What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lucas VS. Advanced Nutrients

MileHighGuy

Veteran
:wave:

I've used the Lucas Formula in the past and LOVE it for it's simplicity, but just like many others... I wondered if there was more, or if it's all hype.

My roommate had a buddy using advanced with excellent results, and wanted to purchase ALL the nutrients... His money, How could I say no.

Now, a year later, Advanced didn't BLOW me away with 10 times the yield or anything crazy, So, I want to calculate the difference, if any.

I'm having some Trouble deciding how exactly I want to compare.

So let me tell you the setup and my plans, I will be starting this week, and want to make sure all is done correctly.

I will be running three clones in Modified GH waterfarm buckets.

Each bucket will stand alone, I have drilled more holes in the top bucket and added a 4" flat disc Airstone.

The clones are almost ready for transplant, I will be running Sweet Tooth from a local Dispensary.

1 Bucket - Lucas Formula (Maxibloom)
2 Buckets - Advanced Nutrients

This is where I need some help.

I typically use hygrozyme and great white with my Lucas then add kool bloom, should I continue this... or JUST use the Lucas formula and nothing else?

The Advanced lineup:

VEG:

Sensi A
Sensi B
Mother Earth Tea
H2
F1
B-52
Voodoo Juice
(I use Great White instead of the Scorpion, Piranha and Tarantula)
(I use Hygrozyme instead of Sensizym)
CalMag
Was thinking about adding a Silica Blast like Rhino Skin

FLOWER:

Connoisseur A
Connoisseur B
Mother Earth Tea
H2
F1
B-52
Hygrozyme
Great White
CalMag
VooDoo Juice
Bud Candy
Big Bud
Overdrive
Final Phase

If Lucas comes even close, I'm going right back, all this expense and mixing is a huge pain...

Fuck, I had to go look at all my bottles to remember what I was using.

images

air_stone_round_4inch.180110439_std.jpg

GH_maxi_Series_maxibloom.jpg

images

I want to make this Legit, so any advice would be awesome.

I will be designing my exact feeding schedule so that I can post it on here.

:groupwave:

P

Puscifer

I think Lucas will hold it's own, and I also think the Waterfarm with the lucas will give you the least problems.
I've been running the Lucas formula for years. And though I've strayed, I always find myself going back :)
Let me shut up now and take a seat:lurk:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
great comparrisson been wonderin if all the bottles i got are nessessary... i started with like 21 or some shit...now eliminating them slowly... tip for ya-b52 and budcandy do not mix well in flower....use b52 and voodoojuice the 1rst 2 wks of flower then eliminate both and rock the budcandy....

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
I'd give AN tech support a call, they have really wierd hydro feeding guidelines that arent on their website

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
im on the phone with deeana bout once a wk goin over there changes ..... do not follow the listed directions unless ya wann rock at 7000ppms..... i basically use the conni at 2-4ml per gallon not lt as base then tweek shit according to plant/strain needs with the additives....in my dwcs and rdwc.... im not gonna get to detailed since none of us even no if he is still doin this and i doubt he in flower yet neway but if ya need some more info holla...

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
AN Actually goes weirder than that, the guidelines usually peak at around 1600 for medium feeding, but in a hydro system that recirculates their tech support will tell you to divide that number by 4 or 5 so you're running well under 1000 ppm all the time

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Seriously.... this is crazy, there was no notification that I got approved for this thread...

I submitted my post and it wasn't up here forever. I just figured I was denied and would Not be allowed to run this thread. Since I wasn't waiting for an answer I have already deviated from the plans and blew the test.

Here are my non scientific findings:

By no means was this a proper test, If I had known I was approved for this grow log I would have spent much more time and effort documenting.

Anyways, Long story short I kept having major issues with the Advanced (not PH perfect) and it was really causing some funky growth on the two soil plants and the one Hydro that I was going to test.

Out of the three hydro, 2 were running lucas and the one with Advanced was doing terrible, brown roots, growth problems, curling leaves and what looked to be mag. def. but I was checking PH and PPM daily.

I switched to lucas and the plant exploded with growth, the roots whitened up (h202) and everything is much better now.

I even switched the two I have in soil and now they are doing MUCH better, no more problems.

Besides the fact that Lucas is ten times easier to understand, mix, use, top off.... etc. It just plain works.

That being said, I'm still planning on running some experiments with the Advanced Nutrient additives that I have since I have them.

It could be that I just completely suck at growing, but I won't be recommending advanced to anyone.

Sorry Guys I totally blew it on the experiment.

I've since built a RDWC system and won't be doing this test again because I'm only going to use lucas.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Oh, and for those that suggested not following the Recipe on the back of the bottle....

Don't worry, my problems were not caused by this, I'm well aware of How Advanced makes a label that would kill your plants... cause I've almost done it.

I've even called advanced... no answer... no answer... WTF... finally days later I got someone to talk to, they were very helpful and I followed their advice.... after I thought I had "Figured Advanced Out" I did this grow and Just realized that a $15 bag of Maxibloom and a little shake in some warm water was WAY better than constantly stressing about ruining my grow... wondering if the grow shop would have the 1 out of 20 F'ing bottles I would need when I ran out.... and Learning how to use each product because the labels are complete Bullshit.

Did I mention $15 a Bag for Maxibloom... WTF was I thinking, I swear I'll never stray again.

(I'll play with some additives, I'm sure.. but that's not cheating)

epicseeds

I would find it highly educational if you were to try this again, and hopefully figure out how to use AN to it's full potential. Every AN user I talk to says you really have to tweak with your recipe to get optimal results.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
:wave:

I've used the Lucas Formula in the past and LOVE it for it's simplicity, but just like many others... I wondered if there was more, or if it's all hype.

My roommate had a buddy using advanced with excellent results, and wanted to purchase ALL the nutrients... His money, How could I say no.

Now, a year later, Advanced didn't BLOW me away with 10 times the yield or anything crazy, So, I want to calculate the difference, if any.

I'm having some Trouble deciding how exactly I want to compare.

So let me tell you the setup and my plans, I will be starting this week, and want to make sure all is done correctly.

I will be running three clones in Modified GH waterfarm buckets.

Each bucket will stand alone, I have drilled more holes in the top bucket and added a 4" flat disc Airstone.

The clones are almost ready for transplant, I will be running Sweet Tooth from a local Dispensary.

1 Bucket - Lucas Formula (Maxibloom)
2 Buckets - Advanced Nutrients

This is where I need some help.

I typically use hygrozyme and great white with my Lucas then add kool bloom, should I continue this... or JUST use the Lucas formula and nothing else?

The Advanced lineup:

VEG:

Sensi A
Sensi B
Mother Earth Tea
H2
F1
B-52
Voodoo Juice
(I use Great White instead of the Scorpion, Piranha and Tarantula)
(I use Hygrozyme instead of Sensizym)
CalMag
Was thinking about adding a Silica Blast like Rhino Skin

FLOWER:

Connoisseur A
Connoisseur B
Mother Earth Tea
H2
F1
B-52
Hygrozyme
Great White
CalMag
VooDoo Juice
Bud Candy
Big Bud
Overdrive
Final Phase

If Lucas comes even close, I'm going right back, all this expense and mixing is a huge pain...

Fuck, I had to go look at all my bottles to remember what I was using.

images

air_stone_round_4inch.180110439_std.jpg

GH_maxi_Series_maxibloom.jpg

images

I want to make this Legit, so any advice would be awesome.

I will be designing my exact feeding schedule so that I can post it on here.

:groupwave:
I am SO IN!!!!!!!!!!!! TaGGed!!!! Let's settle this once and for all brothers and sisters!!

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Oh Damn I just read the rest.. Its all good bro. I'm sure you're a great grower!! I too used AN and I have to admit I've never had bud like that ever again but I truly believe it was based on genetics.

Been using GH ever since and I've had some weak bud and strong but again I believe this was based on genetics. A good example was the REZ-CD-IBL.. Strongest and best I ever smoked and it was all GH. Maxi Grow, Bloom, and Kool Bloom. Simple and efficient. Powders last damn near forever too :).

loyalty7

Lucas formula rocks, but def with additives, something to pull some flavor out, seeweed, or something organic

GreenIvey

Any recommendations on the amount of maxi bloom to use? Or shall I just follow the schedule on the back (1-2tsp/Gal)? Thanks for the great info.

Latest posts

Latest posts