What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Peruvian Kotosh Purpura

Obsidian

Veteran
Peruvian Landrace: Kotosh Purpura

I have been going to Peru since 1994 after I met Guillermo Arevalo through one of my teachers, Mark Plotkin. This was before Guillermo became known as Ketsenbetsa, and played the Shaman in the film "Blueberry"
I started drinking ayahuasca with him and his wives in Sept 94 and continued to work with him till 2005.
In 2007 my Bro, Friend, Teacher, and Shaman Peter Gorman, writer of "Drug War Follies" in Skunk Mag introduced me to the family he has worked and studied Ayahuasca and plant healing with since the late 1980's.
Peter's story is one everyone should read in his book "Ayahuasca in my Blood"

It's during this time between 2007 - present that I spent several years looking for weed in the Lima, Cuzco, Iquitos, Trujillo, and Chavin regions while working with many of Peru's Ayahuasca, and Huachuma Curanderos.
What cannabis I did find was brown compost most of the time, and occasionalyl I'd get smoked out on something nice.

It wasn't until 2013 while journeying on the riverbaot Sophie downriver on the Ucayali that I smelled that scent/taste I've only encountered 4-5 times in my life. I was like a bloodhound sniffing out the weed, and I found it with a young Hassidic Jewish Man, named Abram.
We talked, he rolled and passed me some of the finest tasting, most psychedelic cannabis I've tasted in my 45+yrs of puffing.
He told me they grew "Mono Rojo" and he was going home to Ankash after delivering their latest shipment to Iquitos, where I had boarded earlier that afternoon.
That night he invited me to celebrate some ritual, and afterwards we puffed all night long. I just kept getting higher and higher, I was tripping like I was on Aya, DMT, L, and Boomers all at the ame time, the spirits of the forest were showing themselves to my third eye, ribbons, and patterns were superimposed over my vision. I was home in the Jungle.
17hrs later in Puerto G***** where I disembarked, abram gave me a large roll of newspaper. I could smell the fine scent of Connoisseur Cannabis.
What he gave me I found out today was only what the growers smoke and grow for themselves. This is not Cannabis sold on the market or to anyone they do not know.
He said it comes from Peru, and has been grown here by them for over 50yrs, they brought the seed with them when they settled in Peru. He said he does not know where the seed originates(this is where I hope Sam's DNA project can fill us in).

Here's the fun stuff.
I started 8 seeds in June 13th or so 2015
I left on an overseas journey throughout Asia buying gemstones in July, and my wife did not care for the plants at all, they were in 1gal pots in Moonshine mix(search ICMAG).
My boy watered them when he said he saw them getting burnt by this summers Southern Oregon heat wave.
I came home to extremely tall, not stretchy, decent spaced internodeds, thin leafed sativas, and 5 males starting to show already on day 60-75 from seed. Females did not show till day 90-100 from seed.
I was surprised by the christmas tree shapes nice looking mexi type columbian type like I grew in the 70's
I planted these into 20something smart pots I had from Colorado filled them with moonshine mix, bat and bird guano, and fed them with nectar of the gods till Sept 15th when I started flushing a tad early, but as I watch them now I think they have just enough trace nutes to finninsh up by Jan 2016

3 distinct phenos showing from the sample of 8 seeds started
scents range from fruity berry on the thicker tighter noded green leaf, and typical comersh scent on the other green tight noded pheno.
the third is clove, frankincense, and something else I can't place a name to yet. I'm guessing March before first samples will be ready for tasting.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Obsidian

Veteran
I'm hoping for something unique.
Today I was examining the bud structure and noticed someting interesting, one of the plants exhibits little to no stigma(hairs), there are lots of calyxes with very little to no oil glans.

edit: the no stigma smells of mersh
the hairy one smells of fruity berries

picture.php

picture.php

This is what mono rojo is named for
the hairy structure

picture.php

picture.php

the Purple Red
named for the region where this Cannabis is grown

picture.php

Last edited:

Obsidian

Veteran
Gorgeous plants! They look so wild and unworked. I'm subbed.
Don't they though. I have another 38 seeds. Hoping for more variation 2016.
They already exhibit their own specific traits.

I hope you are preserving this line. Keep up posted. Peace
Yes, this is a ongoing project. I have dozens of clones from each of the females, and the 5 males were culled.
I will make seed in 2016, not sure about crosses yet, want to keep this line pure as possible. You never know what may happen this next year.

Croissant

thanks for exploring and doing preservation work with the line. Hopefully it gets to a point you feel satisfied in sharing your work with other enthusiasts!

LostTribe

Premium user
Don't they though. I have another 38 seeds. Hoping for more variation 2016.
They already exhibit their own specific traits.

Yes, this is a ongoing project. I have dozens of clones from each of the females, and the 5 males were culled.
I will make seed in 2016, not sure about crosses yet, want to keep this line pure as possible. You never know what may happen this next year.

If you want to keep the lines pure why did you cull the males?

I also frequent the land of the Inca and plan to send back beans next visit was too noid last trip to mess with serpost.

I too have enjoyed the mono rojo, el skan y la maldita....always sativa and always a great head.

Quidate ciao!

LT

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Good luck with them and the next reproduction Obsidian, thanks for the informations!

I find them a resemblance with South Africans... (austronesian roots?)

Obsidian

Veteran
If you want to keep the lines pure why did you cull the males?

I also frequent the land of the Inca and plan to send back beans next visit was too noid last trip to mess with serpost.

I too have enjoyed the mono rojo, el skan y la maldita....always sativa and always a great head.

Quidate ciao!

LT

I'm not producing seed now, next season I'm planting more seeds, and will continue my work.
Thing is, I can only grow 16 legal plants with our 12 OMMP and 4 Recreational
Choice and space is limited as to what we grow.

I've puffed all that in Peru over the last 20+ yrs, and I'm not impressed with any of the herb, and this is easily 100x better than any street weed in sold in Peru. It ranks with the top 3 I've encountered in the last 40+yrs of consuming cannabis.

I was at the right place the right time. Chulachaki gave me a gift and it materialized.

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
I'm not producing seed now, next season I'm planting more seeds, and will continue my work.
Thing is, I can only grow 16 legal plants with our 12 OMMP and 4 Recreational
Choice and space is limited as to what we grow.

I've puffed all that in Peru over the last 20+ yrs, and I'm not impressed with any of the herb, and this is easily 100x better than any street weed in sold in Peru. It ranks with the top 3 I've encountered in the last 40+yrs of consuming cannabis.

I was at the right place the right time. Chulachaki gave me a gift and it materialized.

Subbed can't wait to see more on this!

LostTribe

Premium user
any updates on the Kotosh purpura? Those tall standing trichomes probably smell wonderfully exotic!

Obsidian

Veteran
any updates on the Kotosh purpura? Those tall standing trichomes probably smell wonderfully exotic!

Hola Lost Tribe!
yep, today I cut the purple color pheno, I woke up with this intense feeling of "cut me" so I went out took pics comuned for a bit, burnt some sage, then pulled he up by the roots, washed the root ball and now she is hanging here in my lapidary shop next to me while I write this post.

she just quit growing, squeezed out all she could. during the last 5 days she produced few if any stigma/pistils or caylexs. all growth has stopped as of last week, the oil glans are extremely white/grey blue with what I could find a dozen turning red orange.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

a few observations
the plants are 6months 1 week old as of Dec 22 2015
started from seed very late in the season on june 15th 2015 or so
our first serious freeze and cold streak started Nov 23rd 2015

my temps have been at 68f highs and 49f - 56f lows in the mini hoop outside. I think this might be a factor in the purple pheno's fluffy development. she's definately not tight, but more delicate in structure than most nugs I've grown indoor since 1980 and outdoors since 1974.

I'm thinking if temps were warmer she may have grown a bit larger and maybe thicker, not sure don't know

will find out next season 2016...stay tuned

plans are to grow out several clones, make pure seed from all 3 phenos with however many males germ from the next batch of seeds I start next season go from there, make new strains etc...not sure yet., that's just a few months away here in Oregon.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Veteran
here's the other 2 pheno's

these 2 are still squeezing out flesh, I'm thinking Feb 1st 2016...let's see.

for ease, I call them the long hair and short hair pheno's

Long hair

picture.php

Short Hair

picture.php

All 3 pheno's in one last pic before I pulled the purple pheno

picture.php

Obsidian

Veteran
oh oh....fucking snow today...mini hoop is starting to collapse, not ready for this type of weight on the mini hoop.

I think the Amazonian experiment may end. been out since 3am every 20min knocking off the build up.

good vibes people good vibes
peace

Interesting plants and story! Sucks about the snow...

Can't wait to hear a smoke report on the purple one you cut.

Show us some legerdemain art :):)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would offer my services as a free snow remover but the commute would kill me ;)

Very interesting thread, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

Stoked to see how this goes.

Cheers

Obsidian

Veteran
after a few hrs of snow removal i realized I had 80 feet of pipe warming cable used to keep your home water pipe thawed in a big freeze.
I was flipping homes in CO redesigning homes with grow rooms and re-selling them back in CO for immense profits. I always used pipe heating cables on the water pipes in the walls of the grow rooms that were exposed to the outsode for extra insurance against freezing.

Let's just say there is great opportunity for someone if they have worked in the construction industry as a supervisor and knows how to build homes from start to finish. Big money $$$.

I draped the cable over the top of the mini, S fashion from the ground, over and over side to side, it melted the snow, plus added a bit more warmth.

saved the girls

yay!

Diego_

Thanks for sharing. I'm a newbie from Perú and are extremely interested in local landraces, like the one you described/shared.