What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple tips to grow excellent cannabis

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Re: Simple tips to grow excellent cannabis

Plan as far out as possible, within reason..but be able to adapt and change on the go. Hardly anything goes according to plans, but plans can do alot to get you on your way.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
i disagree. if you use good soil (high microbial activity and enough "food") u can go with water only, no ph, no ec, just plain tap water and your grow will come out great.
maybe not 1g/w from the go, but the final product is uncomparably better in many ways (taste/smell & high)..
just my experience..
:tiphat:

Without going OT too far.. If I could buy soil like this in a bag, I would give it a serious go, have recently tried Canna Terra and Plagron Light and found the watering a nightmare, the product, small, slow and unexceptional. Also I have never smoked anything grown in soil that smelled, tasted, or gave a better high than coco. Equal, most certainly many are, Soma's cup entries are so exceptional that I am still wondering... Here people are very open about their crops and I see lots of different weeds. I have fields full of free good quality soil already here, yet drive 150Km to buy coco at e12 sack. Also, many Cannabis Cups are won with coco grown bud, if there was the slightest advantage to be had in Soil grown weed, IMO you would not see many entries grown in coco.

I also disagree. I feel so strongly about not flushing I don't even use containers with drainage holes.

Pine

Interesting Pine, always got time to listen to those rare people who dare to stray from the flock and do things differently. I have also had very nice weed, unflushed, but then again, I try not to overfertilise in the first place... which might be part of the issue.

A FoaF once fed his soil, organic crop so much fish mix, that the weed stank to hell and back of fish... so he made it all into cookies, that... stunk of fish... amazingly, no takers...

I think we are moving away from "simple" tips to grow and moving closer to the topic of "ways" to grow. Anyone agree on that? I think we covered everything in the first couple of pages..... :2cents:
:smoke out:

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
well well well..
that being said i was thinking about your first post in this (your) thread, that gave me a "sour" feeling..

"As growers our main problem to solve is what the hell does this fuckin' plant need to perform to it's highest potential? That is our adventure, that is our job. We learn our plants in and out, so we know just what to do, and when so they come out exactly perfect for our taste. "

in my opinion a pretty disrespectful statement. more like a businessman running a chicken farm..
when i read this i thought to myself "luckily i am not your girlfriend.."

being good starts with good thinking/feeling.. no?

i am just reacting to that because you started to throw around with big words, like being a good or a shitty person and such..

MY TIP for growing very good weed..
be with your plants, use your senses, listen, look, smell.
and a lot of love and care :tiphat:

i don't understand what is disrepectfrul about my statement? maybe the way i use language offends you, but thats what freedom of speech is.

who would that statement be offensive or disrespectful to? our plants? the things we completely manipulate with synthetic light and trick into flowering?

If you're just put off because I said fuck in my post, then you're a pussy, grow up. I talk like a man, I act like a man. I'm not politically correct all of the time, and I generally dislike most people until they give me a reason to respect and like them.

you can see by the users on here that have known me for years and years and years that I'm kind and respected and have done my part for the community. including starting this thread to try and steer new growers in the right direction, and share some simple things that may not be in books or discussed to death on the forums already.

I take what you say with a grain of salt. I am past most ego issues in my life now, and I conduct myself in a way that reflects that. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I'm not ashamed of my opinion or actions.

And I'm sure a lot of girls would hate to be my girlfriend right now, cause my life is dedicated to ganja. All I do all day is work on multiple gardens, make extracts and medibles and smoke constantly. not many girls are looking for that in a man.

anyway, haven't been around for a few days, spent the weekend getting my face crushed by Phish. :dance013:

on with the thread..

Last edited:

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
never water when u dont need to, always water when u do, alwyays treat individual plants individually, what one varitey needs the other may not. the main thing ive found is maintain the plants metabolism via exact water techniques, if u can say water all 5 plants that need it and wait a half day to water the others that dont quite need it yet u really have something, the entire metabolism is water based, cant stress perfect watering enough and the patience to wait untill exactly when the plant ask for it, when u keep your plant in a high state of metabolism via allowing your medium to breath u get the best results, there is no depression in growth.

l.s.t, spread them apical dominant plant hormones to your advantage
tap water, it has cal mag n plants grow faster in it then pure water
im also thinking that keeping N not low but not at its max untill well into flower say week 5 , what i mean is that ive noticed buds are bigger on plants that arent pumped full of N at the switch(12/12) but gradually get it as the strectch calls for more, with sativas the n requirement will be greater and longer, just read your plants

dude, none of what you said makes sense. PLEASE, NO ONE TAKE ANY OF THIS ADVICE

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
well... better go organic, then you dont need to flush at all! (somebody had to say that, no?) :tiphat:

I hope you're joking. cause if you're not. thats a completely false statement. I've found organics build up just as much, if not more salts than hydro/coco nutrients.

plus you have to remember that the act of flushing is forcing the plant to use the remaining nutrients stored in the cells and rootsystem/medium. giving the plant pure water for a period of time at the end of flowering allows all of the nutrients to be used by the plant. this why a properly flushed plant will have mostly yellow leaves at the end of flowering.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
I think we are moving away from "simple" tips to grow and moving closer to the topic of "ways" to grow. Anyone agree on that? I think we covered everything in the first couple of pages..... :2cents:
:smoke out:

I agree for the most part, lets try to keep this to tips that are easy and simple. not methods of growing or particular nutrients to use.

This thread isn't to educate people about how to grow the most weed, or even which medium is best. thats for everyone to figure out on their own. This thread is to give people tricks that they may not have thought of, that experienced growers just do out of habit or necessity, or learn away from the forums.

keep it going though. I learn new things from talking to growers in person all the time. With all the dedicated passionate growers here on IC, I don't think this thread is even close to done yet.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1. first things first... environment environment environment!!!!!

temps, humidity, circulation, lighting, etc... if these are off you are fighting an uphill battle.

2. less is more

check on your plants daily but dont mess with them. if environment is in order and you dont inject stress then the plants will do their thing.

3. worry less about yield and more about quality. yield comes with experience and dialing in. throwing 10 different boosters at your plants is like throwing $$$ in the toilet. you can achieve 1g per watt with adding nothing but water. dont over complicate things. when someone smokes your bud they dont care if it yielded 3 oz per plant... they worry if it is good or not! period

4. genetics. good in... good out. put good seeds into soil and you are more likely to get good herb at harvest given 1, 2, and 3 are covered.

i cant stress environment as being the #1 thing. you build a house on a foundation... your grow is built on one too :)

I

imnotkrazy

P a t i e n c e is definitely a virtue for growing great herb. Good soil is the key for me, then I just water and let the sun and plants take care of the rest adding a few teas along the way.

My garden is therapeutic. It nurtures me as I work in it.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I hope you're joking. cause if you're not. thats a completely false statement. I've found organics build up just as much, if not more salts than hydro/coco nutrients.

plus you have to remember that the act of flushing is forcing the plant to use the remaining nutrients stored in the cells and rootsystem/medium. giving the plant pure water for a period of time at the end of flowering allows all of the nutrients to be used by the plant. this why a properly flushed plant will have mostly yellow leaves at the end of flowering.

What is flushing to you? Is it just using plain water for a period of time or is it running large amounts of plain water through your containers. Most people think of it as the latter which makes no sense to me at all in the context of an true organic grow.

Suppose you have an organic grow with a living soil or living soilless medium and you top dress with a quarter of a cup of alfalfa meal (or some other organic fertilizer). What happens to that alfalfa and how do the plants use the nutrients it contains?

When you get a good grasp of the answers to these question you will understand why flushing by running large amounts of plain water through containers at the end of a well managed organic grow is counterproductive.

Pine

I

imnotkrazy

How would one flush a plant growing outdoor in the dirt as nature has done since long before we started poking our fingers into the process? I think China would be pissed if I ran enough water through the ground to flush my plants.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
good advice philthy...i was gonna add on to what you said about good genetics...dont buy random clones! sometimes you might get something good, but you are risking 2-3 months of your time and money on something unproven....pop some proven seeds from IC (sour bubble is something that cannot fail)...or get your rep up and be lucky enough to receive proven cuts from fellow growers..

also..a good stem rub and sniff is a nice way to test the vitality and possible future strengh of veg plants.....if she is smelling like a fresh bag of dank you probably have something good!

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
What is flushing to you? Is it just using plain water for a period of time or is it running large amounts of plain water through your containers. Most people think of it as the latter which makes no sense to me at all in the context of an true organic grow.

Suppose you have an organic grow with a living soil or living soilless medium and you top dress with a quarter of a cup of alfalfa meal (or some other organic fertilizer). What happens to that alfalfa and how do the plants use the nutrients it contains?

When you get a good grasp of the answers to these question you will understand why flushing by running large amounts of plain water through containers at the end of a well managed organic grow is counterproductive.

Pine

what I consider to be flushing, and what works best for me in soil is the first method. I use only tap water and water about the same amount or a bit more for 2-3 weeks at the end of flower.

I know most people consider flushing to be running 3x-5x the amount of water through as the size of the pots your medium is in. I just find that wasteful and not necessary. especially in soil.

in coco and hydro I water as usual with pure RO water for 10-14 days at the end of flowering. both ways get me pure white ash and excellent flavors and aromas.

1. Good organic soil. A compost tea at the start of veg and the start of flower, but other than that, pure water all the way.

2. Massive pots. As large as your space will allow imo.

3. Mulch Mulch Mulch...dead or living. Leaf mold, various decaying matter from around the yard, whatever. It will keep the top of your soil moist and allow root growth to the tip top layer.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
1. Good organic soil. A compost tea at the start of veg and the start of flower, but other than that, pure water all the way.

2. Massive pots. As large as your space will allow imo.

3. Mulch Mulch Mulch...dead or living. Leaf mold, various decaying matter from around the yard, whatever. It will keep the top of your soil moist and allow root growth to the tip top layer.

Let's clarify that this is a simple way to grow outdoor. good tips.