What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the oldest weed in yer stash?

bigAl25

Veteran
2 2014 strawberry kush buds 2 to 3 grams each. Gave away the last SSSDH by strawberry cough bud 2 grams last week.

sutra1

Sorry for late return, very busy with work. The 1996 weed was the last I've purchased. Don't remember what strain it was, kinda sativa as I recall. It's been kept frozen and looks better that all the rest. In terms of preservation deep freezing is the way to go. I've been through two freezers since 1996. The 2008 has turned a kinda brown and lost it's aroma.

I grow outdoors and always seem to grow far beyond my consumption. I always tell my wife that it is vital in case one of us contract some awful disease. I give away as much as I can, but in my work/social world don't know many people who still smoke. Just wondered if anyone was in a similar situation.

b8man

Veteran
@Sutra - Why not make the excess into some nice hash/oil?

I had some Powerplant that was kept in jars unopened for about 3 years. The trichs had turned orange and the smoke was so insanely strong that the first time I had some I started shaking and sweating and basically having a full out panic attack. I thought the long cure would have made it more mellow, but it just made it nightmare paranoia fuel.

Boveda humidity packs help with the long term storage. But after 6 months it doesn't seem to improve so should probably be frozen to maintain the terps.

St. Phatty

ah man, compost? dam.
Couldnt you give it away?
lot's of people in need.

Depends a little on the state.

In Calif. I could donate old buds or buds I didn't have time to manicure, to a dispensary ... they gave it to patients on a limited income.

In Oregon, NO WAY ... it's all tracked. The codes don't allow for 'decent old bud', so it's sort of "outlaw decent old bud" ... so unless your girlfriend runs the dispensary, old bud gets composted or fed to the chickens.

In Wash state ... is it all tracked too ?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought these jars from Cliff at vitality glass ( vitalitygoods.com ) ( I have no affiliation in any way, just bought a bunch of jars to set up my weed cabinet) ( Like a wine cellar )

They work great

Pure-Purple-Kush-4-9-12.gif

EastFortRock

6 years old , a few buds stored in a jar in a cool place. It has turned golden brown and smells wonderful in the air while burning . I just like the way it smells with no green in it. It has lost potency. It may only be half as strong or weaker.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess it is the Panama Red I grew 5 years ago. I had a toke of it the other day and got a dull kind of buzz. I was laying down and dozing off pretty soon.

When it was fresh I would get quite a bit of energy from it. Cbn does increase after a while or in this case. I had it in a cupboard and lately in the fridge in a glass jar. I am gonna freeze the next jar that I want to keep long term.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I have samples dating back to my first modern grow in early 2013. They're still curing in a cool dark place in sealed jars w/ 62% bovedas. Not everything, just the more memorable varieties. Aroma seems to diminish past a year but comes right back when the stuff is crushed. Potency & effect seem about the same. The older material is more friable, more tender & easier to crush. Out past a year changes in flavor & smoke-ability basically cease. Within the first year, particularly the first 6 months flavor deepens & the smoke gets smoother, at least with the old school varieties I've grown.

It's interesting to take a toke of this & a toke of that to compare the flavors. It's also nice to be able to change up & to verify perceptions of new & old batches.

justabluez

Veteran
Today I opened a jar that has been vacuum sealed since jan 2014. Its Barney's Acapulco Gold. when I first harvested it, I remember it being too potent. Now 4 years later, it is very mellow. The smell has mellowed out, and its a good burning smoke in the vaporizer. I also have been vaping 3 year old Pineapple Express. All the bud was washed using Doc Bud Bud washing technique, and I must admit I am surprised at how well the smoke still is....

The 4 year old Acapulco Gold is the oldest I have vaped so far. I also have some 5 year old bag seed weed. Maybe I will try that one next...

So far, I'm enjoying the old weed. Its not as potent, but its much more smooth, and you get much more vapor/smoke from the way it burns!!

Green Squall

Jar of 14 month old drunken parrot, stored in a kitchen cabinet. Tastes great, except out of a vaporizer. Anyone ever encounter a strain where the vape flavor was unpleasant after a long cure? Initially, it had a very nice lime essence.

WelderDan

Veteran
Stash? Well, I guess if I ever found that joint I lost in 2006, I'd say 12 years. But I never found it so I guess I'm sayin there is no stash

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
When my uncle died in 1993 I went to his mine with my cousin to organize personal items.
In a cabinet was a jar of seedy old bud and rolling papers imprinted with a miniature draft notice and a bloody fingerprint.
This was protest pot from the 1960's, stashed and forgotten.

A bit dry, it still rolled an acceptable joint, the two of us smoked one up and rolled a second. Not sure if was age or if the pot in those days was really that bad, but two joints and we were stoned just a wee bit.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I have several jars that are two and a half years old. It is in vacuum sealed mason jars. The flavor has faded a bit, but is still there. It is t least as strong as when it was jarred. A couple of the jars lost the vacuum and you can tell difference. We still enjoy it regularly.

Latest posts

Latest posts