Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Are there any downsides to fast strains?

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
Are there any downsides to fast strains? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 AM #1
King Bloom

King Bloom is on a distinguished road
Are there any downsides to fast strains?

Are there any cons to growing the newer FAST strains that are not autos but flower shorter, like 6-7 weeks? Is the bud just as potent and aromatic?

Would there ever be an advantage to growing say plain Amnesia instead of Amnesia FAST from Seedsman, etc.?
King Bloom is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 AM #2
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
If they breed for speed, they're not breeding for potency. Having said that, I've yet to smoke anything that wasn't good in a joint. But I'm a lightweight so...

The only time I go for potency is when I grow with the intention to wheel it.

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

~

Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is online now Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 AM #3
Lrus007

Lrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of lightLrus007 is a glorious beacon of light
i have found the fast budding plants are
slow to grow. so do not make a crop faster.
Lrus007
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof
Lrus007 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:50 AM #4
thejact55

thejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nice
I have a hard time buying into a 6-7 week strain, at least when seeds are the source. Id bet half of them go 8 weeks or up...eventually i would think youd have to run and take clones from those who are faster. No comment on quality, i cant say.
I figure another week or two or three of waiting isnt really that long, and the doors it opens for different types is vast. (Unless your trying to pound out production, i understand)
Hype and half truths are what i gather from 6-7 week strain, in my probably very biased opinion lol.
If you do run them, keep us posted. Doesnt mean im not interested. and Im ok with being wrong, if i am indeed wrong.

Durban Poison Seedbay Tester thread 2018: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....51#post8219651

Growing for a seed stash, more than a bud stash.

Help the DEA fight cartels and crime, grow your own weed!
thejact55 is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 AM #5
Sign

Sign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the roughSign is a jewel in the rough
Fast strains are the f1 version of strain x crossed with an auto flower right? Knocks 1-2 weeks off the total time?
Sign is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 05:41 AM #6
Burro Johnson

Burro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the rough
making your own f1 hybrid with an auto is deffinately helpful in shortening flowering times.
doing this yourself allows you to select plants that meet your own personal needs.

the same can be said in making crosses with mold resistant strains to aid in outdoor growability
Burro Johnson is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 06:11 AM #7
WelderDan

WelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant future
Fast flowering strains tend to be Indica, or heavy Indica leaning. Your options are few if you want heady Sativa effects fast. C99 & C99 hybrids is probably the only "fast" strain that has a heavy Sativa effect.

Good things come to those who wait, be they Indica or Sativa

Cherry Bomb x C99

"To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of Bullshit."

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
WelderDan is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 PM #8
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't had a fast flowering variety yet that was worth the effort put in to grow it.
Sweet Tooth #3 was the fastest plant I've grown and was finished in about 49-55 days. It was weak sauce compared to everything else I've ever grown, including Diesel Ryder.

Most, if not all, have very short legs and they typically aren't high up in the potency department.

Most fast seeds are basically false advertising as well. While you might get one plant from a pack that finishes fast most will probably go 8-10 weeks or beyond.

Tyco's post is spot on as well.
MJPassion is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:32 PM #9
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Fast strains are the f1 version of strain x crossed with an auto flower right? Knocks 1-2 weeks off the total time?

NO!

Sometimes this might be the case but in general, NO.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:43 PM #10
MJPassion
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro Johnson View Post
making your own f1 hybrid with an auto is deffinately helpful in shortening flowering times.
doing this yourself allows you to select plants that meet your own personal needs.

the same can be said in making crosses with mold resistant strains to aid in outdoor growability

You didn't shorten flower times, you added a photo-period flowering schedule to your auto making it a photo finisher.