What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HOLY SHIT! Holy Anointing Oil from Exodus.

wow, gw. this was posted over a year ago! may i update with a recipe that is restricted only by how small a drop of myrrh one can obtain?

x = honey oil
,3x = coconut oil
x/15 = cinnamon leaf oil
x/15 = cinnamon bark oil
x/30 = myrrh oil

the myrrh was reduced for a more pallateable flavour. adding an additional .1x of cinnamon flavoring gives you a lovely batch of holy shit (dubbed by gw). it reminds you of the ofld cinnamon sticks we made as kids!

it is still my preferred ingestable, even with all the new concoctions. three drops and i am good to go. one drop for low tolerance folks.

S

spliphy

very helpful

very helpful

It doesn’t fully decarb in the 200F oven because it isn’t in there long enough, but what ever temperature it reaches in the 200F oven definitely does have some decarboxylation effect. What I am saying is that it is difficult to compute how much time has been spent under the curve when it spends 10 minutes at 200F in the oven, 173 F when boiling off the alcohol, and 250F in the oil bath. Rather than try to figure it out mathematically and be wrong anyway, it is easier to watch the bubbles.

I decarboxylate my sublingual Holy Shit formula the same way.

It doesn’t work with an alcohol tincture because you can’t get an alcohol tincture to 250F without having it under pressure. I make alcohol tincture by decarboxylating the oil and then re-dissolving it in alcohol.

thanks for the graphs GW and Jump117. thanks also for the elaboration which cleared up a lot, the alcohol tincture process especially.

jd4083

Veteran
Maybe I'm super stoned, but where is bud mentioned in the verse itself? I noticed he mentioned cassia which is what most Americans call Cinnamon without realizing it...can somebody point it out? :tiphat:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe I'm super stoned, but where is bud mentioned in the verse itself? I noticed he mentioned cassia which is what most Americans call Cinnamon without realizing it...can somebody point it out? :tiphat:

Depends on which Bible translation that you have. In some Bibles it calls for Sweet Calamus instead of Fragrant Cane.

Fragrant Cane is another name for hemp and sometimes Sweet Calamus, which is a wet land perenial also known as Sweet Flag.

That argument rages on, but may I note two things?

The first is that the priests of that era were also the doctors and scientists of the time. They did not throw things as important as holy oil together casually.

My second thought is along the lines of Occum's Razor, and that given how remarkably well it works with Fragrant Cane, the odds look good to me that, that is what they were talking about.

If you are interested in more information about the debate, you might Google Holy Annointing Oil and follow the threads.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow, gw. this was posted over a year ago! may i update with a recipe that is restricted only by how small a drop of myrrh one can obtain?

x = honey oil
,3x = coconut oil
x/15 = cinnamon leaf oil
x/15 = cinnamon bark oil
x/30 = myrrh oil

the myrrh was reduced for a more pallateable flavour. adding an additional .1x of cinnamon flavoring gives you a lovely batch of holy shit (dubbed by gw). it reminds you of the ofld cinnamon sticks we made as kids!

it is still my preferred ingestable, even with all the new concoctions. three drops and i am good to go. one drop for low tolerance folks.

Good point! We cut the myrrh in half since the initial formula.

If you also add a gram of Loranne Oils cinnamon candy flavoring oil to that mix, you will have my own Holy Shit oil formula, which is what I use for my own daytime sublingual pain meds.

Trichgnomes

Well, I just made my first batch of HAO last night. I almost posted this then, but ended up just passing out.

I had some unpalatable OG kush oil that was made from flowers/green kief. As the whole flowers had and have since then, this combination auto-buddered.

This yielded me a funky green budder; the taste was akin to second run, as was the reside left on my Ti pad.

Luckily I had been wanting to try Gray Wolf's formula for a while, so this gave me a perfect excuse to experiment without using amber oil/shatter on my first go. I had just over 5 grams, so I easily halved all of the other ingredients.

I was not intending on performing a secondary extraction with ethanol (absolute) but my mason jar cracked in the pressure cooked at the start of decarboxylation. I scooped all of the now water-laden oil out of the pot, dissolved it in 20 ml of warm ethanol, filtered it, and changed my decarboxylation method to a hot oil bath on the stove in a pie plate.

Post decarb, I added the coconut oil, cinnamon bark oil, cinnamon leaf oil, and liquid myrrh gum. I gave it a stir while it was still hot, and proceeded to bottle it up. Bottles shown are each 1 US dram.

So I turned 5 grams of mediocre oil into about a dram and 1/3 of sublingual oil, or just under 5 ml.

Should last me a little bit...Thanks GW
:)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I just made my first batch of HAO last night. I almost posted this then, but ended up just passing out.

I had some unpalatable OG kush oil that was made from flowers/green kief. As the whole flowers had and have since then, this combination auto-buddered.

This yielded me a funky green budder; the taste was akin to second run, as was the reside left on my Ti pad.

Luckily I had been wanting to try Gray Wolf's formula for a while, so this gave me a perfect excuse to experiment without using amber oil/shatter on my first go. I had just over 5 grams, so I easily halved all of the other ingredients.

I was not intending on performing a secondary extraction with ethanol (absolute) but my mason jar cracked in the pressure cooked at the start of decarboxylation. I scooped all of the now water-laden oil out of the pot, dissolved it in 20 ml of warm ethanol, filtered it, and changed my decarboxylation method to a hot oil bath on the stove in a pie plate.

Post decarb, I added the coconut oil, cinnamon bark oil, cinnamon leaf oil, and liquid myrrh gum. I gave it a stir while it was still hot, and proceeded to bottle it up. Bottles shown are each 1 US dram.

So I turned 5 grams of mediocre oil into about a dram and 1/3 of sublingual oil, or just under 5 ml.

Should last me a little bit...Thanks GW
:)

Hee, hee, hee............ Bon appetite bro!!1

Nice recovery with the broken jar! After the heartbreak of four of them, I switched to either stainless ware, or Pyrex beakers in the hot oil.

How does the medicinal effect work for you and what dosage works?

GW

Trichgnomes

Hey GW,

It was hard to discern yesterday and the day before, as I vaped oil in tandem with consuming the tincture throughout the day. Also, I should note that I rarely use cannabis or its extracts for physical pain, other than migraines. More often I am using it for recreation and to ease social anxiety.

This morning however, My central and upper back were in moderate pain, probably due to a weird sleeping posture. I administered 3 drops when I woke up, and a couple more throughout the morning before I hit the vape.

I went out for a bit, (still without having vaped) and my back pain had noticeably decreased but was still apparent. I took a dab when I returned home, and at that point its medicinal effects were much more pronounced.

I realized the extreme synergy between inhaling the vapors of our favorite oleoresin while simultaneously consuming it sublingually via the Holy Anointing Oil.

I highly recommend anyone who is curious about this to give it a whirl. I did forget to get the cinnamon candy flavoring, which as others have noted would definitely improve the taste. It taste mostly "Christmasy" to me, as cliche as that sounds; as if one were to walk into a room of cinnamon scented candles (heady plant based candles, not some cheap paraffin bullshit ;) ).

However, the myrrh definitely gives it a bitter--almost astringent-- quality, which tends to linger on the palate for quite a bit.

P.S.

When you are boiling off solvent in a 250F oil bath, you get a bunch of big bubbles, tailing off to small bubbles, tailing off to a quiescent pool.

Studies that I've read suggest that the peaks that you see on Jump's graphs are at about 70 to 80% decarboxylation, after which the efforts are counter productive for maximum head effect, but well suited for sedative effects. My experience has been the same.

If I want to maximize speed with a decarboxylated mixture, I cease cooking it at 250F when the extracted oil pool is for the most part quiescent, with minor small CO2 bubbles breaking at the edge of the pool when I poke at it using a glass rod or my trusty scientific grade bamboo skewer.

I should note, during my decarboxylation process, the temperature did go a bit too high. I used safflower oil, as it was the only cooking oil I had on hand, which IIRC, has a higher boiling point than other oils. My thermometer may need to be calibrated, but it read as high as 300 F at some points!

Next time I will be more mindful to keep the temp lower, as my oil was decarboxylated to a dead quiescence in 15 or so minutes. I would have rather it tailed off with a few C02 bubbles as Gray Wolf has mentioned, but it was definitely a learning process!

Last edited:
if you liked hao oral for pain, you really should try the topical version. when i first formulated it from the scriptures, my mom's muscle cramps were completely alleviated by the topical. now, i always have it on hand.

Hey GW,

It was hard to discern yesterday and the day before, as I vaped oil in tandem with consuming the tincture throughout the day. Also, I should note that I rarely use cannabis or its extracts for physical pain, other than migraines. More often I am using it for recreation and to ease social anxiety.

This morning however, My central and upper back were in moderate pain, probably due to a weird sleeping posture. I administered 3 drops when I woke up, and a couple more throughout the morning before I hit the vape.

I went out for a bit, (still without having vaped) and my back pain had noticeably decreased but was still apparent. I took a dab when I returned home, and at that point its medicinal effects were much more pronounced.

I realized the extreme synergy between inhaling the vapors of our favorite oleoresin while simultaneously consuming it sublingually via the Holy Anointing Oil.

I highly recommend anyone who is curious about this to give it a whirl. I did forget to get the cinnamon candy flavoring, which as others have noted would definitely improve the taste. It taste mostly "Christmasy" to me, as cliche as that sounds; as if one were to walk into a room of cinnamon scented candles (heady plant based candles, not some cheap paraffin bullshit ;) ).

However, the myrrh definitely gives it a bitter--almost astringent-- quality, which tends to linger on the palate for quite a bit.

P.S.

I should note, during my decarboxylation process, the temperature did go a bit too high. I used safflower oil, as it was the only cooking oil I had on hand, which IIRC, has a higher boiling point than other oils. My thermometer may need to be calibrated, but it read as high as 300 F at some points!

Next time I will be more mindful to keep the temp lower, as my oil was decarboxylated to a dead quiescence in 15 or so minutes. I would have rather it tailed off with a few C02 bubbles as Gray Wolf has mentioned, but it was definitely a learning process!

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I had a Hebrew girlfriend once who bought anointing oil or what she called "Shabbat oil". I do remember that her beliefs were that it was only used in special ceremonies. I googled it and found this:
The Holy Anointing Oil described in Exodus 30:22-25 was created from 500 shekels (about 6kg) of myrrh, half as much (about 3kg) of fragrant cinnamon, 250 shekels (about 3kg) of fragrant cane (kanehbosm, variously translated as cannabis or calamus), 500 shekels (about 6kg) of cassia, and a hin (about 4L) of olive oil.

Since the amount of spices would clearly overwhelm the olive oil, it is thought that these measures were of the original spices that were then distilled down, by "the art of the apothecary", to essential oils. Because there is no record of how the Jews rendered oil from their spices, it is unclear as to how much oil would have made up the final mixture.

The holiness of the oil was protected by the ceremonial law, which prohibited its use in anything but the rites of the temple, on threat of banishment from among the Jewish people.

The holy anointing oil mentioned in various sacred Hebrew texts contained, among other ingredients, an herb known as kaneh-bosm (fragrant cane). Historically interpreted to mean calamus, there is some evidence that the correct interpretation of 'fragrant cane' may in fact be cannabis.

This goes along with what I remember from discussions with her.

Awesome info!

any body got the real deal hoa.(there belife ofcoarse)i f so pm me to advoid haters and ill post em up or just post em up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11lol na mean.peace lovely thread btw.the lacking of it is crazy on earth(the belife of him

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any body got the real deal hoa.(there belife ofcoarse)i f so pm me to advoid haters and ill post em up or just post em up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11lol na mean.peace lovely thread btw.the lacking of it is crazy on earth(the belife of him

Are you looking for the original recipe or oil made by the original formula?

gOurd^jr.

BUmp!

I am in the process of collecting various oils to fashion up some of this anointing oil and was hoping to get some advice from those with some experience with this sort of thing(ahem GW), as I have not. My main question is about the efficacy of this formula with olive oil in place of coconut. Gray Wolf can you by chance explain why the short chain nature of coconut oil is good for our use vs. olive oil? I would prefer the consistency of olive oil which should stay more liquid at cooler temps while the coconut solidifies at a much warmer temp. So as a primarily sublingual oil greater range of liquidity seems appealing to me. thoughts? exp?
I do also intend to make a topical only version which may include emu oil, and would prefer a more solid, salve-type consistency so am thinking coconut oil, possibly even a dab of beeswax to help prevent melting since I have 5lbs or so laying around.
For incredible coconut oil check out this source, haven't tried it yet since the 5gal pail is backordered atm...
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

I also am toying with the idea of adding Frankincense to the oil. OK im just about sold on the idea. here's why
"Frankincense has been noted as a potent immunostimulant and anti-cancer agent in a variety of scientific studies. The essential oil has been shown to stimulate lymphocyte transformation (a measure of its immune system stimulating action, as immune cells are created which fight off specific invaders in the body). It has also been shown to be tumoricidal, which means it destroys the tumors formed by cancerous cells. ...Frankincense oil is linked to the psyche, which in Greek also means "breathing". It deepens and revitalizes the breath and adds to these effects its excellent immunostimulant properties. In skin care, frankincense oil reveals its balsamic nature through its miraculous wound healing properties. Astringent and anti-inflammatory, it is traditionally used to treat scar tissue and skin ulcers, and nourishes dry and prematurely aging skin. Its anti-depressant, euphoric qualities are used in psycho-aromatherapy to treat anxiety & nervous tension."
from this page, where I am ordering CO2 extracted oils of Cinnamon, Frankincense and Myrrh. not cheap but considering the quality I think fair prices.
http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils/frankincense-essential-oil.html
Any thoughts on adding Frankincense?
Anyone care to chime in with experience making high potency infused olive oil?

Thanks so much for posting this wonderful thread!
cheers
gOurd

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Olive oil will work fine. I have made it with Almond oil during winter months.

I keep my pain topicals in a wide mouth 1/2 pint canning jar, so that its consistency isn't an issue year around, and include Emu oil in it as well.

When I make a massage oil, I include olive oil with the coconut oil, because it doesn't soak in and keeps the skin lubricious:

We make massage bars that also include Jojoba oil and we add bees wax to stiffen it. I prefer my topicals without bees wax, because of the residue it leaves on the skin.

I've never tried Frakincense. Hope you will share how it works out!

gOurd^jr.

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. So helpful!
Couple more questions though.
Everywhere I look at cinnamon oil it warns that it should be diluted to at most 1% before any topical application. It seems your recipe cinnamon is 1.4g out of ~14.5g so close to 10%? If using your topical recipe with 10g canna, 8g coconut oil then your still at least 5%...I guess if none of your patients have problems then it's maybe just fine to be a little stronger, but maybe theres a number issue? 1.4g does seem like a lot of cinnamon...that'd be over 1 ml?
I was sorta planning to weigh out the hash oil and olive, then just add a drop or two of each to taste: Cinnamon, Myrrh, Frankincense. I'll be sure to update how it goes with the Frankincense, though It'll be some time before I get it to some patients and get substantial feedback. I'll at least make the oil without Frankincense, then add it after sampling to compare. Hopefully I can find some cancer/tumor patients and see how the Frankincense version works for them.
Also regarding olive oil you mention that you use it for massage oil because it doesn't soak in. Would that mean I should stick to oral dosing with olive oil based HAO? or would it still be effective topically? Guess I'll have to try it and find out.
Last question: Since my absolute is stickier than tar in december, would you reccomend using just enough ethanol to dissolve 10g, then combining that with the other oils and driving the ethanol back off? Seems like if I heat it slowly, like in a double boiler or the like then the warm cannabis oil might mix OK without adding ethanol. It is well decarboxylated so I'm hoping to minimize heat. Seems like if I had ethanol then I've gotta heat it more to purge it again...
Thanks again Gray Wolf!
anyone else got any experience to share with us?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. So helpful!
Couple more questions though.
Everywhere I look at cinnamon oil it warns that it should be diluted to at most 1% before any topical application. It seems your recipe cinnamon is 1.4g out of ~14.5g so close to 10%? If using your topical recipe with 10g canna, 8g coconut oil then your still at least 5%...I guess if none of your patients have problems then it's maybe just fine to be a little stronger, but maybe theres a number issue? 1.4g does seem like a lot of cinnamon...that'd be over 1 ml?
I was sorta planning to weigh out the hash oil and olive, then just add a drop or two of each to taste: Cinnamon, Myrrh, Frankincense. I'll be sure to update how it goes with the Frankincense, though It'll be some time before I get it to some patients and get substantial feedback. I'll at least make the oil without Frankincense, then add it after sampling to compare. Hopefully I can find some cancer/tumor patients and see how the Frankincense version works for them.
Also regarding olive oil you mention that you use it for massage oil because it doesn't soak in. Would that mean I should stick to oral dosing with olive oil based HAO? or would it still be effective topically? Guess I'll have to try it and find out.
Last question: Since my absolute is stickier than tar in december, would you reccomend using just enough ethanol to dissolve 10g, then combining that with the other oils and driving the ethanol back off? Seems like if I heat it slowly, like in a double boiler or the like then the warm cannabis oil might mix OK without adding ethanol. It is well decarboxylated so I'm hoping to minimize heat. Seems like if I had ethanol then I've gotta heat it more to purge it again...
Thanks again Gray Wolf!
anyone else got any experience to share with us?

Good point on the 1% TLV topically! The concentration of our essential cinnamon oil extract is not 100%.

My skin is actually pretty sensitive and we are in point of fact close to the edge for ultra sensitive parts of my own body. This concentration doesn't burn my skin at any location, but repeated applications makes it more sensitive.

If you are applying the oil to those sorts of areas, you would be well advised to start with a lower concentration and find the level that best suits you.

The original Holy Anointing Oil olive oil formula works well and uses only olive oil. We use coconut oil because it seems to work better and doesn't leave residue.

Either work both orally, or topically, because the cannabinoids themselves are trans-dermal.

I mix oils directly with cannabis oil above about 180F. No alcohol required.