What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hurricane coming hurricanes

A

argoagro

Already had a big plant partially snap in a mild windstorm the other day, it was pretty exposed, I am very worried about her sister though, my best plant, she is a monster w/2"+ stem. Is there anything we can do? Stake it down from multiple angles worth the effort?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
maybe cover her with a net and stack the net down, that should allow the branches enough play so they don't brake in the high winds, although it's nearly impossible to save a plant in the direct path of a hurricane i imagine.

Xtensity

Put a sturdy pole/stick in the ground next to the base of the plant, careful not to break and roots... then tie the pole to the plants stalk along several places.. This will help prevent it from breaking during strong winds... though if a tree falls on it, not much you can do then.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Stake it man! We have ferocious thunderstorms here and the occassional hurricane remnant.

Around here, they have to be staked from 2' tall onward. When theyre small, a deer will step on them and break them if theyre not staked, but by the time the plant is head high, if its not staked, then sooner or later, its on the ground dead.

feenom

D.S. is right on the man knows his guerrilla grows! i'd get some bamboo and make a tepee with about 5 stakes so it restricts the plant's motion and then you can tie up the main branches to it if you want.

A

argoagro

Thanks, I dropped off 2 contractor stakes last night and will come in the backway tonight to stake her off. I also got to inspect the previous wind damage a little more.

The two smaller (Still 1/2-1lb'ers!) got hit pretty hard, but I don't care about those as much, there branches break very easy and they are late as well. The big girl actually did have one of her big branches break though! It broke away from the trunk, which seems thats the only way they can break. I plan to wrap those branches so they can't get pulled away from the trunk & snap, and I will also drive those two large stakes in and tie her off tonight.

We are going to have gusts up to 70mph, but I know the weathermen predict the worst in these situations for disaster reasons, so I am hoping for the best. The wind & damage to the smaller two actually helped, they needed some training, but maybe not quite to that extent (I lost 2 branches, probably a qp's worth).

My smaller plants at other sites & my other monster, 2nd best plant, that I have only visited twice after planting & have done nothing to, are going to be left on there own & the next day I'll be checking on them & making any needed repairs.

You guys think it's ok to use guerrilla tape to wrap around some of these branches & stems or will the glue have a bad effect? I mean shit, it is called guerrilla tape, lol.

Thanks for the tip on bamboo!!! I have a bunch near the monster spot and will probably snag some and try to reinforce the smaller two plants also.

FYI, This SUCKS, months and months of hard work about to go down the drain. Screw the raindance, we all need a 'blow earl out to sea' dance.

K

KSP

You guys think it's ok to use guerrilla tape to wrap around some of these branches & stems or will the glue have a bad effect? I mean shit, it is called guerrilla tape, lol.

The gorilla tape is good stuff. I used it last year on a couple of big plants with limbs broken/peeled away from the trunk. I also used hose clamps to pull the broken base of the limb back tight to the trunk. I then wrapped the hose clamps with the gorilla tape.

Good luck man, I hope you come through with no problems.

C

CANNATOPIA

Is there anything in the area to use as a Natural wind barrier? branches,Hanging limbs to pile up arround her making the surroundings basically act as a sort of shield? I am assuming its in the woods or something similar. Best of luck friend.

igrowone

Veteran
bad situation, i don't do outdoors anymore, but had many disasters hit in years gone by
some kind of wind wall might help, this is just off the cuff thinking
not directly attached to plant, maybe a few feet away in the likely wind direction

feenom

natural wind barrier is a great idea.....

the gorilla tape is perfect for mending broken branches...grab something nearby ( or cut a piece of the bamboo ) and make a splint then tape it up....

A

argoagro

man this is bad news, getting worse predictions :(

They are not in the woods at all, they are smack dab in the middle of a clearing about a mile every direction, it is the best spot known to man......... except for the wind factor :laughing:

I have also decide I am going to defoliate every single fan leaf on them, no need for more wet kites than necessary.

I'm actually really worried about security as well, the next day is going to be beautiful and everybody will be home and out in there yards, and any other guerrilla's will be out as well. It's not a huge problem but night/dusk only is one of my security protocols at this site. I also like to keep visits to a minimum, once or twice a week, but this will be night #3 and Saturday as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts