What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation Experiment on NYCD

DJXX

Veteran
sweet girls hempfield...got this one tagged...i scored a cut of nycd and can't wait to run it...be peeking at yours fosho...dj

DrFever

Veteran
How is it going hempy ?? has the slowed growth from the defoilating showed a difference from the non ??? or could different strains react differently to possible stress from removal of foilage ????

Here is a few pics when i did pretty much like you took few plants a stripped them and trimmed bud difference between the two was pretty noticeable least for my strain removal of leafs showed no promise hope it might be different for you
Either way i found leaving leafs on was key to good harvest
Even tho mine still budded all plants will if stripped ,,, like a mother protecting her young . A mj plant will do all it can to produce seed anyways
I found a huge difference in finished yield or could different strains react differently to possible stress from removal of foilage fist pic was from non touched plant second pic was from defoilating buds never seemed to really join together the buds on floor left side was defoiled right side not touched

Attachments

• DSCF4499.jpg
    DSCF4499.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF4501.jpg
    DSCF4501.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF4479.jpg
    DSCF4479.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF4431.jpg
    DSCF4431.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF4491.jpg
    DSCF4491.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF4494.jpg
    DSCF4494.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 35

Pop A Molly

yo Hempfield i hope you won't mind, thought i would share my experience with defoliation too, i'm at the same day as flowering as you do. day 25 in generall. Girls looking good IMO.
before defoliation
picture.php

after defoliation
picture.php

it's my first grow tho so i wouldn't know which way is better for your plants, but i'm open minded to try all those techniqes and keep on learnin'.
keep the good work up , love this thread!

to anyone who was wondering the strain i'm growing is Flowerbomb Kush :rasta:

Last edited:

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Last nigh was feeding day for my plants so I took the opportunity to take more pictures of them.

It's a side by side grow, so let's show the plants ... side by side. I grouped them based on height in 3 groups : "The shortest","The Average" and "The tallest" .

The sortest

The Average

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Yes, they are 0.5~1" shorter than the non-defoliated, but it seems the flowering process is a little bit advanced some how. If you look at them from above the flowers of the defoliated plants seems wider. At a close look the pistils from the non-defoliated plants appear shorter and thinner.

It's to early to tell if the defoliation was beneficial for this plants. The lower branches however started to fill up on those that have been striped off.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
This thread is looking better already, but I guess we should wait for the results to draw conclusions. Keep up the good work.

Daub Marley

Man I've been waiting for someone to do this. Unfortunately this experiment is useless. When you defoliate a plant it sends signals through volatile molecules that will cause other plants nearby to react. When you put them in the same room the defoliated plant is taking all the stress and the non-defoliated plant is getting no stress with additional hormonal reactions due to the defoliated plant being nearby. Your control here in this experiment is flawed, and you will get useless data because of it. Nevertheless this type of experiment is interesting and I commend your efforts up to this point.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Everything must start from somewhere, and this test will be better than no test, IMHO.

komboloi

When you defoliate a plant it sends signals through volatile molecules that will cause other plants nearby to react. When you put them in the same room the defoliated plant is taking all the stress and the non-defoliated plant is getting no stress with additional hormonal reactions due to the defoliated plant being nearby.

Sorry, but I think this is malarkey, brought to you by the same people who assert that plants respond to soothing music. Long-running myths with no scientific basis.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Actually, that has been proven. You can read "The Secret Life of Plants" for more info on the matter, as discussing it here it's kinda offtopic. There is also a documentary with same name where they test it on plants showing they are more aware of their surroundings than we think. The myth is the one that says we are the only intelligent organisms on Earth.

Daub Marley

Everything must start from somewhere, and this test will be better than no test, IMHO.
Not really because it can give you information that could be misleading or flat out wrong.
Sorry, but I think this is malarkey, brought to you by the same people who assert that plants respond to soothing music. Long-running myths with no scientific basis.
Plants absolutely DO communicate with each other and that is scientific fact. They can do so both through their roots and through the exchange of gaseous molecules.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Man I've been waiting for someone to do this. Unfortunately this experiment is useless. When you defoliate a plant it sends signals through volatile molecules that will cause other plants nearby to react. When you put them in the same room the defoliated plant is taking all the stress and the non-defoliated plant is getting no stress with additional hormonal reactions due to the defoliated plant being nearby. Your control here in this experiment is flawed, and you will get useless data because of it. Nevertheless this type of experiment is interesting and I commend your efforts up to this point.
We don't know how and if cannabis reacts to defoliating. Many plants require a permanent low-level stress, like caterpillars or grasshoppers chewing on the leaves. There's no point in reacting against a cow which simply swallows the whole plant and that's it. You see my point?
Sure, the experiment from a scientific point of view is flawed but that doesn't mean the result will be trash.
Furthermore, there's quite some time until harvest and even if the defoliated plants burst from VOCs during some days following defoliating this effect won't (can't) make the big difference in the end.

Anyway, I think it's a nice and interesting experiment and worth the effort although I'm one of those who thinks (= doesn't know for sure) that defoliating can't be good... I'm very curious about the end result!

Daub Marley

There's no point in reacting against a cow which simply swallows the whole plant and that's it. You see my point?
I fell like you're rationalizing this from a plants perspective, but I understand your point. I disagree because cannabis naturally grows in stands, so if a cow eats one plant then the whole stand becomes more defensive and has a much better chance of survival.
Sure, the experiment from a scientific point of view is flawed but that doesn't mean the result will be trash.
This experiment is completely qualitative which is bad enough, but any observations that you could make aren't even reliable. The basis of the experiment is that OP assumes he can visibly tell the difference between his control and the defoliated plant. So if the control is not really a control then what is the point of the experiment? You have to throw out the baby with the bath water on this one.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran

HOW THE FUCK CAN FOLKS ASK FOR A SIDE BY SIDE IF ALLS ANYONE IS GONNA DO IS KNOCK IT DOWN

thats not progress
thats politics!!!!!

and.... this is why I don't care what the fuck happens

theres always gonna be "some flaw" that makes the "experiment" void to someone... look, because they are not a scientist in a lab in a university with government funding all results posted and discussed are flawed and useless. FUCK THAT

testing in your own environment will lead you to your own results... your own results are the ones that matter, not Timmy's or Billy's or Bobby's...

don't be an armchair quarterback
thats like getting into an argument with someone and going home talking to yourself about what you should've done instead of just acting out and handling shit.
be a player

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Seriously. Daub, and anyone else who wishes to derail this thread, could you please go start a Super Duper Defoliation Argue Thread about it that will eventually get closed like all the others? Thank you.

Hempfield, on with the show!! :D