What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chocolate Thai Revival

idiit

Veteran
have any root tails emerged?

i've run lots of older beans where the embryo unfolded but no actual root tail manifested.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As soon as the seed cracks and indicates a root coming out they are put into soil.
Lots of virus, rotting seed and don't take the chance just to have long root tails to show.
Many are dried out, cracked from compression and rotten.
Very lucky to get enough to reproduce from. Nothing else has germed or come up yet.

idiit

Veteran
i've had this happen on several batches of old seeds.

luckily you gots lots. :)

i've had some embryos unfurl enough that the root tip could be inserted into the ground and the green above ground part lie on top exposed to the soft seedling suitable lumens. i removed the dried out yellow embryonic sheath around the coteloyns by hand (tweasers) very gently in some cases. some did make it. they were generally slow in veg. growth but once established performed just fine.

this forum has some very experienced growers who can aid in germination technique far better than me. you might not need any help by the looks of your albums. great growing skills.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Matter of preference and many techniques can be used like cracking, scuffing and fungicide.
If the seed is not able to push out on it's own, I don't want it.
Only the strong survive and it is amazing how strong the ones germing really are.
I found that these old seeds are eager to germ fast, but grow out slowly.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Crumbling walls and the will to survive.

Crumbling walls and the will to survive.

Hello everyone.

Took more out and they germ in a day, but nothing up from the others yet.

The walls have crumbled and the strong offer hope.

Keep thinking Chocolate Thai Revival, to get the best survival. :ying:

Attachments

• 10-1.jpg
    10-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 10-2.jpg
    10-2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 20
  • 10-3.jpg
    10-3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 10-4.jpg
    10-4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 10-5.jpg
    10-5.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 10-6.jpg
    10-6.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 19

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dark Chocolate

Dark Chocolate

All the good vibes you be sending this way, be bringing us much chocolate this day.

Attachments

• 11-5.jpg
    11-5.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 11-4.jpg
    11-4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 11-3.jpg
    11-3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 11-2.jpg
    11-2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 11-1.jpg
    11-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 12-5.jpg
    12-5.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 12-4.jpg
    12-4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 12-3.jpg
    12-3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 12-2.jpg
    12-2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 12-1.jpg
    12-1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 22

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seeds germed in 2 days. Nothing up from others yet.
Put them in soil when they first cracked and may take longer than fresh seed.

Attachments

• 13-2.jpg
    13-2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 13-3.jpg
    13-3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 13-4.jpg
    13-4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 14-1.jpg
    14-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 14-6.jpg
    14-6.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 14-5.jpg
    14-5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 14-4.jpg
    14-4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 14-3.jpg
    14-3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 14-2.jpg
    14-2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 13-1.jpg
    13-1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 20

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Good luck with those... now it's the critical moment. It seems this time is crucial for older seeds, either they have the force to survive and become a seedling or not. If they take too long the tiny root may become either rotten or dry as well (depending on humidity). It's something we need to fight with when trying to preserve heirloom strains. It seems not always they have enough energy to survive.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Vibes.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck with those... now it's the critical moment. It seems this time is crucial for older seeds, either they have the force to survive and become a seedling or not. If they take too long the tiny root may become either rotten or dry as well (depending on humidity). It's something we need to fight with when trying to preserve heirloom strains. It seems not always they have enough energy to survive.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Vibes.

Hello everyone.

Yes that is how it feels. They appear to germ and look healthy, but don't grow past the shell.
Not sure if they are dried out and adding water just makes them expand or a virus gets them.
Very small amount are germing at all. I just cover them with soil and wait, maybe some come up.
Would really like to preserve them and hope for some seedlings. All I can do is keep trying.

What is good to use on old seeds to kill the germs?

e.T

i'll say it again....
ga3 will help these old beans sprout. the only side effect can be excessive elongation of the seedling with concentrations higher then 250ppm. all natural too...
sounds like your seeds just don't have the umph to get them moving. you could also try a tiny bit of sugar water for added energy...
mojo for the project

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did some reading on that years ago and have never needed it.
Will look around and see what is available in my area.
If not I may order some and see how it goes.
Not working what I am doing right now anyways.

DJXX

Veteran
hey Z..i had a bunch of old beans and they just wouldn't budge...so after 2 days soaking i would take each one and put it in my mouth and very gently use your teeth as a vise and crack the seed seam...or any way you can ...if you have ever eaten sunflower seeds in the shell you can understand what i mean....gently crack a couple with your teeth, after doin this i got like 30% to shoot a tail and some to grow on out..good luck DJXX

idiit

Veteran
bigherb also has recommended this "teeth cracking" tech. fwiw.

sounds kinda crazy but ppl say it works.

C

Cannabisso

Thanks for the helpful tips but I think Zanddar's seeds are past that stage already. The shell is cracked open, the root is already showing. Now all we can do is wait and hope that they will emerge from the soil.

Last edited:

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have cracked some with tweezers when they got soft, but they did not grow out more.
The problem is after they crack, they do not grow much more.
It feels like they don't have the energy to proceed further.
The sugar water and adding carbs maybe a good idea to try too.
Don't even use sugar and have to run out and get that too.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Second cup of camomile tea is common enough as a seed soak, though I believe it's only fungicidal.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
If they are cracked already transplanting into some soil innoculated w trichoderma could give them the tickle they need to start rooting...

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I have cracked some with tweezers when they got soft, but they did not grow out more.
Using your teeth is actually better because your mouth has better fine motor skills than your hands and that's why ;) . Sure, it's not very clean... :D

GA3 might probably not help too much as it's main effect is at an earlier stage but it can mess with sex determination leading to more 'phenotypical maleness'; if you try it, use only very little! The lil ones are at an early seedling stage where auxins and cytokinins should help better but you'd need to find the right concentrations and proportions first... which means sacrificing many precious seeds as it won't work with a different variety.
I played around a bit with several dozens 'unwilling' seeds but haven't found anything helpful when the seeds got stuck where yours are.
0.1-1% sugar (mainly sucrose and glucose) has a positive effect on Arabidopsis thaliana at the development stage your seeds are and work there (and in theory). So I tried sugar but only got mould...
Vitamins maybe had some positive effect but it wasn't a very reliable test with those and I can't be sure.
Oh, and light was bad, very bad! Complete darkness was better but not perfect either: The logical conclusion would be far red light is required (that's also what the seeds get when a few cm deep in soil). This is known to be true and very helpful for certain plants but I couldn't test it myself. If you have a >600 nm LED or alike, try it, it shouldn't hurt if it doesn't work (unlike with hormones where you're more likely to mess things up).

A 'nutrition broth' or in vitro culture medium like half-strength M&S should work to keep them at least alive but needs to be kept sterile or replaced once or twice a day.