What's new

Sheltie vs. Corgi

monkeyman

Hey,
So I am thinking about getting my first dog since living with my parents. Since I live in an apartment I have to get a small dog (I would love to be able to get a lab) and I am trying to decide on a good breed. So far I think it has come down to a Sheltie

sheltie-1.jpg

vs a Corgi .

harleysue33.jpg

Anyone have any experience with either breed that can give me a recommendation in one way or another? Anything else that I may be missing? I'm looking for something fairly frisky that I can play frisbee and catch with, rough house with, etc. Though ideally it'll also be content to curl at my feat when I am up the early mornings programing.

Having a liking for the marijuana wouldn't be bad either. Speaking of which, does anyone ever get their pets high? I know the beagle my parents have love it.

(Can't ask that type of question on the dog forums I've been reading too, probably get a lot of angry replies, lol)

Ncogneato

I have owned many types of dogs. Two of which are shelties (inherited from a family member). I really love dogs, but the shelties are the dumbest I have ever encountered. They can be mean little bastards too. Best dog I ever owned was a full blood cocker spaniel male. Extremely smart. And loved to smoked out. Every time I lit up he would come running right into my lap to veg out with me.

Last edited:

monkeyman

Ncogneato said:
I have owned many types of dogs. Two of which are shelties (inherited from a family member). I really love dogs, but the shelties are the dumbest I have ever encountered. They can be mean little bastards too. Best dog I ever owned was a full blood cocker spaniel male. Extremely smart. And loved to smoked out. Every time I lit up he would come running right into my lap to veg out with me.

That's interesting, I have always heard of Shelties being so intelligent. Hmm

G

i've never owned a sheltie, but i've had friends and family that have.... personally i think they are lacking in personality they all seem the same to me.... kinda just there.... never really excited and when they are it's still not very excited. i dunno... just my 2 cents, not my breed i spose, but some folks love em.... not exactly what i'd consider a rough housing dog....

Potroast

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
monkeyman said:
Hey,
So I am thinking about getting my first dog since living with my parents. Since I live in an apartment I have to get a small dog (I would love to be able to get a lab) and I am trying to decide on a good breed. So far I think it has come down to a Sheltie

sheltie-1.jpg
looks like lassie beautiful pup.

buckeye

G

As you all know I am a fan of the bully. If I were to get a small dog, and someday I will, it will be a Boston Terrier. High energy , non-aggressive and best of all, they don't bark much. Probably the quietest of the lil dogs.

I would say go with the Corgi. I had a beautiful female, she was a wonderful dog, got stolen out of my yard... :( She was VERY smart, housetrained easily, very loveable, AND she LOVED weed! She would eat little buds I dropped, and would sit there waiting patiently when I was smoking, waiting for a hit. I would call her over, blow a hit in her face slowly, and she would sit there licking the air. 2 or 3 of those and she was happy. Goddamn I miss her. :frown:

BTW, there is two different types of Corgi, Pembroke and Cardigan. I had a Pembroke, the Cardigan is quite a bit bigger.

PhillyPhunk

My Girlfriend has a Sheltie. Its really smart. It can pick up different items off the floor , if you call out bone , it gets the bone , if you call out dog , it goes and gets teh stuffed dog. I knows about a dozen different names of its toys.

The only thing I dont like about her sheltie (pinky) is that she is very loud and will bark at anything. The barks are ear piercing. My neigbor owns a sheltie too , his isnt loud AT ALL though. Strange.

Fat Albert

Shelties are little bastards with a real mean streak in them....perhaps due to EXCESSIVE INBREEDING (hmmm....). Corgis, though, are really fun, and they have great personalities...great with kids, smart, good for hunting moles LOL. If I was able to have a dog right now, it'd be a Corgi, springer spaniel, or bloodhound. I like pheasant.

Fat A

monkeyman

Ahhh...it so nice to be around reasonable people who don't respond with the same knee jerk reaction as most of the world when it comes to this. I posted a thread on the corgi message boards (under a different name) just to see what they're reaction would be to me providing weed to my dog. Here are some of the highlights...

(I don't actually have a pup named pongo already, but I figured they'd really flip if i thought I was giving it to a puppy, which I am not planning on doing)

-- My Post --
I know this is going to be a controversial topic, but I really am worried about the health of my Pongo and want to make sure he'll be okay.

I have a year and a half old pembroke, Pongo, crazy cute and one of the most wonderful dogs I have ever owned (Corgis really are an amazing breed, aren't they?). Occasionally I like to enjoy a little bit of cannabis after a meal or durign a day off. My question is...have you heard of any breed specific allergies to cannabis in Corgis or have any experience in giving some to yours?

I live in Rotterdam in the Netherlands so its not uncommon for him to walk by smoke and I haven't seen any noticable reaction in him. My last dog which was a Jack Russel Terrier used to love it. When I would light up he would come running, hop in my lap and eagerly await his turn.

I would love to share this with Pongo and I am sure he'd enjoy it, I just want to be sure it'd be safe.

Thanks

-- Some of the reactions --

I hope you are joking??? What you are asking is ridiculous - you want to share
it with your Pongo?- is there someone else you know that could take your
Pem and give him a good home?

*~*
Unbelievable !!!

I think...that you need someone ELSE to talk to !

Like a counselor...maybe !

>>>SHEESH<<< !

unbelieveable !!!

These are animals that depend on us looking after their health and welfare. To get any animal high on pot is just irresponsible-who knows what kind of reaction they may have. Were you straight when you wrote that post?

no I do not it would be "safe" to blow Pongo a shotgun or offer him a hit from your recreational indulgence.

Even though it wasn't asked, but in Pongo's best interest I thought it might be prudent to mention:
Alcoholic beverages can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

If I am not mistaken, the LD-50 tests which show at what point marijuana becomes lethal is conducted on animals right? And even on them it still takes massive amounts, more then is possible to intake in the course of any possible normal day to harm the animals, right?

I have never heard of a problem with someone giving the drug to their animals. I am also sure that with as much anti-drug propaganda that exists in this country if it harmed animals, they'd put that on every poster.

"See the drug isn't safe, it kills dogs...do you really want to risk it and put that into your system?"

Last edited:
The Pembrokes were originally used to herd animals, and also to chase subterranean animals....My dog had it in her genetics. She would herd the kids, running around them and barking. She also would dart into gopher/mole holes....My son and I loved her so much, she was such a great dog. I've had friends with Shelties, I've never been partial to the breed.

monkeyman

Wow, got another one...
You're a great reminder why dogs have better ideals and pursuits than a lot of humans. Give you Corgi to someone who might appreciate him properly and not even contemplate feeding him with poison and wrecking his mind and senses. Yours started crumbling a long time ago, mate. What makes a Jack Russell any more or any less special than a Corgi?

I would imagine that you follow the brethren who deny that cannabis is harmful despite the volumns of old and new information to the contrary.

Some years ago my two Corgis combined to extract the cork and drink a bottle of home made wine (not grape-based) but strong in alcohol content. When I took them to a large park, they both went around the ground at break-neck speed in a trully crazy fashion ( and I didn't know why until later when I found the empty bottle. It was hilarious at the time but I never contemplated adding wine to their menu. I suspect that this guy from the Netherlands with the cannabis habit, would have assumed since the dogs had enjoyed themselves so much, he would make it a regular thing and both he and his Corgis could drink themselves silly and laugh all the way to the morgue

volume of evidence???

G

Don't worry MM. I get my oldest dog loaded every night. He has enjoyed it since he was a pup and he is 11 now. I'm sure the bleeding hearts will jump my case but, oh well.

PS ..my African Gray loves to get high also.

Latest posts

Latest posts