What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone tried using Paint Thinner?

20kw dreams

Just curious. I just made some nice acetone extract. Hard as a rock at room temperature, with a clean pine taste to it. However, acetone definately does not fully extract even the trichomes, while extracting some other stuff from the trim. This is obvious from the dark color from all but the fastest soaks.

Anyways, the reason I meantion, is that Acetone is not even meant as an oil solvent, but mineral spirits is an oil solvent, which leads me to believe it may work better. It is very clean, as clean as acetone or denatured alchohol anyways for those of us who aren't worried about .0001% contaminents and like to do things the easy cheap way.

I'll try it if noone else has, but I know SOMEONE in the world has prob used it, gasoline for that matter.

Late

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
why use stuff that spontaneously combusts and is highly toxic? ethanol works just fine, is non toxic, non-explosive yet still flammable of course, readily available... need i go on?

20kw dreams

you can go on if you want, unfortunately ethanol is expensive, and off topic.

I am aware that there are many, many solvents out there, but I was wondering if anyone had tried Paint thinner.

And yes, it would be very ghetto:smile:

20kw dreams

Mineral Spirits, also called Stoddard Solvent [CAS 8052-41-3][1], is a petroleum distillate commonly used as a paint thinner and mild solvent. In Europe, it is referred to as white spirit. In industry, mineral spirits is used for cleaning and degreasing machine tools and parts. According to Wesco, a supplier of solvents and cleaning equipment, mineral spirits "are especially effective in removing oils, greases, carbon, and other material from metal." Mineral spirits may also be used in conjunction with cutting oil as a thread cutting and reaming lubricant.

Artists use mineral spirits as an alternative to turpentine, one that is both less flammable and less toxic. Because of interactions with pigments, artists require a higher grade of mineral spirits than many industrial users, including the complete absence of residual sulphur. Odorless Mineral Spirits are mineral spirits that have been further refined to remove the more toxic aromatic compounds, and are recommended for applications such as oil painting, where humans have close contact with the solvent. According to Robert Gamblin of Gamblin Artists Colors, the best brands contain 100% aliphatic compounds, and dry without leaving any residue.

A typical composition for mineral spirits is the following: aliphatic solvent hexane having a maximum aromatic hydrocarbon content of 0.1% by volume, a kauri-butanol value of 29, an initial boiling point of 149 °F (65 °C), a dry point of approximately 156 °F (69 °C), and a specific mass of 0.7 g/cc. In the European Community, the composition of mineral spirits comes from Article 11(2) of Directive 2002/96/EC (WEEE).

Doesn't really sound all that bad to me at all. In fact, it is just a less pure form of Hexane, which is the best oil seperating solvent available, used in commercial oil extraction.

Papulz

Veteran
let him poison himself, its gravy you can only warn someone =\ sorry

ampersand

ya serious. lets experiment smoking chemicals we read about and post on icmag...

acetone oil sounds horrible... so does paint thinner, i can understand finding something new and all that works but the science doesnt sound to solid behind it. especially since your going to be the first one smoking this stuff.

you dont mind .0001% contaminate but your lungs might, that .0001 could be pure death inducing compound

If you want cheap, go with a butane extraction. A lot cheaper than iso, but more dangerous though, but if you're willing to go thinner....

S

Shmike

I don't know if it's much cheaper, what I pay for 4 cans of Colibri I pay for 8L of Iso. And I can make twice as much concentrate with 8L alcohol than I can 4 cans of butane. Which makes me wonder, which brand of triple refined butane is the cheapest? I feel like I'm getting robbed paying $8 a can.

G

I've worked with mineral spirits for years and ( of gum terpentine) it is highly toxic.
Smell it see what you think about smoking it.

Read the part of the label that says prolonged exposure can cause nervous system and brain damage.If you think brain damage is cheaper than buying a safer product , go for it. Keep the gene pool clean.

Man I would rather never smoke again ( over rated anyway) than ingest mineral spirit soaked resin.

S

Shmike

Hashmasta-Kut said:
i get colibri for 3 dollars a can.
That's a deal and a half, the only place I can get triple refined butane locally is a headshop, and they charge 7.50 for a 300ml can of Colibri.

20kw dreams

A typical composition for mineral spirits is the following: aliphatic solvent hexane having a maximum aromatic hydrocarbon content of 0.1% by volume, a kauri-butanol value of 29, an initial boiling point of 149 °F (65 °C), a dry point of approximately 156 °F (69 °C)

Hexane and aromatic compounds. Wow, that's rough.

You guys don't need to get all exited over a simple question. You think Butane and Isopropyl Alcohol is good for you or what?

You would most likely end up smoking far less solvent then you would get into your lungs if you were in a room with an open bottle of paint thinner.

Anyways, I was just curious to see if anyone else had tried it. Here's some info though.

Mineral Spirits
The substance is toxic to lungs, the nervous system.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

Butane
INHALATION EFFECTS:
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause dizziness, disorientation, incoordination, narcosis, nausea or
narcotic effects

Iso
Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. Exposure to high concentrations has a narcotic effect, producing symptoms of dizziness, drowsiness, headache, staggering, unconsciousness and possibly death.

Inhalation:
Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause coughing, dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and unconsciousness.

Mineral spirits is the worse.

I'm going to try it though. just a little bit to see what happens.

BTW - I use a thermometer and a crockpot to do my acetone, just like you could with ISO. Prob is, Iso has water in it, or ethyl for that matter. Hard to boil the water out of a pot full of ISO, harder then boiling off solvent. stir and cook for 2 weeks. No residue.

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk.....i frowned when i saw the title of this thread....seen ppl throw a pipe at the person that packed this stuff in there then came the abuse....

if you make it how ever you make it....keep it to yourself to smoke....yuk.HH. =]-~

20kw dreams

lol...going straight to the medical clubs..lol...j/k

People say the same about acetone, until they smoke it!

25micron

don't you think people have thought of using it before think of it this way
if you we're a sniffer of solvents would you take this shit
also you should think that smoking it could be like freebasing the solvent
take it easy be careful

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
In a nutshell, i don't think it's a good idea to use paint thinner. You may save a FEW bucks but i promise your results will be better with butane, iso, hexane, or heptane..............with a much lower health risk

Papulz

Veteran
ethanol - expensive? hardly... i've purchased 2 liters for use in oil making for a grand total of.... **Gasp** 34 dollars. oh, not to mention in the method i use, i can make just about 150 grams of oil from the 2 litres of ethanol. (next time you smoke up 150 grams of oil in a night, call me)
heres the short and short of whats goin on here man.

paint thinner is horrible, anyone who has ever worked with it knows it. It saddens me to see threads like this that can end up seriously hurting people and also makes the community look irresponsible. Stuff like this helps LEO and their scare tactics. that said, this just reflects poorly on us.

i'm not about crushing scientific discovery, i'm not about limiting discussion of ideas.. just some discussions are not the placed well, especially when they are going to be viewable for people in the know and not.

be safe, enjoy what we enjoy and don't take this as a personal attack on your beliefs, as it is not meant to be.

mmm420socal

20kw dreams said:
Hexane and aromatic compounds. Wow, that's rough.

You guys don't need to get all exited over a simple question. You think Butane and Isopropyl Alcohol is good for you or what?

Well, YES... better than ****in MINERAL SPIRITS...

Ive worked with min spirits, naptha, MEK, all sorts of nasty solvents... And non of them I would wanna do an extract with.

Now, I HAVE used Acetone in High School, and yah it works... but ugh, I'd much rather use ISO.

When you use 99% ISO from Safeway/Vons, there is no residue to worry about. Once it evaporates, its just 1-3% water residue (since its hygroscopic it absorbs SOME moisture making it closer to 97% in-use)

I dunno about you but when I evap my ISO I then leave the tray out to "purge" for a whole 6 hours or so, just to be sure. I have hot-plate evap'd and used the toaster to cheat before...but I feel better letting it do a long purge.

Stay away from the mad scientist solvents, we wanna see you keep havin those 20kw dreams, and not the Parkinson or Alzheimers dreams ;)

M3
:headbange :bashhead:

Latest posts

Latest posts