What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Hydroton Rising PH Problems Journal

EL1M1N80R

This is my first experience with Hydroton in a Ebb & Flow hydrophonic system.

I used the same hydroton in drip fed pots in a nursery and a top fed DWC for a mother with no problem.

The hydroton was washed throughly again and again leading me to believe it was ready to use in my Flood & Drain, boy was I wrong!

I required about 70 litres of clay pebbles for the hydrophonic system. I washed throughly in a bath and soaked a plastic tote for serval hours, rinsing and repeating for 3 to 4 days per batch.

After transferring plants from the nursery into the Ebb & Flow, preparing my nutrient solution of General Hydrophonics Flora Series @ 5ml/10L for all 3 and 5ml/10L of Shogun Silicon PH'd to 5.8, I set the system on a 15 minute flood, 3 times in an 18 hour duration.

Within a 3 hour period and after 1 flood the PH is at 7.0 in both reserviors. I reduce the PH to 5.8 and only to find a huge rise in PH back up to 7.0 after every flood. I continue to battle the PH rise over the next couple of days, having to add more and more PH down to the solution to get a drop in PH. At one point I added 10ML of PH down to move the PH by 0.1 point. Something definitely wasn't right.

After some research I discovered other people had experienced the same issues, with conflicting opinions and solutions. I phoned the shop I purchased the 'ton from only to be told to make my system run to waste, which I found completely ridiculous and extremely time consuming and costly. His alternative was a rhizo system and blaming everything from my PH pen to the silicon that his collegue suggested would stablise PH. Anyways, a common issue other users were having was the 'ton took about 3 weeks to become stable. I decided to soak in a tub with white vinegar for a 3 week period.

I used an 80 Litre storage container with a Maxijet MJ100 pump for agitation. then I went to the store and purchased several bottles of white vinegar at approx. 40 pence for 568ml. Not expensive at all, cheaper and more practical than PH down.

I recommend the MaxiJet MJ1000 pump for it's lift and it has an inlet muzzle.

In the begining I soaked the 'ton in the tub, with 25 Litres of hot water, using more water than required to 'level' the 'ton, allowing plenty free room in the water for agitation. I used an entire bottle of vinegar (568ml) in the water.

After a 24 hour soak, for changing the water I start to fill a bath with cold water. While the bath is filling I use the pump to pump the dirty water/vinegar solution into the sink. As this is happening I scoop the pebbles out the dirty tub into the clean bath water for a rinse, using an 8 inch net pot.
Once the tub is almost empty of dirty water and only small amount of pebbles are left I put the netpot in the sink and scoop out the pebbles and silt left in the base of the tub into the netpot, then rinse in the sink then and put them in the bath water. And rinse out the tub into the sink using the shower head. I'll give the tub a wipe with kitchen roll to remove any residue.
I transfer the pump to the bath and pump the bath water into the sink, while scooping the pebbles out the bath into the clean tub. Pumping the bath water allows the pebbles to be emptied from the bath without opening the plug hole and then blocking the hole with 'ton. Once the water is low and few pebbles remain, clear a space near the plug hole and use the netpot to block the drain hole filtering through the water and not the 'ton.
I then pour in the vinegar before adding the water. It took 25 litres of water to float the 'ton in my setup, yours mught be different. Use enough water so they can move around making it easier for agitation using the pump.

I fill a bath to the top and drain it to flush any silt down the plughole to avoid drainage blockage.

I then repeated the above procedure for 3 weeks, first tapering off the vinegar solution then increasing the number of days before changing out the reservior. After about a week I removed the pump for agitation and give it a stir every now and then.

I used 1 entire bottle of vinegar each change out for 4 days, then reduced to half bottles still changing daily for a couple of days. Then I was down to 125ml each change out, this may vary with volume of 'ton required for conditioning. After about 10 days I spaced the change out time to 2 days increasing up to 4 days, over the next 10 days.

For checking the PH I was going to document it, but sh!t happens. The vinegar solution would drop to the approx 3.5 range, sometimes 3.3 sometimes 3.8. What to look out for iss the size of he drift and the time taken to drift. By the end of the 3 week, it would rise after 24 hours to about 5.2. Where as in the begining, with a full bottle of vinegar it would drift over 6 PH in 24 hours.

The finak soak was going to be in a nutrient solution at 5.8 PH for 4 days straight, over a long weekend but my plans fell through and the nutrient soak only lasted 24 hours.

Returning the 'ton to the Flood and Drain system the using the intial solution desciribed at the start, the PH would drift from 5.8 and seize at 6.4. A few ml of PH down and it's back to 5.8. Much more manageable. I like to drop it to 5.5 PH and allow the drift to 6.4 for a full nutrient uptake.

After 2 weeks in the system the PH rise stops at 6.1 and can take 2 days to reach this range. Very happy now for what was begining to be a complete headache.

I do feel the Hydroton I purchased was probaly the worst type of batch you could buy. I took it as another learning curve in the trade of cultivating cannabis and use my guide as a means to alleviate and issues anyone is experiencing using this medium.

Please don't be put off using Hydroton as a medium. I picked Hydroton as a medium becuase of it's praise from experienced growers.

Attachments

• IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2849.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2866.jpg
    IMG_2866.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 30

Absolem

Plant nutrients are mainly acids. When plants eat from the nutrient solution they remove the acids/nutrients thus causing pH to rise. A good healthy recirculating system should see the pH rise and the EC decrease as plant food is depleted from the nutrient solution. pH down is phosphoric acid.

Just curious if you checked the EC along with pH?

EL1M1N80R

I never checked the EC.

The massive PH rise would occur in the space of about 3 hours.

The plants were still quite young, about 6 week old and there was nowhere near the flux in the nursery.

Dollar

Sorry to hear youre having problems. Interesting! I`ve been using hydroton for the better part of 28 years and I haven't experienced any crazy PH spikes like what you are dealing with ever. I always make sure when I initially purchase to thoroughly wash all the sediment off until the water coming out is totally clear. Usually takes several times of washing and shaking the hydroton. After that I never clean it again. Just run hygrozyme with the nutes. Been doing that for years with no issues. I hope youre not allowing that sediment to go down into your drain. I used to wash hydroton in my tub until it completely blocked my main line. Cost $300 at the time to have the plumber come out and clean out the line. Don't make the same mistake I did. Please keep us posted with your findings? Best of luck correcting the issue!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What's in your tap water? I specifically use r/o water so that 1. I can grow the cleanest cannabis possible. 2. So everything I put into the water is only what it can readily use and exactly what I put in. and 3. So that the advice I exchange with other r/o users is perfectly duplicatable in our r/o hydroponics. (fyi, there's no F in 'ponics') :tiphat:

You will not get anything like this with tap water, unless you're super duper lucky in where you live.

Potassium silicate products are not pH stabilizers... they raise pH temporarily, until the plants absorb it out of the nutrient solution.

Since you're E&F, I would imagine you don't have airstones in your res, otherwise I'd suggest reducing the number of pumps you have aerating it. Too much air causes an artificial pH rise.

Hope that helps. :)

This is my first experience with Hydroton in a Ebb & Flow hydrophonic system.

I used the same hydroton in drip fed pots in a nursery and a top fed DWC for a mother with no problem.

The hydroton was washed throughly again and again leading me to believe it was ready to use in my Flood & Drain, boy was I wrong!

I required about 70 litres of clay pebbles for the hydrophonic system. I washed throughly in a bath and soaked a plastic tote for serval hours, rinsing and repeating for 3 to 4 days per batch.

After transferring plants from the nursery into the Ebb & Flow, preparing my nutrient solution of General Hydrophonics Flora Series @ 5ml/10L for all 3 and 5ml/10L of Shogun Silicon PH'd to 5.8, I set the system on a 15 minute flood, 3 times in an 18 hour duration.

Within a 3 hour period and after 1 flood the PH is at 7.0 in both reserviors. I reduce the PH to 5.8 and only to find a huge rise in PH back up to 7.0 after every flood. I continue to battle the PH rise over the next couple of days, having to add more and more PH down to the solution to get a drop in PH. At one point I added 10ML of PH down to move the PH by 0.1 point. Something definitely wasn't right.

After some research I discovered other people had experienced the same issues, with conflicting opinions and solutions. I phoned the shop I purchased the 'ton from only to be told to make my system run to waste, which I found completely ridiculous and extremely time consuming and costly. His alternative was a rhizo system and blaming everything from my PH pen to the silicon that his collegue suggested would stablise PH. Anyways, a common issue other users were having was the 'ton took about 3 weeks to become stable. I decided to soak in a tub with white vinegar for a 3 week period.

I used an 80 Litre storage container with a Maxijet MJ100 pump for agitation. then I went to the store and purchased several bottles of white vinegar at approx. 40 pence for 568ml. Not expensive at all, cheaper and more practical than PH down.

I recommend the MaxiJet MJ1000 pump for it's lift and it has an inlet muzzle.

In the begining I soaked the 'ton in the tub, with 25 Litres of hot water, using more water than required to 'level' the 'ton, allowing plenty free room in the water for agitation. I used an entire bottle of vinegar (568ml) in the water.

After a 24 hour soak, for changing the water I start to fill a bath with cold water. While the bath is filling I use the pump to pump the dirty water/vinegar solution into the sink. As this is happening I scoop the pebbles out the dirty tub into the clean bath water for a rinse, using an 8 inch net pot.
Once the tub is almost empty of dirty water and only small amount of pebbles are left I put the netpot in the sink and scoop out the pebbles and silt left in the base of the tub into the netpot, then rinse in the sink then and put them in the bath water. And rinse out the tub into the sink using the shower head. I'll give the tub a wipe with kitchen roll to remove any residue.
I transfer the pump to the bath and pump the bath water into the sink, while scooping the pebbles out the bath into the clean tub. Pumping the bath water allows the pebbles to be emptied from the bath without opening the plug hole and then blocking the hole with 'ton. Once the water is low and few pebbles remain, clear a space near the plug hole and use the netpot to block the drain hole filtering through the water and not the 'ton.
I then pour in the vinegar before adding the water. It took 25 litres of water to float the 'ton in my setup, yours mught be different. Use enough water so they can move around making it easier for agitation using the pump.

I fill a bath to the top and drain it to flush any silt down the plughole to avoid drainage blockage.

I then repeated the above procedure for 3 weeks, first tapering off the vinegar solution then increasing the number of days before changing out the reservior. After about a week I removed the pump for agitation and give it a stir every now and then.

I used 1 entire bottle of vinegar each change out for 4 days, then reduced to half bottles still changing daily for a couple of days. Then I was down to 125ml each change out, this may vary with volume of 'ton required for conditioning. After about 10 days I spaced the change out time to 2 days increasing up to 4 days, over the next 10 days.

For checking the PH I was going to document it, but sh!t happens. The vinegar solution would drop to the approx 3.5 range, sometimes 3.3 sometimes 3.8. What to look out for iss the size of he drift and the time taken to drift. By the end of the 3 week, it would rise after 24 hours to about 5.2. Where as in the begining, with a full bottle of vinegar it would drift over 6 PH in 24 hours.

The finak soak was going to be in a nutrient solution at 5.8 PH for 4 days straight, over a long weekend but my plans fell through and the nutrient soak only lasted 24 hours.

Returning the 'ton to the Flood and Drain system the using the intial solution desciribed at the start, the PH would drift from 5.8 and seize at 6.4. A few ml of PH down and it's back to 5.8. Much more manageable. I like to drop it to 5.5 PH and allow the drift to 6.4 for a full nutrient uptake.

After 2 weeks in the system the PH rise stops at 6.1 and can take 2 days to reach this range. Very happy now for what was begining to be a complete headache.

I do feel the Hydroton I purchased was probaly the worst type of batch you could buy. I took it as another learning curve in the trade of cultivating cannabis and use my guide as a means to alleviate and issues anyone is experiencing using this medium.

Please don't be put off using Hydroton as a medium. I picked Hydroton as a medium becuase of it's praise from experienced growers.

What type of reservoir are you using? If you are bubbling your rez, that raises ph thru adding O2 creates carbonic acid creating a rise in ph. try using the fall method to add O2 to your rez.

EL1M1N80R

Everything is going great.

I encountered the problem about 6 weeks ago. Everything is going great now.

I washed the stuff numerous times before I had the PH problems. You can see from the photos the amount of sludge in the bottom. That was after, what I believed was a proper wash.

Everything is fine now.

EL1M1N80R

What's in your tap water? I specifically use r/o water so that 1. I can grow the cleanest cannabis possible. 2. So everything I put into the water is only what it can readily use and exactly what I put in. and 3. So that the advice I exchange with other r/o users is perfectly duplicatable in our r/o hydroponics. (fyi, there's no F in 'ponics') :tiphat:

You will not get anything like this with tap water, unless you're super duper lucky in where you live.

Potassium silicate products are not pH stabilizers... they raise pH temporarily, until the plants absorb it out of the nutrient solution.

Since you're E&F, I would imagine you don't have airstones in your res, otherwise I'd suggest reducing the number of pumps you have aerating it. Too much air causes an artificial pH rise.

Hope that helps. :)

40 ppm out of the tap so RO water is unnecessary.

I never had pumps in the res at the time. I only got my pump and air stones installed yesterday.

I have an airstone in the nursery reservior with no significant issue.

The problem was definitely the hydroton.

EL1M1N80R

What type of reservoir are you using? If you are bubbling your rez, that raises ph thru adding O2 creates carbonic acid creating a rise in ph. try using the fall method to add O2 to your rez.

There was no airpump installed at the time.

It was definitely the hydroton.

Everything is going great now. The PH is almost completly stable.

Kinetic

I use hydroton and have no issues. My procedure was this:

1. Dumped hydroton into a 20gal container and filled with water.
2. Agitated rocks for several minutes.
3. Dumped and filled with water a couple times.
5. Mixed a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (3 sec pour?) with water and soaked for 5 minutes while stirring because I'm OCD.
6. Drained, refilled, rinsed while agitating.
7. Attached an aluminum window screen material (lowes) to the top of container so that it dipped inwards.
5. Dumped hydroton onto screen and ran water over rocks and agitated for a short time to make sure there was no more dust.
6. Agitated rocks while blow drying for 30 minutes. You can let them dry over a few hours with the lid over them, I'm just impatient. Excess water dropped into container.
7. Ready for use.

EL1M1N80R

in continuous flow systems where the hydroton is always humid and wet, the problems with PH generally don't happen. In systems like ebb and flow or flood and drain , the hydroton is exposed to air for much longer periods and in some systems some pebbles even dry out.
Rinsing with peroxide or vinegar are really not ideal products to be using to clean and reset the CEC of Hydroton.
In hydroton systems where PH swings are becoming a problem , take a good look at everything and look for dry spots. Sealing the root zone environment to maintain high humidity in the media is standard fix.
To correctly wash and more importantly reset the CEC of hydroton or other hardened expanded clays, Bleach is the correct product. I am amazed to see people using vinegars and peroxides for this task.
I posted this in the other hydroton thread but here it is again.
Mix a solution of 90% pure water , RO or distilled preferrably and add 10% BLEACH.
Soak and rinse.
In our systems the HEC is flushed between every crop with this solution.

I did read somewhere not to use bleach because the pebbles can retain the bleach in the pores and it ends up coming out in the system.

EL1M1N80R

I use hydroton and have no issues. My procedure was this:

1. Dumped hydroton into a 20gal container and filled with water.
2. Agitated rocks for several minutes.
3. Dumped and filled with water a couple times.
5. Mixed a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (3 sec pour?) with water and soaked for 5 minutes while stirring because I'm OCD.
6. Drained, refilled, rinsed while agitating.
7. Attached an aluminum window screen material (lowes) to the top of container so that it dipped inwards.
5. Dumped hydroton onto screen and ran water over rocks and agitated for a short time to make sure there was no more dust.
6. Agitated rocks while blow drying for 30 minutes. You can let them dry over a few hours with the lid over them, I'm just impatient. Excess water dropped into container.
7. Ready for use.

I am OCD too and what I thought was a thorough rise, over a 3 day period I still ran into massive swings.

The photos in the post with all the silt was after 3 days of cleaning and soaking prior to a vinegar bath.

Absolem

Super easy way to rinse hydroton. Take a five gallon bucket and drill a bunch of holes around the bottom edge. Put the hydroton in the bucket and rinse away. The debris washes out the bottom and the water doesn't overflow the hydroton over the top edge. I would rinse mine first, then soak in bleach for 24hr, then soak in RO water for 24hr, then one more good rinse in the five gallon bucket. 20 gallon Rubbermaid works great for rinsing too if you have a lot to clean.

Andyo

Veteran
lol weed makes them deaf

lol weed makes them deaf

in continuous flow systems where the hydroton is always humid and wet, the problems with PH generally don't happen. In systems like ebb and flow or flood and drain , the hydroton is exposed to air for much longer periods and in some systems some pebbles even dry out.
Rinsing with peroxide or vinegar are really not ideal products to be using to clean and reset the CEC of Hydroton.
In hydroton systems where PH swings are becoming a problem , take a good look at everything and look for dry spots. Sealing the root zone environment to maintain high humidity in the media is standard fix.
To correctly wash and more importantly reset the CEC of hydroton or other hardened expanded clays, Bleach is the correct product. I am amazed to see people using vinegars and peroxides for this task.
I posted this in the other hydroton thread but here it is again.
Mix a solution of 90% pure water , RO or distilled preferrably and add 10% BLEACH.
Soak and rinse.
In our systems the HEC is flushed between every crop with this solution.

Its exactly as you say.
Plus nutes formulated for hydroton which i have formulated 20 yrs ago and use till this day.

Also certain nutes will add to this as they use up nitrogen
N03 / NH4
Ca(NO3)2 = calcium nitrate will raise ph as nitrogen used
NH4NO3 = ammonium nitrate will lower ph as nitrogen used

So best is rain or RO water with a nutrient formula calculated to buffer ph rise via NH4NO3

need measure ph last few drips run off from hydroton at 1 hr and 2 hr after flood/drain.

in grow it runs 5.8 to 6.2 over 5 days 250 ltrs under 1000w
in bloom its reverse 6.2 to 5.8 over 5 days.A

Andyo

Veteran
I know you know
Bleach is not going to hurt your system in trace amounts and in fact would be beneficial in some aspects. It is a bit of a given that after the soak and flush in the 10% bleach solution , one follows up with clean fresh water. Using this method does more than just clean the hydroton. More importantly it resets the cation exchange capacity. Which is the whole reason for using a product like hydroton as a grow media. Try it and watch your plants excell.

10% bleach solution ?
Assuming sodium hypochlorite how much in say 100 litres to make a 10% solution