What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Cafetiere (French Press) Extraction

jump117

Veteran
Jump 117 pioneered and has done the most work on this technique, so you might check out : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=168388

Thank you for your kind words Gray Wolf!

@2bags

It should be noted that the duration of about two hours I was determined for the temperature -20℃, which is well maintained in a thermos.

Without thermal insulation temperature of coffeepot and its contents first will rise to the boiling point of isobutane -11.7℃, and dissolution occurs more rapidly than at -20℃.

When all the isobutane evaporated, coffeepot can warm to the boiling point of n-butane -0.5℃ and further dissolution of the resin at this temperature will occur much more quickly.

How many undissolved residual resin remains on the material when the duration is limited to 15 minutes?

Will there be enough time to dissolve all the necessary resin until all the gas will evaporate?

I hope that your experiments will shed light on these questions.

I would recommend to arrange some insulation and soak longer in colder butane.

:thank you:

2bags

Thank you for your kind words Gray Wolf!

@2bags

It should be noted that the duration of about two hours I was determined for the temperature -20℃, which is well maintained in a thermos.

Without thermal insulation temperature of coffeepot and its contents first will rise to the boiling point of isobutane -11.7℃, and dissolution occurs more rapidly than at -20℃.

When all the isobutane evaporated, coffeepot can warm to the boiling point of n-butane -0.5℃ and further dissolution of the resin at this temperature will occur much more quickly.

How many undissolved residual resin remains on the material when the duration is limited to 15 minutes?

Will there be enough time to dissolve all the necessary resin until all the gas will evaporate?

I hope that your experiments will shed light on these questions.

I would recommend to arrange some insulation and soak longer in colder butane.

:thank you:

Thanks for dropping by jump.

I wonder if I could try insulating the coffee pot by wrapping in some kind of material or placing it in an ice bath outside whilst it's soaking to try and keep the temps down?

I will be sure to report back with my findings.

JColtrane

I must give props to you jump117! You and GW helped me on the path I am on today ... I have had the chance to say that to him in person, and hope to one day do the same with you sir :)

We had the chance to do a thermos extraction in GW's class last saturday ... it made me happy to be an icmager for so long! I must report to you brother jump that GW made an amazing thermos extraction, and it opened many students eyes to simple extractions.

Once again :thank you:

gunnaknow

A thermos is probably the ideal non-pressurized vessel for extractions but the french press still has it's merits, as do other vessels. You'd be forgiven for thinking that I'd only advocate the thermos method, given my past involvement with it's development but I'd prefer not to see it replace every other method out there. If someone starts a thread on the french press method, it should be encouraged in my view, although there's no harm in mentioning the thermos method aswel.

gunna

gunnaknow

Many here already know that the thermos method was first pioneered by the likes of myself, Jump and Nirex but not many here know who pioneered the cafetiere or french press method. It was a guy called Sun Tzu, back in 2002. He was a member on a UK forum that Jump and I used to frequent. I think that his contribution to the community deserves a mention. I'll put his first post on the subject below, for you to read.

Sun Tzu said:
OK, using a sep funnel is not the ultimate method. I admit it. There is a much better way, that costs a lot less.

Go down to your local Woolies, M&S, whatever. Pick up a cheap cafettiere (Sp? plunger type coffe maker is what I mean). Now you have the best butane extractor I can think of. Simply make it like a cup of coffee. Put the weed in the bottom, then the butane (still using the wooden strip with the hole in it). As soon as the butane is in, put the plunger in, with the base filter bit resting at the top of the butane (to slow evaporation). When the butane has turned green, simply push the plunger down (slowly) to filter out the weed and pour off the butane into a seperate pyrex beaker for evaporation.

How much simpler do you want it? :)

2bags

Thanks for the info gunnaknow.

I will be going ahead in the next day or so, the materials are freezing currently.

Any last minute tips?

Once soaked I'll be pouring the mixture into a frozen glass jar with a coffee filter secured to the top. Once filtered through, I will then pour the mix into a 21cm pyrex dish to evaporate.

lifehack

I hate the mason jars.. i always must fuck up but I get LOTS of resin on my filters and ball lids.... dunno I always use DRY ice in a cooler to do my chilling.. try buying 50lbs of dry ice per pound (depending on how far u have to go..?) dry ice and alcohol make a nice cryo liquid.. maybe put this in the vacuum of your thermos... or idk think about it.. creativity is far and few between these days.. I like using turkeybasters for small personal.. but mass I used mason jars... also I like to use a Buckner funnel now days so i can get 25u purity with filter paper

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
On a humorous note, I have many ways to make coffee, and thought of getting one of these presses... but now must think it's only for laboratory use.

Be Safe!

2bags

What about submerging the cafetiere in an ice bath whilst it is soaking? Is this likely to reduce the rate of butane evaporation?

gunnaknow

Hey 2bags, I wouldn't really recommend that. Liquid water is no colder than 0 °C, unless it's under pressure or purified and then supercooled. Ice alone can be much colder than 0 °C, so placing the cafetiere in ice straight from the freezer would be better. However, if the butane, cafetiere and bud are first cooled in the freezer to around -20 °C, the temperature will drop even further upon injection of the butane, thanks to the rapid cooling effect from gas expansion. Any ice placed around the outside of the cafetiere would therefore be warmer than the butane itself. It may be better than allowing the cafetiere to sit at ambient temperature but there are better alternatives. The use of dry ice would be one but that's not always practical. Another option is to wrap a highly insulating material (flexible closed-cell foam, etc) around the cafetiere, before placing it in the freezer. This will trap cold air around the cafetiere, which although is no colder than ice, will radiate much less heat into the butane than ice. Air is a very poor conductor of heat and highly insulating materials are typically made up almost entirely of air. To give you a better idea, ice has a thermal conductivity of 2.18 W/m.K (watts per meter kelvin) at 0 °C, whereas air only has a thermal conductivity of 0.024 W/m.K at the same temperature. That's approximately 90 times less. I hope that this was helpful.

2bags

Hey 2bags, I wouldn't really recommend that. Liquid water is no colder than 0 °C, unless it's under pressure or purified and then supercooled. Ice alone can be much colder than 0 °C, so placing the cafetiere in ice straight from the freezer would be better. However, if the butane, cafetiere and bud are first cooled in the freezer to around -20 °C, the temperature will drop even further upon injection of the butane, thanks to the rapid cooling effect from gas expansion. Any ice placed around the outside of the cafetiere would therefore be warmer than the butane itself. It may be better than allowing the cafetiere to sit at ambient temperature but there are better alternatives. The use of dry ice would be one but that's not always practical. Another option is to wrap a highly insulating material (flexible closed-cell foam, etc) around the cafetiere, before placing it in the freezer. This will trap cold air around the cafetiere, which although is no colder than ice, will radiate much less heat into the butane than ice. Air is a very poor conductor of heat and highly insulating materials are typically made up almost entirely of air. To give you a better idea, ice has a thermal conductivity of 2.18 W/m.K (watts per meter kelvin) at 0 °C, whereas air only has a thermal conductivity of 0.024 W/m.K at the same temperature. That's approximately 90 times less. I hope that this was helpful.

Very helpful thanks for the great info. :tiphat:

gunnaknow

You're welcome, 2bags. You needn't worry too much about insulating the whole cafetiere, by the way. It's the sides and the bottom of the vessel that are most important. The top is less important because the butane forms a dense layer of vapor above the surface, which acts as an insulating plug. It's one of the reasons why a thermos continues to work so effectively even when the lid contains holes. It's a good idea to loosely drape something over the top to stop any breeze though, once you've injected the butane. Anyhow, good luck buddy.