What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Right to Die

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Saw a video on youtube showing how Americans travel to Switzerland to terminate life. Apparently you do not need to be terminally sick. Anyone know anyone who did this or know anything about it?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I watched a compelling documentary of a guy with ALS who chose to go out with some grace.

He traveled there to die.

It was really beautiful to see one cheat the nastier side of nature and avoid traumatic suffering.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
If you have an animal that is suffering and will most certainly die - then it is considered humane to relieve them of that suffering - and assist them gently to shuffle off this mortal coil with compassion and respect.

- We should all have the right to die with some dignity - and those are lucky to be able to chose when and where they pass on - most often its very sudden and tragic - or long and drawn out with insufferable pain - As much as we have a right to choose what we do in life - we should also have a choice over our own death.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I think that most countries in Western Europe allow you to end it in a civilized way if you have a terminal condition. It's only in the US that you go in a nursing home where you pay 5 star hotel prices and allow them to take everything you worked your entire life for while you finish your existence in a man made hell.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
.... but in the US, if you're close enough to death already, Hospice will take care of you, you'll just go a little later than you planned.:tiphat:

St. Phatty

I think that most countries in Western Europe allow you to end it in a civilized way if you have a terminal condition. It's only in the US that you go in a nursing home where you pay 5 star hotel prices and allow them to take everything you worked your entire life for while you finish your existence in a man made hell.

Reminds me of that episode in Goldfinger where Bond says, "do you expect me to talk ?"

And Goldfinger says, "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Expect with American "health care" it's -
"You give us all your money. Then you die."

EsterEssence

Veteran
My Dad died in a rest home with Alzheimer's in a diaper from bed sores, I asked my stepmom to help me end it for him, she wasn't having it, her christian ways. He was such a proud man I know he would not have wanted to end his life like that. I have told my kids to not let that happen to me. Once there is no more quality of life, it is time to go, if I can't make the decision then I hope they do. It will be part of my will, which I am going to do as soon as my lawyer gets back from Costa Rica. At 65 it's time to get some affairs like this together...

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
old friends Pa was terminal and once law changed(west coast)his family all sat around and watched him drink the koolaid.......’lil trippy, but understandable........he was good man that enjoyed his time alone on the trinity river fishing......R.I.P. Mr. C........

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on where "they decide" hospice takes place. They "may allow" you to die in your home, in the case I am referring "they" the illustrious medical community first wants both legs.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The fact anybody can even argue against it blows my mind. Let's break it down. You have a failing quality of life. You lived a full life and you feel like you have accomplished what you were here for. You want to die on your own terms. Somebody who has nothing to do with you, who has never met you, who doesn't know your story wants you to continue to be alive, even if you are constantly suffering. Why? Because it makes them feel better. It's not about your suffering, it's about making them feel uncomfortable. Some people will do anything not to feel uncomfortable with the reality of life.

Green Squall

Death with dignity. Enough said. Its legal in 8 states and the District of Columbia. The specific method in each state varies, but mainly involves a prescription from a licensed physician approved by the state in which the patient is a resident.

I do find it concerning Switzerland allows non terminally ill people to travel their and off themselves, although recently, a 104 year old Australian man traveled there to end his life and he had good reason.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
If I have Alzheimer's or something with a miserable ending, and it gets to the point where I'm about toast. Check please.

My wife's brother in law had brain cancer. The family got together, they had one last get together and the doctor set it up so he could push the button and that was it. This was in Europe.

W

Water-

I've been sailing since I was a child.

I have no familiy of my own and my parents wont be around much longer.

when I feel the my body or mind going, I plan on selling everything and sailing off around the world until I drop dead or the ocean takes me.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I've been sailing since I was a child.

I have no familiy of my own and my parents wont be around much longer.

when I feel the my body or mind going, I plan on selling everything and sailing off around the world until I drop dead or the ocean takes me.

G `day water

Reminds me of a story I heard re Eskimos .
When the elders lost their teeth they were no longer useful contributors to the tribe .
The old folks would be placed on a sheet of ice and cast adrift on the ocean.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2160/did-eskimos-put-their-elderly-on-ice-floes-to-die/

Thanks for sharin

EB .

shithawk420

Veteran
If someone wants to kill themselve I say let them.but they should be the one to pull the trigger.if you wanna die that bad then do it yourself.dont put that burden on some one else.just fucking do it.you don't need someone else to do it.you want me to kill you then you better pay a lot of money.oh,but that money could go to your kids or grandkids.selfish fucks

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - but you also have to take into consideration those that have had a stroke - or are in some way incapable of pulling a trigger either because they are not even strong enough to do that - or like most people in this world, they don't have a gun - people that are ready to pass on, and may have told their relatives that if ever they become incapacitated - then they would like their lives ended somehow compassionately.

What service can you offer these people - who's quality of life is un-salvageable - and every hour of ever extra day alive is just tortuous for them?

* Do you advertize your service as 'The Grim Reaper' - and become some sort of compassionate hit-man?

If someone wants to kill themselve I say let them.but they should be the one to pull the trigger.if you wanna die that bad then do it yourself.dont put that burden on some one else.just fucking do it.you don't need someone else to do it.you want me to kill you then you better pay a lot of money.oh,but that money could go to your kids or grandkids.selfish fucks

CaptainDankness

You may want a lot of money, but I'd do it really cheap if it was legal. I've killed several dogs free of charge and I would have absolutely no problem helping out a person the same way (other than the law). For a small fee I'd take them out to die somewhere real nice, like the Grand Canyon just after sunset. Lol

They would have to be dying though, if some idiot wants to kill themselve for a stupid reason they can buy rope or pull a gun on me. Lol

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, besides the amount of money they will pay being in the hospital until they die is going to cost the family even more money and they must watch their loved one suffer.

shithawk420

Veteran
Ok.maybe I was a bit harsh cause I myself have suicidal thoughts but you better be damn sure you know what your doing.id rather give my money to the people I care about than stranger.but I understand if you have nobody

Latest posts

Latest posts