What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Apartment Growing..Can It Be Done?

I Used To Grow

I recently got my own apartment and I want to start growing again because I have some decent genetics thanks to a kind ICer.

What I'm concerned about is my landlord snooping around when I'm not in my crib. Can they just come into your place and snoop around? She didn't say anything to me about it and I didn't ask because I don't want her to get suspicous.

Is it safe to grow in an apartment?

Who here has grown in an apartment and got away with it. I would like to hear your stories.

I'm only planning on growing 5 plants from seed...so not too many. I will be using floros to grow at first and then for flowering I'll be buying a 400W MH.

G

yes tehy can come into your place, but be careful thats all. you should b e fine

I would suggest changing the locks if possible and also your landlord usually has to give prior notice before inspections/repairs. Where I live its 12 hours.. (Check your local landlord/tenant rights)

monkeyman

Definetly grow in a cab with maximum stealth. That means no light leaks, no visible ducting and something to cover up the vortex fan noise (I am partial to leaving a fan on high speed right next to the output, so that if they hear the noise they'll see the fan and assume its from there.

Second, I would think about putting it in a bedroom and changing the locks on the door. Don't change the locks on teh front door, thats really obvious. In a sub bedroom that'll stop them from getting in. Preferably in a room without access to the bathroom but with expensive stuff inside. Put your compter in there. That way you can explai the lock on the door is for extra security. I don't know of any state where they can enter your apartment without notice with the exception of an emergency. The only realy emergency that could happen would be a pipe break or something. By keeping it in a stand alone bedroom, there is no reason they should go in there. That way in the event they come in without your knowledge and try the room, they can't really do much because it is against the law for them to be in there anyway.

The downside to locking the door is it tells them that something is up. Having your computer in there is good, but they could always just call the cops with their suspicion. Make sure you set something up to let you know if someone has been in there. Put tape on teh door every day when you leave or something on the door knob showing that it was tried.

I don't know if a landlord calling the cops on a locked door is enough for probable cause, it probably isn't, but you do want to knwo if someone is sniffing around.

I Used To Grow

Sweet..thanks for the advice guys..'specially you monkeyman.

Another question...can I just grow in a big ol' dresser? If I like take the drawers out install a fan and out take and all that cool stuff? I'm not the best when it comes to building stuff so I don't know how I would be able to build a growbox. I mean, it's possible that I could build one..just like, a door, and the sides, the back the top and bottom.

Any instructions on this site on how to build a grow box?

ethanp711

'I used to grow'...respect man, you're finally considering a grow. No more buying 8th's out in town now, right? What genetics you thinking of starting?

kingspade

monkeyman said:
Definetly grow in a cab with maximum stealth. That means no light leaks, no visible ducting and something to cover up the vortex fan noise (I am partial to leaving a fan on high speed right next to the output, so that if they hear the noise they'll see the fan and assume its from there.

Second, I would think about putting it in a bedroom and changing the locks on the door. Don't change the locks on teh front door, thats really obvious. In a sub bedroom that'll stop them from getting in. Preferably in a room without access to the bathroom but with expensive stuff inside. Put your compter in there. That way you can explai the lock on the door is for extra security. I don't know of any state where they can enter your apartment without notice with the exception of an emergency. The only realy emergency that could happen would be a pipe break or something. By keeping it in a stand alone bedroom, there is no reason they should go in there. That way in the event they come in without your knowledge and try the room, they can't really do much because it is against the law for them to be in there anyway.

The downside to locking the door is it tells them that something is up. Having your computer in there is good, but they could always just call the cops with their suspicion. Make sure you set something up to let you know if someone has been in there. Put tape on teh door every day when you leave or something on the door knob showing that it was tried.

I don't know if a landlord calling the cops on a locked door is enough for probable cause, it probably isn't, but you do want to knwo if someone is sniffing around.

great info monkeyman
a good security measure to find out if their snooping, is for a small hidden camera system. you can get a whole setup off ebay for under $150. hooks up to your pc, and can be set for motion sensor. you can setup a camera in every room, set it when you leave. if someone comes in, it turns on, and records everything. small pinhole cameras are also available on ebay pretty cheap.

monkeyman

A dresser would work if you take the time and fix it up. That's actually my next project, to make a small veg cab. I was going to cut the front off the drawers and mount them to a piece of wood to make a door. Then sand it down and refinish the whole thing to make it match. A good place to find old dressers for cheap is the salvation army. that way if you fuck up its only like 10 bucks.

The typical cab most people use here are the mills pride series. There are two really great threads on it here which will give you some ideas. The mills pride cabs are available at walmart for like 50 - 100 bucks depending on the size.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21879

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=20641

The people who post in the thread are really helpful, so don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. Read through it though, there are a lot of really great ideas.

Wacky Tobacky

ya definitly go with a c13 or a c24 depending how much u want to grow. i heard u can get a 1/2p with a c24 if done right

casey

im not spamming but check out supercloset.cizom...they have nice cabs but way too expensive so i'll build my own way better and at 1/5th the price.

when you google supercloset checkout the other sites that sell stealth cabs and get an idea of what is possible.

btw I know where you can buy a jumbo lockable office cabinet for $250 shipped

I agree. Mine's called a budbox, (UK), and it does the job for me. Plus, you can break it down and pack it up easily when you want to move. Although the pic's don't show, it's now got a carbon filter and extractor inside, (site the fan inside the box to minimise noise).

mtnjohn

Veteran
i grow in a 1 bedroom apt. here is my cab...its an old stereo cabinet that i fixed up a little
its 23"w x 17"d x 46"tall 150w hps dwc scrog
best i have done is a little over 3.5 oz....thats in just a little over 2 sq. ft.
not bad , but i think i could do 1/4 lb..just hav'nt yet
apt. growing is not ideal but it is possible

i have a veg/clone/mother area in a closet under the stairs...
just keep in mind that everything must have locks
i also keep my radios on during the days , when i'm at work to mask the fan noise, but once they are fliped to flower i have the lights on at night so the fan noise is minimal.

hope this helps

al=http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/3822cra_479.jpg]
3822cra_479-thumb.jpg
[/url]

J

JH151399-OG

that is really cool dude! kudos!

What kind of fan do you use? and how many gallons is your dwc rez?

mtnjohn

Veteran
i use 2 80 cfm comp. fans for the air cooling and 2 35 cfm comp fans for basic air movement.

my res. is a 4 gallon container i got from "staples"
air temps are about 78f.... 4-8 degrees warmer than room temp
good luck to ya

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Apartment growing can be done but you got to be smart about it. I grew in a townhome and had no problems at all with anything other then alittle odor. I just moved into a new apartment and the situtation is alittle different. I got a perfect spot but worried about smell and maintence. The first day I moved the maintence guy just unlocks my door and walks in. I don't like that shit. I might have to change a few locks especially my grow room. The way I see it you just got to be careful and use your head when growing in an apartment. Scope the scene for a few moths just to see how things go around your surroundings. If things are cool then go for it.

Latest posts

Latest posts