What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not sure if this has been posted but....Patent on autoflowers?

CodyPomeray

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20190297821

Saw this on reddit earlier, filed last year but jeez...Is this even possible? Or is this one of those just throwing shit at walls and hoping it sticks cases?

What a future we live in.

LINK DOES NOT OPEN WHEN I TRY
-SamS

I found it and it is filed by Seth and Eric at Oregon CBD, Seth posts on IC
-SamS

**Edit** Noted sam, this link may work, updated top one too.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0297821.html

Saw this on reddit earlier, filed last year but jeez...Is this even possible? Or is this one of those just throwing shit at walls and hoping it sticks cases?

What a future we live in.

LINK DOES NOT OPEN WHEN I TRY
-SamS

I found it and it is filed by Seth and Eric at Oregon CBD, Seth posts on IC
-SamS

The brothers have cornered the market for NW Hemp....even if a patent, it won't be earth shaking.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Looks like they’re patenting ‘fast version’ strains(f1 auto/photo crosses, unless I’m mistaken?)... odd as femaleseeds have been doing those for a long time. Sweet seeds and Seedsman have also been selling them for a bit, so I’m not sure how that’s allowed?

CodyPomeray

Yeah and the wording is just Cannabis Sativa x Cannabis Ruderalis. So its not just hemp autos. I dunno, confuses me how this is even possible, its nothing to worry about I assume, and good luck enforcing common knowledge, but yeah. Just got my ears pointed a bit.

Fitzera

Looks like they’re patenting ‘fast version’ strains(f1 auto/photo crosses, unless I’m mistaken?)... odd as femaleseeds have been doing those for a long time. Sweet seeds and Seedsman have also been selling them for a bit, so I’m not sure how that’s allowed?

Not on topic but you brought up something I had been asking myself for some time. What is in these "Fast" strains. So that's basically all they are doing, crossing a photo with an auto to get a faster version than the photo?

brickweeder

This process has been in the public domain for decades...ever since The Seedbank started offering ruderalis seeds from russia back in the late 80's.

I doubt that patent would be issued, and even if it were, they'll probably lose it when they try to enforce it via the court system and all the public domain info is presented.

Just a pathetic attempt to extort money from existing auto breeders using fear of a lawsuit.

HillBillyAlien

Not on topic but you brought up something I had been asking myself for some time. What is in these "Fast" strains. So that's basically all they are doing, crossing a photo with an auto to get a faster version than the photo?

Just make them finish anywhere from 7-14 days quicker. Depends on pheno as some will finish how they normally would.

mr.brunch

Veteran

Yes, As I understand it the first generation of auto x photo shows no auto plants, just faster photo ones

J-Icky

This honestly makes me of the dumbest attempts at a patent I’ve ever seen. Even if it is a giant corporation with unlimited financial backing and insiders in the courts and government that will force this to be granted.
What are they gonna do? Go after every breeder that has a fast finishing strain? They gonna test everything they think might be a ruderalis/sativa cross?
All one would need is an established, stabilized rud/sat cross and use that to cross to any photo plant to speed up flowering and it completely defeats this patent. Even if they bought the courts, going after all these breeders will just turn the community against them and make their efforts not worth the money and hassle.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well apparently I was wrong and it was Oregon CBD, but interesting that Sam doesn't mention anything in this article: https://thehempmag.com/2018/06/the-upcoming-epidiolex-ruling-what-it-means-for-the-hemp-cbd-market/

While at first I thought GW Pharmaceuticals was behind this, it now appears to me that this was done out of spite for GW Pharmacueticals doing the same. For those of you who don't want to click an outside link, I will copy and paste some key information found in the article, relating to both GW Pharmaceuticals and Seth, the one who filed the patent, the one who posts here.

Although there does exist the possibility that the two found common ground and are working together, it wouldn't be the first time that's happened with GW and their tactics with outsourcing. Seems like a win win for both parties involved if you ask me.

Copied and Pasted Text from the Article:

Three years ago, Trey Willison, the breeder and owner of Eugenius, received a cease and desist letter from GW for a strain he was growing, and they went so far as to threaten lawsuits. A personal friend and patent attorney stressed the gravity of the situation to Willison and, after that interaction, he says that GW “really frightens” him. He mentioned hearing rumors about GW employing lobbyists in 17 states, and “pushing for FDA-approved CBD only,” such as the GW bill which was passed in Colorado and the one currently moving through California’s legislature. Willison predicts that “just like you see Mexico and Canada being havens for older people getting cheap drugs, I expect you will see some states that stay CBD havens.”

Seth Crawford, co-founder of Oregon CBD Seeds, commented that he thinks that industrial hemp can produce all the compounds in GW’s pharmaceuticals, “as long as you have testing for impurities and potency, as well as dosing information, then you can use the nutraceutical option.” For Crawford, the two industries are not mutually exclusive, saying, “I don’t think we should say ‘destroy GW’ and we also shouldn’t destroy hemp, they are two options for patients to use.”

Last edited:

CannaZen

Open source seeds are the answer to problems with patenting. an open source license patent works so that it holds the same freedoms while protecting from against copyright patenting.

clearheaded

This honestly makes me of the dumbest attempts at a patent I’ve ever seen. Even if it is a giant corporation with unlimited financial backing and insiders in the courts and government that will force this to be granted.
What are they gonna do? Go after every breeder that has a fast finishing strain? They gonna test everything they think might be a ruderalis/sativa cross?
All one would need is an established, stabilized rud/sat cross and use that to cross to any photo plant to speed up flowering and it completely defeats this patent. Even if they bought the courts, going after all these breeders will just turn the community against them and make their efforts not worth the money and hassle.

what they do is say you have to buy seeds from us to be certified grower. ie out of Monsantos play book. farmers are no longer allowed to plant there own seeds and have to purchase because of monsnatos lobbyists.

Latest posts

Latest posts