What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ken's Grand Daddy Purple

Grown Ken's cut from Hilltop for years. Definitely wouldn't call it shit. :2cents:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

S

Seal-Clubber

so maybe this kens gdp is from seed or a fake? well glad u know the difference, and for calling out a fake when u see it.

see, this is where I wanted the thread to go.. lolol...

Ya, most of what people are getting in the Bay Area and Sacramento area is FAKE GrandDaddyPurple. The real stuff is some of the most tasty kind buds on the planet AND it goes purple, AND gets fat about mid-70s temp..

:rasta:

This funny conversation got even more interesting when I started talking about my FEM version of GDP(clone) I got from DHN in Oakland about 8 years ago. As soon as they tasted it, they loved it. They are growing about 20-30 of my FEM version of GDP next year. I`ve grown about 20 from the original FEM#1 and no hermies at all. Some of the sweetest herb I have ever tasted and it goes purple too!

btw, the Ken's GDP clone I have is looking nice. I will let it bloom with the season and in a few months, I will hopefully have some sweet purple. I`m trying to give Ken's GDP all the credit in the world but when a person has the real GDP, the bay area club shit is TERRIBLE! (even if it tests 22%+ thc)

I rate on taste, smell, and effect mostly. I`ve never seen a strain burn like a dense knot of horse hair and taste good.

All the stuff I have tried labeled, "Ken's GDP" was little or no purple and a little hashy/citrus taste. I thought it was fairly bland and NOT the super-sweet grape smell or taste I was looking for..

Everyone wants Sweet + Heavy + Hard Hitting + Purple. :)

I think Ken's is not sweet, not heavy, not very stony, and some purple. I will know for sure since I have my hands on it.

This quote was taken from Ken's website.
It also says the taste is a "Smooth hash taste".. And says nothing about the smell other than it "tastes like it smells", so hashy...

GDP is suppose to be grape smell and taste with major purple fat buds.. Ken even says his is NOT like this. Ken does not have the real Purple Urkle x BigBud hybrid, it`s a champagne kush that turns purple and he is trying to sell that as granddaddy. GrandDaddy Purp, or "GrandDad's Purp" has been around in Nor-Cal for 20+ years.. Ken just wanted to take and copywrite the name GDP like what Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and shit did.

Here:
http://granddaddypurp.com/kens-grand-daddy-medical-marijuana-strain/
Ken's Grand Daddy is a champagne strain that's defiantly "quality without compromise" making it a great way to start the day off or end the day, right. Our dominant Indica strain is like no other, and it's just what the doctor ordered! You won't find very many medical marijuana strains that taste like they smell, but be assured... this is one of them!
Deliciously sticky, with a rich, smooth hash taste that's healthy and well balanced, our Grandaddy is a hardy plant with tight internodes and dense dark green to purple leaves that gain their royal purple hues as they mature.
The strain flaunts large crystal-covered buds that are dense green nuggets that are considered to be among the most beautiful and effective available... anywhere. Both potent and pungent with a sweet aftertaste, many generations have been produced and evolved to achieve this truly unique strain.
Our Ken's Grand Daddy's medicinal properties are extremely focused and definite, while evoking complete mental relaxation. It produces no hangover or ill effects and is great for chatting, laughing, physical activity, appetite stimulation then sleeping like a baby.
Limon, that looks like a Champagne hybrid.. Does it smell like SUPER sweet grapes or just a little citrus/hashy? What were your temperatures?

ps, also - stay away from those garbage and shit strains from Modesto, CA. What a shit-hole, meth addict, scumbag town...

circadian clock

uh oh, the truth has been spoken.lol but seriously if ur life is so miserable u have to resort to name callin and trollin i really dont know how to feel about it really. defiantly not cut from the same cloth so to speak. but anyway like i said as long as u know what real is thats all that matters. call em out call em out call em out.

S.A. MAXIMUS

:laughing: well said bro
You reviewed the co-op and the grower which is not what these reviews are supposed to be for. This is supposed to be about smoke reports of a strain when you know exactly what it is. You say the strain you smoked looked nothing like "real" GDP and the co-op sold it for schwag prices. Come on man. You gave us a report of some schwag your local co-op conned you into buying by telling you it was GDP for a cheap price. :frown:
Your eyes told you it wasn't GDP and you should know because you've grown it before and the price tells you it's not GDP. You should have trusted your own knowledge of the strain, instead you discarded all of that because you heard $100 an ounce and GDP together.
You said the "real" GDP, when you say one is "real" you are insinuating that the other is not real, rates 8/10. An 8/10 is a very good rating. So GDP doesn't "kinda sux." The sample of something you got conned into buying at you local co-op which looks nothing like the "real" GDP and sold for schwag prices, kinda sux.
If you would have given us the name of the local conning Nor-cal co-op we would have had at least some practical knowledge we could use from your review. We would have known to stay away from the place.

S.A. MAXIMUS

I live in South Africa and was subsequently obviously not able to get a clone cutting but rather acquired seeds delivered via glass vial from a reputable seed supplier overseas. I have been running clones from that stock for two years...it is mindbogglingly nice and smells of astringent grapes with a citrus undertone.

every single clone i plant out turns a deep deep purple soon after it is more or less ready to harvest out.
when hanging in the drying cupboard the entire house would smell so nice the wifey would say dry that shit here anytime.

my point is i dont think anyone who has ever used this strain can mistake the plant it is an awesome plant and my peeps down here really REALLY like the strain.

im new here i did have pics but i will take new ones after summer is done and show yall what i mean

:tumbleweed:

pappy masonjar

Veteran
And heres some of her offspring.

Kens GDP x FireAlien Master (female)
picture.php

Kens GDP x bodhi's Prayer Tower (female)
picture.php

left to right. Kens GDP x F.A.M., another strain (Alphakronik's Sin city kush), GDP x PT (MALES)
picture.php

:tiphat:

Croissant

In the past what I seen as gdp was straight dark purple and smelled heavenly, I have not seen that stuff in years. I have no idea about kens seeds. But what goes around as gdp these days doesn't hold a candle to the straight pure dark purple gdp I remember. I often wondered why and where to get the gdp I remember.

I've been holding the Kens GDP cut for years....since before seeds of it were available and, seeing this thread, I'm sure glad I have.

I have no idea of the dispensary scene is like in Cali, but if your GDP isn't purple w/ orange hairs and taste like Grape Fruit Roll-Ups, it's not the Kens cut of GDP (period).

picture.php

picture.php

Not the strongest weed I've grown but the grape smell and taste plus anti anxiety/depression high has made it a permanent member of my little harem. It puts a shit-ass grin on my face.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Looks good fo sho!

Mines is from seed. Kens seeds, but still seeds.
It does look close to yours though.
And definetly is str8 grape candy.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I love my GDP x ChemD = GrandoggyPurps.
Even after it was crossed with the Chem D, you can still taste mad grape in the hybrid. What you got was swag/middies GDP fakes if there is no grape flavor or purple coloring.
I cant wait till I can grow out CSG's GDP s1's. Super strong purpling and grape flavor.

Heres the GdoggyP with all that grape flavor you didnt get with your fake GDP. It cuts right through the ChemD ~
picture.php

picture.php

pappy masonjar

Veteran
I got 2 gdp x prayer towers and a gdp x FireAlien master females in flower right now. I also got a gdp x pt male that im collecting pollen from now. To make some f2s.
Im betting/hoping the grape will carry through on the Prayer tower cross. Not sure about the other one.

A

AlterEgo860

I thought I was told the REAL GDP is dark purple and amazing yields.. kens cut.. is supposedly.. gdp x chameleon I think its called.. im not positive but I was told that's y kens cut doesn't get half as purple in hot temps as the real GDP.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
i never grew Kens Cut, but the Kens GDP seeds i grew turned completely purple.

And i think your thinking of "champagne", but im not sure. Im not saying thats what Kens GDP is, i just think ive heard that before too.

A

AlterEgo860

thanks for correcting me.. yes I ment champagne.. and ive actually talked to a friend.. who has GDP. and kens Cut.. and GDP from kens seeds.. and he said original GDP is the best out there.. and none of kens compares.. but hey.. if u like it u like it.. I know if I get any more purple strains.. im looking for clone only GDP... the one that has huge amazing yields of dense purple buds that smell like a straight up grape, and has the taste straight up..

I think honestly CSG is using the real GDP.. atleast that's wat it looks like in there crosses atleast.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
No csg uses kens cut.

And trust me, id love to grow out this "real gdp" that you speak of. While the kens gdp seeds I grew were good, I didnt keep clones for more than a couple runs. It wasnt a keeper keeper. It did taste EXACTLY like grape candy though

Im not sure I've even heard anyone claim to have this "real" gdp cut. Except dank Frank says he used a clone called "Ken Father", which he believes is the original GDP in some crosses. Which I think he believes actually stands for Gross Domestic Product, not GrandDaddy Purple.
But other than that I'm not sure I'm familiar with any clone only GDP besides Kens cut.
Is there a link or thread v you can point me towards?

Latest posts

Latest posts