What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Earlmarne

Conception Nurseries, a Leading Cannabis Micropropagation Company, Comes out of Quiet Production and Launches Publicly Today
January 16, 2019 09:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
PORTLAND, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Conception Nurseries, a cannabis micropropagation company that has been quietly developing cannabis tissue culture clones for nearly two years, is now launching publicly. Conception is bringing tissue culture technology, a crucial component of industrial scale agriculture, to the cannabis industry. With tissue culture micropropagation, Conception produces plantlets that are free of pathogens and have exceptional vigor, at a cost-per-plant below producers' in-house costs.

Conception is led by Chief Executive Officer Kevin Brooks. Kevin most recently served as the CEO of Connected Cannabis, the largest vertically integrated cannabis company in California. Before entering the cannabis industry, Kevin spent 15 years as an executive in Silicon Valley supporting companies through multiple successful exits.

In partnership with both Phylos, the leading cannabis agricultural genomics company, and CropOne, the largest and highest yielding vertical agriculture company, Conception provides cultivators with next-generation, targeted cannabis varieties customized for the needs of consumers and cultivators.

Through its partnership with Phylos, Conception’s tissue culture clones will each be genetically tested and registered with Phylos. A unique genetic ID is assigned to each plant tested, and includes a report revealing identical clone matches and how they’re related to varieties around the world.

Through its technology partnership with CropOne, Conception will use the world’s leading controlled-environment agriculture platform and plantlet development technology to ensure plantlets are pathogen free as well as consistent, vigorous growers.

Conception will be launching its Series A funding and facility rollout plans.

About Conception:

Conception is bringing tissue culture technology, a crucial component of industrial scale agriculture, to the cannabis industry. With tissue culture "micropropagation," Conception produces plantlets that are free of pathogens and have exceptional vigor, at a cost-per-plant below producers' in-house costs. Conception is a partnership between Phylos and CropOne.

About Phylos:

Phylos is the world’s leading provider of cannabis genomics. Using modern molecular genetics and computational biology, Phylos is driving the development and improvement of hemp and drug varieties for optimal performance across diverse agricultural environments. Our world-class team supports research and development, breeding partnerships with global partners, and cultivation businesses worldwide with a comprehensive suite of genetic testing solutions.
Riot just posted this on instagram.
This is a freakin trip.
Am I understanding they are selling tissue cultures now? After they got everyone’s genetics , they are selling them?

Limeygreen

Veteran
Doubtful, they got a lot of dead tissue dna to test as well, to me it looks like they are using phylos to fingerprint their varieties so that they are able to trade mark them and make royalties off the plants, not just anything in the public domain.

zif

Veteran
Resurrecting plants from sequenced DNA is science fiction, at the moment. Yes, you can insert a gene or two, but that's it. Doing any more than that would be insanely expensive. (And you're not using a gene gun, which would be like trying to copy the mona lisa with a shotgun. Possible, but how many lifetimes of the universe are you willing to devote to it?)

Phylos knows who has the 'real' cuts. They're going to make some industry folks very good offers for whatever starting genetics they want - not build them in the lab at a bare minimum 100s or 1000s of times the cost.

They're also going to do their own selective breeding work and/or offer very good money for exclusive rights to obtain the unique genetics they want, because you don't build a public library of proof of what's in the public domain, only to go and copy the public domain.

Even if they weren't publishing the sequences, it would be stupid to use any genetics they knew were public, because anyone with the resources could show they were full of it. And that would, again, not make them any money.

If we assume they're in it for the money, the conspiracy theories just don't make sense.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting points zif.

Novel plants can't be found until the known old cultivars are fully exposed.

It makes me wonder about NOVEL genetics that are not being traded or sold.

djonkoman

Veteran
Resurrecting plants from sequenced DNA is science fiction, at the moment.
exactly this.

for dna-isolation, you don't need that much material, and you destroy your sample in the process(actually did a dna-isolation this afternoon, not for weed though, although my sample was a weedplant once, but the goal is finding fungus-dna). this is what phylos has been doing for a while. they probably have plans to make money off of that nice databae they collected, but not the way this conspiracy theory is suggesting, just the data itself is already valuable without being possible to get live plants out of it.

for tissue culture, you need more material than if you just isolated some dna to sequence. and if you're using material from a plant that isn't grown under sterile conditions, it's likely you'll lose some to infection from micro-organisms on and inside the leaf(or other material, if you're using something else, but I've only done tissue culture a few times with squares of tobacco-leaves from tobaccoplants cultured in sterile conditions exactly for that purpose). so to be safe I'd say you need at least one full leaf to be sure you can get a plant out of it. and dead material won't do.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
^Bingo

They're not frankenstein-ing plants. I bet you when Conception Nurseries gets a client, they say, 'What strains would you like to grow?' and the client says 'these'. They go over to Phylos and ask 'Do these have viruses or an abnormal amount of line elements/defects?' and they say 'No, no, no, yes, no.' 'Can I scrub it? 'Maybe' 'Cool'.
Then conception goes back to the client and says 'Let's start tissue culturing the fuck out of these 4 but not this one'

I just spent my afternoon reading the 37 pages here and it's astounding how few people in the thread seem to really grasp why Sam is asking for the oldest possible seeds (but still throw him under the bus.) Like, maybe 5 people in the whole thing get SNP's and their importance to a 3D Phylos model. Those are the answers that can really tell us about origins of cannabis. Wish I had anything worth a damn to catalog.

The paper that Chimera posts on page ten has 14,031 SNP's- that's what this is all about. Friggin' cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts