What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A running conversation wiith Sunpulse

Y

YosemiteSam

Even though it is settled I tried them to and add me to the never again category and they can shove their science up their ass.

Turns out I too am a 2 HPS and 1 MH kinda guy. I think you can tell the difference in quality.

krunch didn't your digilux do the same thing? Seems like i remember a thread on it a while back.

Here ya go homie...My 600w digi MH

picture.php

picture.php

Here ya go homie...My 600w digi MH

picture.php

picture.php

Holy shit...I run 4 solarmax hps to 3 of these Digilux MH in my stadiums. I have had one (outta 6) fail by the weld where the metal threads meet the glass when I unscrewed it from a socket - other than that I was reallllly happy with them. Argggg, I hate buying new shit when the old stuff still works, but craven is the second that I know of that had the thing fail completely and compromise the whole structural integrity like that. Flower is open bulb and glass exploded all over buds isnt exactly medical. Cant do it this run, but has me thinking about replacing them now. Any other 600w MH options yet?

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Excited to watch this.

I purchased a 3k Sunpulse for bloom but that damn thing wont fire on with my digi ballast. I tried it with my mag/coil ballast and sure enough it worked.

Anyway, Im excited to see some real definitive results for once. I have scoured the internet for at least the last 2 years looking for a real side by side but something lame always happens. Like root rot in DWC, or the OP just stops updating...ext.

Cant wait to watch this demo unfold! Thanks and +rep

watts

ohms
Veteran
what ballast did you use? Sun pulse only works best with certain ballast. They don't work well with Quantums and Lumateks.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
what ballast did you use? Sun pulse only works best with certain ballast. They don't work well with Quantums and Lumateks.

Ya it isnt listed on their website. I figured since it is an electonic/digital ballast that it should work. I thought wrong.

Im going to buy a nice Solis Tek soon so I can finally get to use this damn $110 lamp. Its been sitting in its box on a shelf for over a year. haha

zamzia

Veteran
I find all this 'science' confusing! It makes you question if you're doing it right when 'experts' say the 'standard' is all wrong. So annoying!

YoniKunda

I'm using a NextGen 400/600 eballast on 240v mains, has run my sunpulse's without one glitch for two entire grows. 3k, 6.4k and the 10k.

Just swapped in the 10k to finish off a WW and the lamp is 8-10" away only, with no signs of heat stress.

B

BasementGrower

so if ur going to use a single kind of bulb for flower.. what bulb would u guys use, now that this is all out on the table.. should we be switching from HPS to MH and what spectrum should we be using for flower! ? now that the tests are being done.. what should we start using to see a difference. in a good way.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
many people in business will treat you this way (talking down on you) if you ask for something discounted or for free at first, ime.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had a similar experience, probably with this same guy at SP...

I sent in an email, criticizing of one of their white papers and the dude told me to call him for some education talks...

Yall should go look at those white-papers. They're almost hysterical. In the one I was very critical of they mentioned something about red light "NOT having any energy" the showed a chard showing the energy level of the red spectrum so I called them on it... I told them it was bull shit science and contradictory and that they needed a new technical writer. I can write better BS than these guys!

Yep... they lost another potential customer with me.

R

Rjrom90

Been using a Sunpulse 1000 watt 4k for about a year now on 12/12 light cycle. Haven't seen any color shift or dimming yet, the bulbs claim 20,000 hours of life and so far I believe it. It's not quite as bright as a HPS, but it runs cooler and the plants can get 4 inches closer to the bulb so yield hasn't changed but potency has gone up.

Lammy

TWO different SUNPULSE BULBS. YES, this was in an AIRCOOLED hood.
they burn stupid hot and don't do any better then the CHEAPEST hps on the planet.....

when i emailed the pics to them, they said IT WAS MY FAULT, even without asking what my aircooled hood was and what kind of exhaust for the hood.....

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=16643&pictureid=695187=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=16643&pictureid=688322=1]View Image[/url]

my experience so far is that half of the lamps run really hot the other half don't run at all.

The SunPulse tech is a Dick. ( and everyone else there too)
I ordered 6x1000 watt and 4x 600 watt lamps. I received 5x1000 watt lamps. 2 of those were manufacture's defects with the wireframe not be welded together correctly and the other 1 had large amount of broken glass in it from another lamp.

I called SP directly to try and get the lamps replaced under warranty. the guy I talked to was an a****** enough that I don't ever wanna do business with them again even if they could make a good product.

after I had described to the SP tech the defects my 2 lamps had. he had the nerve to complain for 5 minutes that I bought them from a cheap online retailer that did not have them packaged good enough. so I interrupted him and said "with all due respect sir, none of this happened during shipping they were both manufacturers defects. the 1 your robots didn't weld good enough and the other has glass from another lamp in it. neither of which happen during shipping." that did not slow him down at all he just continued on a rant to complain that PLH should have taken the lamp out of the box it comes in and wrapped it in bubble wrap.

after that the SP tech went on a rant about how it was ridiculous for me to think that the manufacturer MIGHT honor their own warranty to the end user. he later told me that all the new bulbs manufactured in 2013 after will have to be directly return to SP. ( this seems to be because they won't honor their warranties and they give the grow store such a hard time. the grow stores don't want to carry their bulbs anymore. so if they directly tell the end user to go f*** himself and that he is too stupid to use their products the grow store will probably keep carrying their products. at least that's what they hope) keep in mind the MSRP on these 1000 watts is about $165. they should be able to afford better customer service.

Running Way to Hot.
I heat my house exclusively from the air pushed through the hoods of my 10 kW flower room. I had 6 hoods ducted together in a line and another 4 hoods ducted together in a line. I switched 5 of my 1000 watt xtrasun HPS lamps for 5x 1000 watt 3k SP. the temperature remained constant at 30 degrees Fahrenheit outside for a few weeks before and after the switch. before the switch my living space was staying at 67 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit. after the switch I had to keep a window open to let the 30 degree air blow in to keep it at 72 to 73 degrees in my living space. now granted the way that I have my hoods ducted the temperature increases as the air passes through each consecutive hood. but it did the same thing with the HPS lamps without getting nearly as hot.

Side by Side.
sure I didn't exactly do a scientific side by side and I don't have any fancy white papers with charts or graphs. but...

I have a flower room that I'm running all Shark Shock in. I have 2 tables in there 1x 4 by 8 table and 1x 4 by 6 Table. over the 4 by 8 table I had 4 x 600 watt SP lamps on movers and I was able to keep the temperature under control so that the hoods just skimed the top of the plants (4"-6"). over the 4 by 6 table I had 1x 1000 watt Ultrasun lamp that I paid 25 dollars for. I hung it really high so that it could cover the plants and I had intended on replacing it with more lighting. however at 3 weeks into flowering you could clearly see the difference from 10 feet away. the 4 by 6 table under a single 1000 watt HPS clearly had a larger buds underneath of it despite the watts per square foot and being hung extremely high. not wanting to lose money that badly I took down all of the SP lamps and hung up all HPS lamps.

Expensive Garbage.
I setup a veg room and decided to use the 600 watt SP lamps in there. the first time I turned on the lights in the new room 1 of the SP lamps cracked inside and started blasting out fire. that lamp had about 3 weeks worth of use on it.
I got these 600's from a different retailer then I did the 1000 watts. 2 of the 5x 1000 watt bulbs were defective. 1 of the 2 new 600 watts that I bought were also defective. that is 3 out of 7 lamps that were defective. nearly half. 1 year ago I bought 12x Ultra Sun lamps. which cost 25 dollars each! not 1 single lamp was broken out of those!! I would like to think that Ultra Sun has decent customer support but as I haven't had ANY problems with their products I can only speculate.

You Are F***** on Returns.
when I talked to PLH about returning them they had stated that they were thinking about not carrying them anymore because there are so many problems with them. when I called the local hydro store that I bought the 600's from the owner told me he does not let his sales staff try and sell the SP lamps anymore because they have such a high rate of problems with them. and also because sp gives them a bunch of crap and doesn't want to replace anything under warranty and continuously blames either the store or the end user.

I mailed the 2x 1000 watt lamps back to hydro farm. after 3 weeks they hadn't bothered to send me any new ones.

F**** SunPulse.
if these extremely expensive lamps could double my yield I would use them. if I could manage to buy some that actually worked. but anything less than double is not worth the headache and I'm pretty sure they cut my yield in half by using them for only 3 weeks. once spring comes I won't be able to cool my grow room if I run any SP lamps.

Lammy

MELTING
well I was cleaning my hood and I was going to switch out the Sun pulse bulbs anyway. because I don't care for the loss in yield or the extra temperature.

when I noticed that my bulbs had started to melt just like krunchbubble's.

which actually thrilled me to no end. I really hope that PLH will give me credit for these. if not I guess I'll be a lot less thrilled but I've only had them for a month so....

I received a total of 7 SunPulse lamps. all 7 needed to be returned.

MELTING
well I was cleaning my hood and I was going to switch out the Sun pulse bulbs anyway. because I don't care for the loss in yield or the extra temperature.

when I noticed that my bulbs had started to melt just like krunchbubble's.

which actually thrilled me to no end. I really hope that PLH will give me credit for these. if not I guess I'll be a lot less thrilled but I've only had them for a month so....

I received a total of 7 SunPulse lamps. all 7 needed to be returned.
SunPulse is over-hyped garbage in a fancy box. Nothing more. They do not even come remotely close to the Suns spectrum and I know this because I have a spectrometer and it tells all. Aquarium stores have the best MHs at a fraction of the cost.

The owner of SunPulse is a quack dick and that's why he treats people wrong. You would have to be a dick to lie to people and say that your Chinese made MH is superior to German MH technology. LMFAO.