What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hahah Tangwena go easy on those! :yummy:

Tycho didn't you get a cigar rolling machine to try with cobs? did you try it?

Yes. I got a Lieberman Machine. I found an old guy who made them. I paid $800 for it and it broke halfway through the first cob :(

I can get it fixed And beefed up but I haven't gotten around to it. I see you can get wooden ones online now.

Tangwena

Veteran
The Cobs are aged for 1 month now
Looking good my friend wish I could taste them.
Looking at Aces web site those where one of the new releases that caught my eye.
If there are any that should be euphoric those are the ones.

I find with delicate sativa buds you can get better results from a shorter sweat it gives a more colorful terpy smelling result.
How are finding yours? Have you tried any yet?

The Malawi x Ethiopia regulars I have are magic the high takes you right out of this world I put it on par with the best GT only more energy.

I would love to hear the smoke report or chew report if you want to go down that rabbit hole ha ha.
I love tripping on cob chewed. Its how a cannabis high should be IMO.

I smoked some Panama x Purple haze cob yesterday while I was waiting on the chewing effects to come on.

It was good but not strong enough but the taste and smell was superb.
For some reason the chewed cob didn't hit me much after smoking the pin joint something for me to think about.

Tangwena

Veteran
Master Wu Gui said: There are no accidents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q04LPj99ZPc

Tangwena, I think of you as Master Wu Gui of cobbing and all of us are kind of Cannabis Panda, I hope you dont mind the master thing, but you are certainly teaching many of us a thing or two about cobbing and cannabis

Not many people alive today that tried the old moroccan zero zero or the lebanese pre 83.
Did you try the jet black afghani? I am sure there had to be in London at that time. Anyone who has tried it can understand that the stuff being sold today as afghan and what was afghan pre 79' are two different things

In some pictures I see the nylon bag with in which the cob was pressed is getting dyed with some brown colouring after some time. I agree with you on vaccuum the oil dont escape.
Is this dyed colour on the nylon part of the oil/nectar being lost and unrecovered?
Wrapping the cob on a piece of cloth would solve the problem and you could recover every single oil drop

Tycho, I tried fermenting on glass. I used this prepara jar, which is bigger than a tube. The lid applies pressure and keeps it tight, but not enough: https://prepara.com/collections/evak-storage/products/evak-mini
The problem I found is you cannot smash and keep the material pressed on glass. The result was much better without using glass.
The trick seems to smash trichome against trichome very tightly. The nylon vaccuum bag is perfect for that
I like the idea of using glass, the problem I couldnt solve yet is how to keep the material pressed very tightly without breaking the glass.
A moldable, malleable material like a cloth, nylon or corn husk has worked better for my fermenting than a hard material like glass
Hi my friend yes we could get Afgani, nepalese and pakistani hash as well I found it too narcotic mostly but still very nice smoke deep and seductive but I was not much good for anything afterwards ha ha.

With the cobs straight in the plastic bag with no maize wrapper we call them canary style buds because you can see the changes as they occur.
After the canaries the coal miners used to have to warn them of dangerous gases in the coal mine in the old days.
A friend of mine cures whole branches and colas in clear vacuumed plastic bags and gets fantastic looking buds cured this way.

The staining is an amber liquid that sometimes oozes out of wetter cobs.
I dont know what it is. I have collected it and eaten it. But it has no effect or taste that I can find.
It appears to be like a tannin or juice but is not active.

Tangwena

Veteran
Outdoor in a scrog, that is a lovely thing. I wish I had thought of that back before I moved the garden inside, what an incredible set up.
:tiphat:
Its very dangerous growing outside where I live but I have a balcony thats not overlooked in one very small section so I can manage one small plant there in the autumn sun.

If I planted in the summer it would turn into the the hanging gardens of babylon by the end of summer haha.

Our autumn and early winter are sunny so its perfect for a little stealth grow.

Drunken Buddha

As Stardog says, it's Nevil x the world in his house. I received some of his sour nevil seeds via Greyydog, a mutual friend, 6-7 years ago.

Last year I made my favorite cob from it and now that it is approximately 9 months in the vac bag, it's time to deliver that baby. Push hard.....breathe......

Oh, shit...it's mind-boggling cob.....going back to Alice.......help me, help me,......I've fallen into the rabbit hole and I can't get out.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Sounds awesome brother I love it when she calls must be nectar of the gods my friend.
Pics or it didn't happen ha ha............ just kidding you I believe.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Yes. I got a Lieberman Machine. I found an old guy who made them. I paid $800 for it and it broke halfway through the first cob :(

I can get it fixed And beefed up but I haven't gotten around to it. I see you can get wooden ones online now.

If you are not particular about the shape of a cob produced, then cylindrical or even cube-shaped cobs can be made with the Jack Puck Press, whose picture I am attaching here.

A far cheaper alternative to the Jack Puck Press would be a DIY version made with a car jack, such as the one I had made at a local machine shop, which produces really beautiful cobs as shown in the second picture that I did post in this forum a while back.

Attachments

• Jack Puck Press.jpg
    Jack Puck Press.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Tangmanian Devil Cob Works.jpg
    Tangmanian Devil Cob Works.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 23

Tangwena

Veteran
Very nice brother what do they look like now with a bit of aging?
The aged cobs may not look as colorful but to me they are where its at like us the older they get the better ha ha.
Speaking for myself that is I get younger by the day soon I will be a baby ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
If you are not particular about the shape of a cob produced, then cylindrical or even cube-shaped cobs can be made with the Jack Puck Press, whose picture I am attaching here.

A far cheaper alternative to the Jack Puck Press would be a DIY version made with a car jack, such as the one I had made at a local machine shop, which produces really beautiful cobs as shown in the second picture that I did post in this forum a while back.
Hi my friend long time no see hope everything is cool in your world.
Have you got any pics of aged pucks they look awesome thanks for posting.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Here's something on corn wrapped hash.

A historical note from: The Valley of Kashmir.

I found this interesting.
"I had always understood that ganja could not be obtained from the female plant after impregnation, but the female plant in Kashmir is impregnated and the hemp seeds yield an oil which, like charras, is used for intoxicating purposes."

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8616395&postcount=578
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Here's something on corn wrapped hash.

A historical note from: The Valley of Kashmir.

I found this interesting.
"I had always understood that ganja could not be obtained from the female plant after impregnation, but the female plant in Kashmir is impregnated and the hemp seeds yield an oil which, like charras, is used for intoxicating purposes."

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8616395&postcount=578
View Image
Thats what I'm talking about when I say hash needs curing and aging just the same as buds.
Awesome post man that hash looks like it would be unreal smoked.
I had aged hash in the 70's and the high was very cerebral not stony at all.
I would give anything for high quality hash like that.
Lots of old wisdom has been bypassed in this modern day green fresh resin rush.
Nice post brother.

Tangwena

Veteran
Purple Honduras x Panama

Purple Honduras x Panama

I just harvested the plant at 11 weeks I had to I swear.
I'm leaving for safari next week and I want these buds dried and cobbed before I leave they are too good to fuck up by rushing them.
The last 2 pics are 3 day dried tester buds getting sealed up as canary buds and sweated as I speak magic is happening I can feel it.
Though it might be the smell as well to quote Dubi "I'm happy as a kid in a sweet shop".
But that has a lot to do with the 2016 vintage GT cob I'm chewing.
Strewth its good.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hi my friend long time no see hope everything is cool in your world.
Have you got any pics of aged pucks they look awesome thanks for posting.

Hello again Tanwena. I consumed those first pucks before they had time to age properly, but they were nonetheless far tastier and potent in comparison to weed dried and cured in the traditional way.

Finally got another garden going with some Ace beans - Zamal, Golden Tiger and Malawi x Purple Haze, this time located in a hidden-in-plain-sight swamp location that I wade out to reach, without the need to launch the HMS Atlantis for the voyage.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well, and hoping to start a grow journal when the plants begin to fill out. Had to flee the site yesterday when wasps emerged from the undergrowth around a sapling that I cut down to let in more light, and I never knew it was possible to run so fast through waist deep water ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
picture.php
picture.php
They have melted into a smooth, glossy surface without the many colors. .01 you say? Haha.....it will trip you out. .05, well, call the ambulance.

View Image
Thats beautiful brother its so important to show how age changes both the appearance and effects.
5 star cob my friend.
Love the crystallisation and the way everything has melted together they dont come much better IMO no wonder the dose is so low I can believe it ha ha.
I would love to try it you well and truly hit the nail on the head there.

Pics show before and after aging thats the kind of result your after my friends.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hello again Tanwena. I consumed those first pucks before they had time to age properly, but they were nonetheless far tastier and potent in comparison to weed dried and cured in the traditional way.

Finally got another garden going with some Ace beans - Zamal, Golden Tiger and Malawi x Purple Haze, this time located in a hidden-in-plain-sight swamp location that I wade out to reach, without the need to launch the HMS Atlantis for the voyage.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well, and hoping to start a grow journal when the plants begin to fill out. Had to flee the site yesterday when wasps emerged from the undergrowth around a sapling that I cut down to let in more light, and I never knew it was possible to run so fast through waist deep water ha ha.
Tut tut you have to learn to share brother (pics) ha ha.
You have some hell strong seeds to grow the best of luck with your grow.
I take it there are no gators in your swamp.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
No gators thankfully, and to get one of the pygmy crocs that live here to bite, I'd probably have to hold it still with one hand, and jam the other hand in its mouth. The leeches are another matter though, so thank goodness for chest-high waders. Have waders will travel.

I really am looking forward to this harvest, and my purchase from Ace was inspired by several of the hilarious potency reports that you wrote in this thread. Rabbit hole, here I come ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
No gators thankfully, and to get one of the pygmy crocs that live here to bite, I'd probably have to hold it still with one hand, and jam the other hand in its mouth. The leeches are another matter though, so thank goodness for chest-high waders. Have waders will travel.

I really am looking forward to this harvest, and my purchase from Ace was inspired by several of the hilarious potency reports that you wrote in this thread. Rabbit hole, here I come ha ha.
Oh yeah cure it right and your going to see Alice for sure brother.
I am watching the Purple Honduras buds dry naturally in the shade.
Taking out the pop corn buds as they reach critical stage and putting them in a card board box to slow down drying.
The fat buds are so dense they may take 2 or 3 days even in our dry climate before they get just right.

I want to try a drier buds on a shorter sweat to get the really terpy sweet sticky cobs that Panama and her hybrids produce.

Its real 5 star produce once cured this way.
Though the same goes for all Aces strains the ones your growing will all be eppic I am sure.
My Panama x Purple haze cobs will be a couple of months old soon and will get a good road test on my holiday ha ha or should I say boat test as thats what I will be doing mostly.