-2 (125,000,000 colony forming units!)
4 cups Evolved Habitats 82 brix Feed molasses watered in

Last edited:

xet

Just add water :abduct:

Are you looking for more things to consider?

Sea 90 or Pink Salt
Yeast

Boogie Brew open sources their recipe, http://www.boogiebrew.net/open-source-compost-tea/

It is good to buy extra meals to produce tea for feed/foliar throughout the cycle unless you are going super-soil and adding water only

Most algae sources are a "complete food." It is easy to go nuts on various algae online from different oceans (red, brown, blue-green, green)

If you live near a beach go collect free seaweed on the shore and compost that into a soil and that is all you will ever need.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
i just mix soil outside on a big tarp usually, half of this soil is recycled from my 100 gallon plant i grew last year.

Are you looking for more things to consider?

Sea 90 or Pink Salt
Yeast

Pink salt is an awesome idea for trace minerals, thanks. ive been trying to avoid ocean based feeds.
(too bad no one raises indoor Ascophyllum nodosum kelp right?)

Its funny you mentioned yeast, it was the first time i had seen it mentioned for gardening.
Shortly after when i posted the picture of the soil on the tarp i remembered there was some green algae growing in it. So i looked up to see if it was harmful and came across an article on bio fertilizers like yeast and algae and the benefits.

picture.php

Last edited:

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Looks like you know what your doing ;O

I would say for the next recipe break it down to a per cubic foot basis as most mix recipes are posted as per cubic foot amendments. Would make it easier for people to interpret the amounts and ratios. As well it makes it easier to make adjustments and scale up or down by multiplying as needed. Sorry for my OCD ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts