What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here tried Bhutanese sativas?

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recently heard of from a guy connected to a seed co. who travelled into remote parts of Bhutan to experience the best of their sativas.

He went up into the highlands to a small locality which had been cut off from the outside world for hundreds of years and so the sativas he sampled there were not prone to any outside influence and were absolutely ancient.

He recounted the high as something really extraordinary and unparalleled and as I have the opportunity to do a seed swap with him, I was wondering if anyone here could recount their experiences with Bhutanese weed?

Most interested,

billy

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Search for Bhutanese Thimphu. There's at least one grow log in here.

edit: or used to be! the search now co[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]mes e[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]mpty for so[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]me reason. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]m[/FONT]

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
They got really nice Hash! As another Poster said the most of their Crop is feeded to the pigs ( no joke ), they grow alot of Ganja there but don't really smoke it. The bit Hash they got is superb and hard to get! All like the Nepals! If you searching for some nice Strains go to Nepalese Strains, seems to be nearly the same!

hoffman25

yep
grew a freebie bhutanese thimpu last yr, super vigorous and very sativa leaning, finished later than my swazis. The high was fairly cerebral but not too racey, buds dried to lime green with floral, soapy scent. highly recomended.....

harry74

Veteran
Arjan : Don´t go to Bhutan Please

Arjan : Don´t go to Bhutan Please

Come on guys don´t give Arjan & Franco ideas for their next Strain Hunters.

We want Bhutan free of GreenHouse Lacasitos.

purple clouds

Veteran
hey billyblog if you like cannabis with a pure blissful sativa high with a unique taste you won't be dissapointed. its decently potent and the quality of high is exceptional. sadly I lost the pure bhutanese. i'm growing out a hybrid of it now, so far it dominates in growth and smell. In my eyes those seeds are gems. I've been trying to get to bhutan for years to go and collect seeds.

bigbag

Veteran
had a good conversation with Shantibaba re; Bhutanese cannabis a few years ago. He said quality cannabis is hard to find there as the pig fodder stuff is only mediocre and smells like carrots. also Tobacco is illegal in Bhutan, so smoking of anything is frowned upon...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
No greenhouse influence in Bhutan,I am there at the moment collecting seed stock,incredible unspoilt place.

I hope you get a chance to explain to as many farmers as possible the importance of preserving their unique gene pools. Before someone shows them or they discover what might be considered new or improved.

This goes for anywhere you travel.

Satyros

I'll plug for it again since I like Bhutan, and I like cannabis, and can't add much to that list.

Will of course be interested in what Seed Hunter has been able to scarf.

The one I tried and would be likely to try again is Mandala's White Bhutanese. Grew three this year, and, growing-wise, it has some strengths. Firstly I try to get smallish plants for concealment purposes. They say don't plant until June if so. I did, and then for the first time in my life, I was looking up at cannabis. The stuff really races up there. Pretty decent yield, it's not quite "empty" on its inner parts as some are said to be. One of my plants made really wispy buds; the other two came out just like Mandala's picture, a little bit more clumpy with foxtails. Main colas the size of a forearm, but, of course, not really being dense, they don't weigh much.

Secondly, it's done in early November. It does go 2-3 weeks slower than most indica plants, but doesn't need that really super long period like strains from equatorial regions. Bhutan is around 25 deg. N so it's not even sub-tropical.

The stuff came out lemon-scented and I like the effect. Moderately creeper, light, uplifting, mood enhancing. I doubt everyone would like it; doesn't feel like a drug. Nothing majorly energizing or psychotic like some strains are said to be. Pretty straightforward high with no crash, drowsiness, etc. It's that kind of buzz that "only" cannabis can offer.

I'm no expert, but these plants were probably the most pinnate or narrow-leafed I have grown, so I think they are pretty honest in saying it's a land race we repro'd in order to feminize it. I like a small company slated towards outdoor organics that does things maybe a little differently. So I'll go out on a limb to speculate, whatever they say about something is probably pretty accurate.

The only real downside I found is that it is susceptible to wind damage. Meaning from gale force storms. Parts that broke, I just cut off, but other parts that were folded/crimped that I tried to straighten, died on the plant.

I find it to be good for a calm but alert personality. I don't know if it would do much for heavy activity or noisy partying or anything like that. If you like a mellow time that's unrelated to being a stupefied zombie, this would probably be up your alley.