What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Humboldt County All Hype??

bluebublelove

I plan on moving there within the next year. I never finished college and have finally found the motivation to go back. I'm going to enroll at humboldt state in arcata and would like to know, if you can tell me, what it's all about. I understand the town is tiny and there is lots of nice buds around...any downsides to living there?? is there a major cannabis scene there like everyone always says? anyways...I'm basically hoping to find it to be a very inviting, relaxed, down to earth town.

never been there but i hear a downside could be finding a place to live as it seems to be more expensive than the rest of the country however this isn't a problem for everyone i guess. personally i think a place like humboldt is way to blown up. i'd rather find a small mountain town good for pot no ones really heard of.

Last edited:
grapepunched said:
^ asheville is the new humboldt (hint hint)

-gp
Yeah Asheville is blowin' the **** up too. My sister lives in the city and every time I visit her I can't believe how fast Asheville is growing. I walked by an Ourdoor magazine a couple months ago and it was the number 1 city to move too. Everyone wants to move there now. but youre right lots of good pot out there... some of the best in country.
I always said boone was the east coasts humboldt. that city is blowing the **** up too because of the college is growing like a wild fire.
i remember when you could drive around these mountain ranges and everything was backwards windy roads... sometimes dirt. its not like that anymore, everyone wants a piece of the applachian mountains now... only problem is if people keep moving here and builiding unplanned communities there wont be any left!

Last edited:
I dunno about ashville being the new humboldt. All the new development in ashville seems like it's more conservative yuppie/retiree traffic moving away from florida. Ashville definitely has changed a lot in the last year, lots of new subdivisions, gated "communities" and mini-malls.
Yeah they built million dollar condos in downtown asheville. no one around here can afford that kind of shit. people can hardly find jobs yet there building million dollar condos. your right its retired yuppies from florida coming up... im seeing more and more florida plates, and let me tell you about those assholes they can't drive on mountains! they always go up windy roads at like 10 miles an hour.

K

khaleel

bluebublelove said:
I plan on moving there within the next year. I never finished college and have finally found the motivation to go back. I'm going to enroll at humboldt state in arcata and would like to know, if you can tell me, what it's all about. I understand the town is tiny and there is lots of nice buds around...any downsides to living there?? is there a major cannabis scene there like everyone always says? anyways...I'm basically hoping to find it to be a very inviting, relaxed, down to earth town.

i lived in monterey, ca, for three years, and my dealer was hooked up through humboldt. his lifelong girlfriend grew up there and had family in the scene, so he sort of married into it.

anyway the weed he got was always killer. so in my personal experience, humboldt was more than just hype. this one purple pheno skunk (if there's no such thing, idk) was hands down in my top 5 favorite nugs of all time. (and my cannabis resume: i lived in the netherlands for four months, northern california for three years, and i'm a medical patient in both california and colorado. only saying i've smoked some decent herb in my life, that's all. lol)

i'm sure humboldt is a chill little town that has gotten a bit touristy because of the hype... but i bet there are still plenty of good people to associate yourself with, and there will definitely be tasty bowls a plenty. cheers, gl! :wave:

supermanlives

Veteran
it is what you make of it. was just on roadtrip there. i love it personally. but then i love most of n cali. so cal sucks ass

Gumbala

Easiest place for renting will be in Eureka, try Arcata first, as its way nicer, much more young people, great pubs!

Your moving to Northern Humboldt probably.

Lots of upsides, you will be in one of the only places in the world that has Pacific Redwoods ofcourse, lots of rivers, lots of nature, the beach is close, fishing etc..

Yes plenty of herb there no worries there, the hype mainly stays in the hills and only comes out to hang with other hype! But sometimes the hype that gets hyped will make its way to those who hype it up! haha

Lots of fog, cold rainy weather but not compared to peeps in OR, WA ofcourse!

Smoke68

George Hayduke said:
Yeah they built million dollar condos in downtown asheville. no one around here can afford that kind of shit. people can hardly find jobs yet there building million dollar condos. your right its retired yuppies from florida coming up... im seeing more and more florida plates, and let me tell you about those assholes they can't drive on mountains! they always go up windy roads at like 10 miles an hour.
Yup... I know them types.... bastards... and the cars they drive; bigger than a boat, slower than a snail and more reckless than a teenage girl late to prom in her daddies Porsche...

Gumbala

Theres a ton of towns in Humboldt County, Garberville/Redway is basically South Humb, Arcata/Eureka is North Humb,

i'm sure humboldt is a chill little town that has gotten a bit touristy because of the hype... but i bet there are still plenty of good people to associate yourself with, and there will definitely be tasty bowls a plenty. cheers, gl! :wave:[/QUOTE]

Kaos!

Eureka has the most agressive panhandler/street People (read: crazy tweakers) I've ever seen.

Kaos!

bluebublelove

grapepunched said:
^ asheville is the new humboldt (hint hint)

-gp

lol. I am in Asheville. I can't find a decent job or place to rent in this area. I've been living up on this incredible mountain for that past half a year but have to move out by jan. 1st. Yeah, this town is great when it comes to quality and variety of genetics, but, I've had a hard time meeting "like minded" individuals. most folks I've met seem awfully fake or caught up in themselves....needless to say, many folks in this area have perpetuated my theory that hippies (at least the ones who call themselves that) can be the most condescending people on the planet.

George Hayduke said:

hey now. I have a florida plate on my car. but I'm damned sure not a yuppie and far from retired. although, I have noticed this phenomena you speak of. I've picked up some partime work in a (really fancy) kitchen and have noticed many of the customers are over 35, rich, and really happy....almost too happy..

who on here is living in or around Asheville? any places worth checking out around here? :wave:

Last edited:

Gumbala

Try Tangier Morocco!!! haha

Actually Santa Cruz and Berk prob beat out Eureka! haha

Kaos! said:
Eureka has the most agressive panhandler/street People (read: crazy tweakers) I've ever seen.

Kaos!

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Do not live in Arcata, just go for the sights. Mainly the plaza.

I do not know if the Eureka panhandlers (tweakers) are any more potent then the Arcata cut tweakers but the Arcata tweakers are more visable and have greater vigor.

There is no work except maybe food/fish/forest industries.

As to Humboldt State.....well, its my understanding that they have one of the best horticulture programs around...go figure??

They have very interesting festivals and pagents(sp) in Arcata.

The bud is good and available in the plaza anyday of the week. Watch out for lame buds passed as prime and it is always over-priced but look around and you can score phat for few duckets.

I presume the housing near the University will be expensive.

I would not move there but my sweet wife and I love to go. We have a B&B we like in Trinidad that overlooks the coast.

Oh, lastly, all things in California are extraordinarily expensive.

Good luck,

minds_I

teddybud said:
yea... but all the hippie bums and trannys have ****ed it up... hence why we left.
hippie bums have been in asheville since forever or as long as i can remember. they didn't ruin the city. yuppies are ruining the city with their bloody ****ing genterfication and gated communities being built on some of the oldest mountains in the world. yuppies are why police are so bad there now.

Last edited:
hey now. I have a florida plate on my car. but I'm damned sure not a yuppie and far from retired. although, I have noticed this phenomena you speak of. I've picked up some partime work in a (really fancy) kitchen and have noticed many of the customers are over 35, rich, and really happy....almost too happy..
nothing is a better example of the geterfication going on in asheville than the million dollar condos in downtown asheville that no one can afford. you said it best there is no ****ing work in that city. most of the people from applachia have never had alot of money, and then they plant something like that in the middle of downtown. its absurd. near my sisters house they just tore down a bunch of old houses to build more expensive condos. in the process they kicked a bunch of poor people out of their houses.

and there are plenty of people in the are that are like minded. true- lots of sketch hippies... but you can avoid them try hangin around warren wilson though. some decent hippies around that college who know their ****in weed. otherwise- there are tons of other people who smoke in asheville so it shouldnt be hard finding a like minded people. and since you are from florida, can you please tell your other flordians to learn how to drive on the mountain. im tired of getting passed by bicyclist going up the mountain while i drive behind people from flroida going 2 mph.

Last edited: