What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do Bottled Nutes really kill the microherd ?

Andyo

Veteran
side by side out doors

side by side out doors

I tried my chem nutes out doors 2 metres from organic both in the ground ,the chems at 1.0 ec
I cant prove they didnt kill the micro herd but i can say the added chems gave the best SSH ever i stopped feeding 4 weeks into flower .
I observed rain effect too .
They still showed anthcyanin pigments in leaves on maturity= extreme maturity as i take them a month longer into maturity than most would so the narcotic sativa effect is pronounced in the smoking.
so i dont think it over concentrated chem nutes in the soil.
Ive also just foliar fed with chem nutes on plants with just organic soil due to heavy tropical rain.
Most likley the foliar would be the ideal outdoors tropical due to rain leaching.A

Andyo

Veteran
Iron chelate

Iron chelate

I tried my chem nutes out doors 2 metres from organic both in the ground ,the chems at 1.0 ec
I cant prove they didnt kill the micro herd but i can say the added chems gave the best SSH ever i stopped feeding 4 weeks into flower .
I observed rain effect too .
They still showed anthcyanin pigments in leaves on maturity= extreme maturity as i take them a month longer into maturity than most would so the narcotic sativa effect is pronounced in the smoking.
so i dont think it over concentrated chem nutes in the soil.
Ive also just foliar fed with chem nutes on plants with just organic soil due to heavy tropical rain.
Most likley the foliar would be the ideal outdoors tropical due to rain leaching.A

I did change Iron EDTA to 50% DPTA due to ph availbility.
The rest of the trace elements were not chelated .
Though others that used my nute formula didnt and no deficiencys showed.A

The Joker1

Not sure what that was intended for, if me, take a look at one of my recent comments as to why this is my current situation and I why I raise the question.

As for the science of this, I feel many people just like to believe what makes sense to them, others are acting as scientists and reading and researching, but we aren't scientists in labs so all these are more or less still speculation and interpretations. There is a good youtube channel of a guy who has a myth busting series on organic growing, and all around great organic gardener channel, and he's local. Every episode hits it home. He's got a university background and actually creates a hypothesis, carries out the experiment, and does soil tests before and after.

The community always warns about chorine and chloramine killing microbes. He tests that theory out very accurately and unbiased and turns out its not really true at all. I have similar assumptions about bottled nutrients. Once again Im just switching over from synthetic to organic living soil guys.

Having said all that. We aren't academics or lab scientists, but one thing we can do to learn is just side by sides. Which I feel for such a smart & sharing & curious community I don't see a lot of. I will be changing that.

Here is the channel, I learned a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/user/stephenlegaree14

We are in an anti science time when facts and science are seen as the enemies of the beliefs we have. Sadly, for some, the belief in organics are more based on an almost religious dogma of "should be's " and "wish this were true.

The bad part about that is that it doesn't make one a better grower. I'm always doing side by sides to see what's what. I went from a undercurrent dwc grower to coco, to peat, to 100% organic in the most dogmatic way, to using a hybrid method that works for me. On my property, I'm 100 % organic, because it's so much less work. On the inside I'm using a hybrid method because it's so much easier.

I have found that the most accurate information is from online academic studies which are exhaustive side by sides. It's a lot easier to find useful information. Whatever problems a pot grower has, farmers have been dealing with for a longer time and on a larger scale.

You can have a micro herd and use bottled notes. You can spray compost tea on your leaves even when using bottled notes. You can do 1/4 strength notes and have healthy plants. You can make your own micro herd or you can just buy it with OG Tea, Sea Green or C a ps bennies, or many of the ready made products depending on your free time and social life and what's important to you.

You can stimulate your plants immune system with Regalia or childrens aspirin a lot easier than the high maintenance of aging soil, testing soil, adding supplements, storing massive amounts of soil. I don't have much free time so that got old fast and it was backbreaking and took up a lot of space. Brewing teas, sterilizing everything after etc. OG Tea, Regalia, Sea Green FTW, Diatomic Hummus, FTW. Mix and Stir.

Furthermore, the differences in quality are negligible outside of the imagination. I've gotten together with fellow growers and it was impossible to tell the organic from the bottled. What really makes a difference is a good cure and the health of the plant. You can do an organic grow and a crappy cure and it will taste terrible.

Use your bottled nutes and bennies and see for yourself what happens.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Organic soluble nutrients do not kill "the herd". If you have an ecological system that is built upon exchange between the soil microorganisms and the plant and then you feed with solubles it doesn't directly kill them. You render them obsolete, you select against them. They might die, or go dormant, or just function in a reduced capacity. If you are running a no till this might be counterproductive to your goals of ecological stability, but imo soil is pretty dynamic and can tolerate a little bit of abuse...

Easy7

Veteran
Do not really need a microherd with synthetics. The whole point of micro organisms is their metabolites. Breaking down nutrients so plants can uptake. Synthetic is already ready.

Save the synthetics for hydro.