What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help pleaes Do you know When to flower under a scrog???

Im in a 4x4x6.5tent my scrog is about 8 in over my plants and all most filled the scrog all the way up.Should I flip to 12 12 after scrog is 100% full or let them grow up a little past the scrog then flip to 12 12... I was not going to fill the hole tent corner because I think I will run out of time to veg in my 5 gal pots and get root bound before flower was over if I tried to fill scrog then vegg longer to let tops grow past scrog.... I'm wanting the most out of this grow and I think if I fill scrog then flip I would be loosing out but if let tops grow past scrog then flip I would get moor... I was also thinking I could keep filling scrog after flipping to 12 12 and fill the hole 4x4 scrog but I would have shorter tops meaning shorter buds... What do y'all think..( 1).let tops grow past scrog some after filling scrog(2) flip soon as scrog is filled... Or (3)flip to 12/12 in 2 moor weeks and keep filling screen till 100% filled while in flower

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
if youre running autos, I'm no help.
but photo period plants need to be flipped to 12/12 before bloom will initiate but that will be 2-3 weeks (strain dependent) later. There is a 2-3 week period it's called the stretch... it is the transition of the plant from veg to bloom... plants will (strain dependent) grow in a spurt for this time.. if your screen is full, flip now. you haven't given much more info than needed but the stretch is when you'll have to make decisions. too late to trim them.. 12/12 asap. knowing the strain your growing helps with the answers you want.

if youre running autos, I'm no help.
but photo period plants need to be flipped to 12/12 before bloom will initiate but that will be 2-3 weeks (strain dependent) later. There is a 2-3 week period it's called the stretch... it is the transition of the plant from veg to bloom... plants will (strain dependent) grow in a spurt for this time.. if your screen is full, flip now. you haven't given much more info than needed but the stretch is when you'll have to make decisions. too late to trim them.. 12/12 asap. knowing the strain your growing helps with the answers you want.
barnys farm
Not sure what kind lol and a super 6 seed I got for free screen is not filled not growing auto flowers been vegging a while going on week 7 here soon but they 2 weeks behind growing healthy now tho.... Im flipping week 9 from seed no mater what so my question should be.. Should I still scrog after 12 12 or grow them out after the flip... I think I have plenty of room to just let them grow up after 1212
But don't want loose out scroging to long just kuz I can.. Also if I was growing auto flowers there would be no 1212 or flipping I grow them 20\4 until flowers form then 15\9 to save on power...

Hooter

The net allows you to keep a flat canopy during your grow and promotes more buds. This helps keeping the plant from getting to close to the lights. You can flip to 12 any time you like. The plant will double in height during the stretch. If you have a tall tent consider manifolding them to 8 colas. Learn how to prune them so light can get to each bud. That's stripping all folate below top few nodes. Towards end of flower drop humidity and temp at night to stress plant causing more resin production.

IMA fill the screen best I can then flip...would it be best to let tops grow past screen some before flipping to 1212 after screen is filled??

Hooter

Would not be a problem. I've seen two nets used one on top of the other in small tents. Hear is a pic of mine just before 12.

Last edited:

Hooter

Should not be a problem. More buds the better the yield providing they all get good light. Here's one during flower with about 20 tops.

Junk

Im in a 4x4x6.5tent my scrog is about 8 in over my plants and all most filled the scrog all the way up.Should I flip to 12 12 after scrog is 100% full or let them grow up a little past the scrog then flip to 12 12... I was not going to fill the hole tent corner because I think I will run out of time to veg in my 5 gal pots and get root bound before flower was over if I tried to fill scrog then vegg longer to let tops grow past scrog.... I'm wanting the most out of this grow and I think if I fill scrog then flip I would be loosing out but if let tops grow past scrog then flip I would get moor... I was also thinking I could keep filling scrog after flipping to 12 12 and fill the hole 4x4 scrog but I would have shorter tops meaning shorter buds... What do y'all think..( 1).let tops grow past scrog some after filling scrog(2) flip soon as scrog is filled... Or (3)flip to 12/12 in 2 moor weeks and keep filling screen till 100% filled while in flower

Do you have a pic of what it looks like currently? Or can you get one? In this situation, a pic is worth a thousand questions.

What medium are you in? How much light and what type? Did you top the plants? What strains? What height are you containers? Are they from seed or clone? How long have they been vegging? How much distance do yo have between the bottom of the light, and the scrog?

8" above the pot top is a little short, but if you are in 5 gallon buckets, I see why you did it. If you can keep them that short, more power to you. If they are typical 5 gallon buckets, they're about 25", plus 8" puts you at 33"...but we need to know where the bottom of the light will be, what strain, what medium, what light etc.

Once you flip you will only have a few days to continue to play with the plants. As Snook pointed out, once you flip, the plant begins the stretch. All the stalks you have that are reaching the canopy...will grow significantly taller, rapidly. When they do that, they start to become rigid. You can't train them like you did before. You can a little, I've done some pretty brutal tie-downs during the stretch, but the plant isn't like it was before. It's a totally different stage. Once I flip, unless it get's too tall too fast, I leave them. But you will feel if it's pliable or not.

I think I read you saying you would wait for signs of flower, then flip. I would not do that. It sounds like you are in buckets, if it's under 18/6 lighting and it starts to show pre-flowers it often means you are approaching root bound. Some plants just do it on their own, no matter what size pot. I think with most, it's a sign the plant is becoming too big for the pot. So I wouldn't wait for the pre-flowers. The plant is going to double or triple in size, you don't want to wait for signs it's root bound to flip.

Pictures would be helpful. But I let mine come up through the scrog 3-5" before flip. I try to fill the scrog up leaving plenty of space. After the flip, they grow hard and fast, so don't overcrowd them. Once stuff is 2" above the scrog, I take off all the lower growth that isn't, or won't be, reaching the canopy. Any growth sites below the scrog are removed, also any branches that won't end up reaching the canopy are removed. Don't be afraid to take them out, they are just going to turn yellow and wilt w/o the light. And if you leave bud sites below it will just be larf, taking away from your premium product. Take them all out. It's better to do it now than when flower starts. Maybe search the term "lollipop" for pics.

Then I let them recover. How long depends on the strain, but you can usually see when they are gotten their legs back. Once that happens, I flip. For the first week or so, you will continue to train the remaining stuff through the scrog. Maybe these pics will help you see the progression to expect. Pic 1, becomes, pic 2, then pic 3

I don't have a pic of this section just before the flip. Otherwise I would show you exactly when I flipped it. Pic 1 is approx 8 days before the flip. But for learning's sake, I left them way too crowded (note pic 2). That was my first RDWC run with ridiculous amounts of light, plus co2. Any space I gave them, they would almost immediately fill. I should have taken off even more than I had. If your plants are healthy and genetically sound, you will probably notice a similar effect, but about 15% of this intensity. My point is they want to fill the space you give them. You will notice it in soil, but with RDWC, atomic amount of light and Co2, I didn't estimate correctly. But pic 2 is what overcrowding looks like. Also, pic 2 you can still bend some if needed. Pic 3, when they are like that, you can't bend them much anymore. Not sure if I said this yet, but you are looking at an actual progression. That's the same plants, same run. Pic 1 is 1/3/16. Pic 2 is 1/21/16. Pic 3 is 1/25/16. Or at least that's when they were uploaded.

**Edit** When I say fill the scrog, but I also say leave plenty of space what I mean is give each top coming through a little room to breath. Don't pack them too tight, it can cause numerous problems down the road. Newbies think packing them in means more product at the end. It doesn't. There is a balance that needs to be struck. You'll figure it out with a couple tries.

Attachments

• 20160125_113446.jpg
    20160125_113446.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20160103_163105.jpg
    20160103_163105.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20160121_113527.jpg
    20160121_113527.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Hooter

Junk is spot on. I only grow one or two plants at a time for personal use and never have a crowding issue. I can imagine it would be a problem with a lot of plants. I use 5 and 7 gallon smart pots placed next to each other. So on average that's about 1 plant per square foot.