What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two Blue Satellites and a Kush

vukman

Veteran
Hello Everyone:

I have started a new grow and I would like to keep a grow journal. Anyone and everyone is invited along for this ride. As always, comments and criticism is always welcome but please try to make the critique constructive. It's just such a better way of conveying information, it is not taken personally and a great deal of learning can be had from a constructive argument....

So, as the title mentions, I have gained access to two Blue Satellites and a Kush. Now, whether the Kush is a Purple or a Bubba, I do not know. I was told but my poor little mind was elsewhere so I will have to get that info. later on today when I speak to the person who gave me the clones.

Now, yes, this is the same person who gave me those cootie (Thrips) infested clones so when I got them, I gave them a solid shot of Pyrethrin. It is a derivative from the Chrysanthemum flower. It is an organic pesticide and is safe to use. I believe it is completely neutralized and deteriorates after a day or two in bright light. Any information can be obtained about it via a search on line.

Since I have already started this little venture, I will give a brief background on what has been done so far.

One storage tub of an approximate size of 30gallons was purchased. On the bottom (which the pictures do not show) were drilled holes around every 4 inches for drainage. The hole sizes are 5/16 or 0.312in (6.8mm). The reasoning behind this size hole is very technical...it was the first drill bit I grabbed.......If you think I'm a serious type, you're so sadly mistaken...
picture.php

As you can see, I drilled along the side of the container as well and the lid of the container is acting as a tray. Then I drilled along the top lip of the container all the way around because I intend on using the 'LST' (Low Stress Training for those who do not know the acronym) technique hence the reasoning I planted the ladies where I did..
picture.php

The soil mixture is Promix BX with Mycorrhizae. There was around 1/4 bag remaining which was unused. A bag of sheep manure was mixed in as well as some Perlite which was again, left over and regular bagged top soil to top things off.. The top soil was just for filler so I could have enough mixture for the size of the container.

The lighting so far is the same 2-500W LED's which I used in the previous grow.. I can give you the spectrum and ratio on demand if needed but lets just say for the vegetative portion of the grow, they will do just fine. For the flowering, I will either have a DIY built by that time, will have another purchased unit or will add a 600W HPS with the LEDs now being used. There is time to determine how that will all come out.

So, that's about it so far...We all know that the veg. period is rather boring so please do not expect many updates until flowering begins.......

I want to thank all the people here at IC and in the mmj community in general for.....well.......just being you... Good, bad or indifferent, I thank you all..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The girls are healthy except for the 'Kush" which seems to be a little over watered. The pale green colour is due to the flash in the LED environment.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Those 3 girls look happy vukman, can't wait to see how they grow under your lights.

Have you ever tried bottom feeding using the lid as a tray before? I have been looking more and more into bottom feeding as it can help reduce bugs, pests and other issues as well as keep things easy to feed and know how much has been drank by the girls.

vukman

Veteran
I figured I should add something before the thread disappears into the lost threads of yesterday..:)

There really isn't much going on yet.. The girls are starting to get over their shock about going from cups into this tub. Root growth is probably exploding and there have been a few changes above ground but nothing like what will come when they've established a good solid root system base...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thank you for looking....

vukman

Veteran
Looking good. Hope the little Kush baby start to pick up. Really sweet strains.
That picture doesn't do her any justice but she is really starting to get the 'undergrowth' developing. It is true though that she is taking a bit longer than the Satellites to acclimatise. I have faith that in a week, I'll be very close to starting the LST....:)....Found out she's a purple as well... Thought she might be a bubba but she's purple..

Thank you for posting and following..

catalyte

Veteran
kool settup. Hopefully the clones can maximize on that huge shared root zone that they got!

vukman

Veteran
Thank you everyone for following along..I really appreciate it and thank you for your kind words in your PM's about LED's and what is being done with that field..

The praise and thanks actually is due to others from whom I have learned for it is their time and money which has made it possible to be here where we are today...

Okay,, these pictures are actually taken just one day after the previous post's pictures. I guess I'm saying that it looks like the girls have decided to start pushing some leaves..:).......The "purple girl" is lagging behind but she was a bit saggy when I got her too.. I have no doubt that she'll catch up soon...

Thank you again and enjoy....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

vukman

Veteran
Hey Everyone:

Just wanted to update the thread because there has been a development and that is that I've started training the Purple Kush.

I'm actually quite pleased that the girl is taking to the LST that quick. As you can see by the picture, she has started to adapt to her new position.

As for the satellites, just look at the size of the damn leaves!! LOL..Got my hand in there for some sort of scale. I have gone ahead and added a 6500K Sun Blaster for the white light that was missing and I think that should allow for some greater vertical growth because the way they were going, I would have 4' wide plants @ 1' of height! ahahah

Enjoy the pics and as always....comments, complaints, criticism...all is welcome...

Thank you

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

vukman

Veteran
home made CO2

home made CO2

Ahahah........Okay, I have to give credit where it's due...Thank you DrFever for reminding me how easy it is to make CO2. Ferment some yeast and away ya go..:)

So, here is the big hi-tech set up I have going at the moment..LOL

picture.php

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Nice grow, and I can't wait to see how those strains turn out. I am also interested in growing in beds with shared root space, which you probably already know. Hope you don't mind me hanging in for this one and good luck! I think we are almost neibours lol.

TGT

vukman

Veteran
Trying something new here

Trying something new here

Hey all:

Been a few days since I've updated and I've made a change or two.
I've gotten some SunBlaster 24" T5HO and I've attached them to the LED's.

I want to see if the added white light will make a difference to the grow.

Here are the images with the changes..:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I know the progress is slow to now. I should have up potted gradually instead of from a cup straight into a 60L container...The girls are spending most of their energy now on roots but when they are happily rooted.....look out!!!!! LOL

medmaker420

Veteran
looking great vukman

can't wait to see how your 2nd round does

lights look great and can't wait to see if your added white light helps or not since so many are talking about white light atm.

vukman

Veteran
Veg Day 16

Veg Day 16

Hey All:

I figured it was time to update a bit even though it's still veg time but have to keep up the diary I guess.

Progress has been a bit slow and I know it's my own fault. Instead of up potting slowly, I went from a 'rooting cup' directly into the 60L container you see in the pictures. The girls have been busy spreading roots and not really worrying about doing the vertical thing too much.

They've started to grow now on a much quicker pace but still for veg day 16, it should be a lot better and this mistake will not happen again....anyway..on to the pictures..

The yellow thing in there is a piece of a "Vapona Pest Strip". Have to kill off some fliers I have in there.. Sprayed for the larva but the fliers are proving a little more hardy so..........it's chemical warfare!! heheh

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

medmaker420

Veteran
The plants are looking good and yes once they get to filling that container they will start picking up the vertical growth for sure. How long do you plan on vegging these girls?

What are your thoughts on your co2 addition? any positive/negative things going on or nothing really noticed?

With fliers try and have a good dry cycle between watering and sticky traps are always great. I would hang them or at least stick it to the tote or on a stake above the soil to remove any potential leaching of the chemicals in that sticky into your soil mix.

vukman

Veteran
The plants are looking good and yes once they get to filling that container they will start picking up the vertical growth for sure. How long do you plan on vegging these girls?

What are your thoughts on your co2 addition? any positive/negative things going on or nothing really noticed?

With fliers try and have a good dry cycle between watering and sticky traps are always great. I would hang them or at least stick it to the tote or on a stake above the soil to remove any potential leaching of the chemicals in that sticky into your soil mix.

You know, as always brother, your wisdom is way above my levels...I didn't even think about the leeching of the shit (declor's) into the soil....thank you!!!!!!!

As for the CO2,,,I think it really has made a difference, I put more in after I took the pics but for now to raise that strip off the soil and yes, I do have to have a good solid dry cycle which is what I'm aiming for this time around...

Oh, the learning just never ends, does it??? As we speak, I am awaiting the drivers and double-sided thermal tape to be delivered.

I've also gone done and bought 2 more manufactured lights from Bysen as well.....the H161D-210......I think that's the one they are...the ones with the 6 modules...210's I'm almost sure of it...They are here at the airport but on hold because they have to clear customs....I don't know if they deliver tomorrow or not but I'll be switching out the LED's I have in there now and replacing them with the Bysen's which have the 'advanced' spectrum and ratio....curious to see what they will do..

At least I know that all this money I'm spending on lighting will come back to me even if I sell the items at cost...:)

Socrates

Hey, interested to see what those Bysen lights and DIYs do for you as well. That's going to be a lot of light in that cab! Did you alter the stock ratio/spectrum at all, or leave it as is?

medmaker420

Veteran
can't wait to see how the new lights do for you. I think you might need to get another cab in there and do some side by sides. Also it would be cool to see one of each light you have in a cab together to see how both of your spectrums do together.

so many options, hope all goes well for you.

Last edited:

vukman

Veteran
Hey, interested to see what those Bysen lights and DIYs do for you as well. That's going to be a lot of light in that cab! Did you alter the stock ratio/spectrum at all, or leave it as is?

First of all, thank you guys.....means a lot when people are genuinely interested in the outcome.

As for your question, the Bysen's I ordered with their 'advanced' spectrum. To be honest, I think that is the same spectrum that HGL was using when they were buying from Bysen and calling it their own..........but that's another story and I don't want to go there...just saying I think that's the advanced spectrum and ratio.

Medmaker420-- I'll have to play it be ear/eye here because all I have is 1-20A breaker for that whole room so I don't want to push it or anything.

I've been talking with my 'associates' and now with the passing of my grandmother, it frees me up to go help them out. From what I've been hearing, they've managed to procure another warehouse and will need someone to 'run it'.... Who knows, I might move everything from here over there and still have room left over for another tent or two to play around with.

Nothing concrete on that front yet but things do look good. I just might have to snap off some pictures over there for ya to see..<wink wink>.............:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest posts