What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

heat killed my roots....

phyberoptic

second day of over 100 degree heat. Grow shed is insulated but still in high 90s much of the days.... bad news is res water got up to above 90 and my root on the vegging plants are big time rotted and dying.

So I cut new clones and started them up again while I see how this group recovers.

Got to get a chiller....
:-(

thinking about digging a deep hole and burying some coils of three inch conduit to cool an air intake in the earth? think that might work?

There is a thread somewhere around here that goes really in depth about your exact idea. I'll try to dig it up...

Also, burying coils of tubing for your rez might be better? I'm pretty sure the ladies would rather have cool roots than cool tops.

Xtensity

Why are you letting your temperatures get so high? Photosynthesis becomes very slow at 90 degrees or so and at about 95 degrees it completely stops so the plant go put all the energy towards cooling itself...

Don't just look at cooling the res....look at finding a way to cool the entire room.

ibjamming

Veteran
Put them in soil and they'll live...it's happened to me.

Like you, I had no choice and HAD to deal with the heat. I was running DWC, the temps went up...root rot came. Nasty BLACK roots. I pulled them and threw them in some soil and they finished just fine.

I've found that ONLY a soil grow survives the heat of summer.

good luck!

throw some frozen sodas in your rez as a cheap and quick fix for temps. I not sure what your set up looks like so i can only make assumptions but i would better ventilate my lights and may be put in an ac window unit.

highonmt

Veteran
Hempy buckets handle the heat very well.

:yeahthats

Yep that's why my summer "hot" house is all hempy, the girls do great even with days in the high 80 and 90's and no ac bills or messy dirt. I did water every day when temps were high. Cheers
HM

joedub

:yeahthats

Yep that's why my summer "hot" house is all hempy, the girls do great even with days in the high 80 and 90's and no ac bills or messy dirt. I did water every day when temps were high. Cheers
HM
Interesting, did the herb come out good w/ those temps? no heat stress? I was just wondering because it seems like your implying that hempy can grow good herb in hot weather w/o ac? do you think that a aero or dwc w/ good rez temps would work good in hot weather w/o ac also? correct me if I'm wrong but aero/dwc is constant feed system just like hempy? I've never done hempy before. I've only had flood n drain experience w/ bad weather, and it didn't work out that good imo