What's new

dryyice to ISO/BHO etc...

150wpimpin

Is anyone running the dryice method before running ISo or BHO??

Im curious to know what is lost from dryice sifted keif to final result ISO

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya i just did run of dry ice then butane
insane bho yeilds, imho
first did a fine screen of dry ice thru bubble bags, go nice blonde lookn keif, when the keif started lookn a tad green i switched bags, and did a 2nd more coarse and more green batch, this is put in tubes and ran butane thru it
hash from hash
great oil, dabs for weeks

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya i just did run of dry ice then butane
insane bho yeilds, imho
first did a fine screen of dry ice thru bubble bags, go nice blonde lookn keif, when the keif started lookn a tad green i switched bags, and did a 2nd more coarse and more green batch, this is put in tubes and ran butane thru it
hash from hash
great oil, dabs for weeks

Cool! Do you know what your yields were from each step?

F

Funion

@ Avinash.miles

What kind of tube did you use for the kief? How much are you running at a time? I'm trying to imagine how you could rinse butane thru all that kief efficiently. Longer and thinner tube? Were there pockets of kief that didn't get washed inside the tube? What did you use at the end, coffee filter and mesh to keep it all in?
Sorry for the barrage of questions. I've always wanted to do this as I've got a DIY tumbler that can really produce with that dry ice.

On a side note, is it difficult for the average Joe in the USA to get pure medical grade ethanol alcohol?

Smoke weed everyday,
Funion

Xerhoss

A lil Everclear goes a long way when all you have to 'wash' are trichomes. lol

Less volume to wash = less alcohol used = less time to boil off = less time and $ spent in the oil making process = winner, winner, chicken dinner. :)

I did a dry ice run and got almost 50 percent yield on my bho. i was shitting myself when it was coming out the tube, it looked like a coke slurpee, it was insane i wont run buds anymore because this yields more and its easier to donate flowers to a collective or patient.

I did a dry ice run and got almost 50 percent yield on my bho. i was shitting myself when it was coming out the tube, it looked like a coke slurpee, it was insane i wont run buds anymore because this yields more and its easier to donate flowers to a collective or patient.

another thought is that different parts of the plant produce different combinations of cannabinoids, thus different medical effect. at least that is the skunk pharm research consensus. what about donating oil? that is all i donate anymore. much more compact and medicinal.

got pix, seedless? would love to see your process.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no recorded yeilds, great double extraction tho.

no recorded yeilds, great double extraction tho.

Cool! Do you know what your yields were from each step?

sorry no
i forgot to weigh the trim i was using, there was quite alot, it was already finely mulched coming from a trimming machine i use (sattelite by ez trim)

i have over a qp of blonde dry sift and almost 80g oil/ wax/ errl whatev you wana call it.

personally i like the double extraction method, altho my blonde dry ice came out very dry and wouldnt form a solid well, the balls i pressed are still crubley somewhat.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ Avinash.miles

What kind of tube did you use for the kief? How much are you running at a time? I'm trying to imagine how you could rinse butane thru all that kief efficiently. Longer and thinner tube? Were there pockets of kief that didn't get washed inside the tube? What did you use at the end, coffee filter and mesh to keep it all in?
Sorry for the barrage of questions. I've always wanted to do this as I've got a DIY tumbler that can really produce with that dry ice.

On a side note, is it difficult for the average Joe in the USA to get pure medical grade ethanol alcohol?

Smoke weed everyday,
Funion

borosilicate glass tube about 1 inch diameter and about 4 feet tall .75 full of dry ice hash very blonde little greenish tine
didnt weight it sorry
no pockets at all, butane def pressurised the keif in the tube and compressed it greatly almost immediately,
at the end of the tube i use a single coffee filter rubber banded on, then covered w a bubble bag pressing screen rubber banded and held w my gloved hand on.
and ya i guess it is kind a tough 2 get medy ethanol... not sure about that, any one know?

F

Funion

Avinash.miles thanks for your reply. 4 feet of glass tube is a lot of ice hash!!!
I've been thinking about trying the frozen stainless steel thermos method and letting the butane pool with the ice hash for a few minutes.
I cant wait to see what comes out!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
funion: "let the butane pool w ice hash"
i have done something like this: while the tane is purging out, i stirred in a small amount at a time of super blonde dry ice keif and kept on stirring and purging and it made a more "earwax"y substance, crumbly and sticky not like honey at all.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just finished a batch, and shot 3 tubes with 3 cans totaling 100g (before wieght) of keif and finished with close to 20g of BHO
dry ice to bho gets u the most bang for ur buck for the butane

Hey, I too want to make oil from dry ice kief! Whatever, sifting method used, I have heard that if you use kief or bubble, and then run a solvent based extraction from THAT you get the most bomb ass shit in the world. Im guessing using kief over bubble is the way to go, as you dont have to dry your bubble before dissolving it first.

Here's my take on kief: Dry ice, shall I say, is the ONLY way to kief like a pro. Im new to the whole oil thing, but I have alot of experience with kief and bubble. Before, I used dry ice I was wasting my time. For large scale kief, I use dry ice in a tumbler with 120um screen, or 140um if im going for quantity over volume. I see no difference in kief, that comes from 30 minutes in a tumbler with no dry ice, vs 5 minutes in a tumbler with dry ice.

With any dry sift method, the only factor your looking for is color. You stop, at some varying point when the color changes.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wouldnt say you get the bombest sh in the world from the method... jsut bang for ur buck for ur butane...

best keif ive gotten from dry ice is from wet plant matter, more smell and flavor after the keif dry and cured than keif made from dry n cured plant matter, didnt make a diff for the bho i made from it tho....

yup stop b4 the color changes

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@ssh
I use the pressing screen because the coffe filters somtimes will break from pressure and cold and it shoots all the keif into the tane purging.... actually i have stopped using coffee filters and now use a 120 bag at the end of my extraction tube, single layer

G

Guest 88950

right on........thats what i figured it was for.

just did a bho run using 1/2 oz of MNS Shit bud, cured.......and 7 gms of keif......purging as i type and then fill my Omicron with 1gm of bho and try out my new vape toy.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this thread died kinda, but i will reiterate, dry ice before running BHO saves tons of cash on butane, better yeilds per can. must use pressing screen tho, no coffee filters

A

AlterEgo860

I was told u can use keif or bubble bag hash just need to make sure that u pack it evenly.. and don't pack it tooo hard. but hard enough .. and u can get around 90% of ur shite back. with a good product.

butane is not like doing and ISO wash.. were u just want the trics to come in contact with the solvent.. u gotta think of it like a GAS.. and u want it to rinse yes.. but once u get that thing loaded and sealed. it should hold pressure... if its not then ur going to have crap yields

and I was told this by a friend who jams lots of oil all year round.. and makes shatter from EVERYTHING.. said the people getting runny oil that will not harden .. are ruining there shit by burning it. to hot of water..

also. was told that fucking you will not get anywere close to the same taste or smell wen using anything but buds.. he was sayin wen he does keif or hash into bho.. he will add some buds to the batch just to add some flavor and smell to it... the only thing currently keeping me from making some of my own oil is im waiting for this glass blower to make me a custom tube .. n hopefully will get some new genetics with that tube hehe