What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OpenCannabis Licensing of Cannabis genetics...

covert

Are there existing rules on the ownership rights on plant germplasm for cannabis or is it covered in more general laws?

I raise this because I've long wished wished there were an accepted set of rules (that could be drawn up or ad(a)(o)pted) that stipulate an open license for the registered strain involved such that it becomes public domain in perpetuity.

I see this as a way of establishing stewardship for this wonderful plant such that it remains a treasure for all humans of the future who deserve to enjoy the wondrousness of cannabis.

An analogy of a GNU public license in the IT world.

If a cannabis freedom group is already doing this then my apologies...

thailer

two people literally asked me who Phylos was on another forum, so i am not sure news has spread like most intended.

two people literally asked me who Phylos was on another forum, so i am not sure news has spread like most intended.

They would have seen all negative stuff about them on the 1st page after a search which is good now but alot of decent people felt duped by them back then and now who knows what phylos is doing but people in the backwoods of humboldt with no internet heard of what phylos was up to.

Decent people within the community took a stand against them and i think the intention was to expose what their agenda was which worked. But anyone who now might get duped from phylos just needs to do a google search for loads of negative info and use common sense as you would in 2020 with a bioscience company.

rolandomota

Veteran
Dude phylos started breeding hemp seeds lol people are way too paranoid they weren't going to magically patent all the submissions lol I thought today had more relaxing and sleepy weed apparently not . No one will ever convince me that phylos was doing anything bad I mean c Mon really? Get over it :laughing:

Dude phylos started breeding hemp seeds lol people are way too paranoid they weren't going to magically patent all the submissions lol I thought today had more relaxing and sleepy weed apparently not . No one will ever convince me that phylos was doing anything bad I mean c Mon really? Get over it :laughing:

Well i guess they are a really trustworthy company now then within the cannabis community or should i say hemp community or industry.

Alot of people jumped off board and cant even condone how they conduct business.

I would trust kevin mckernan of medicinal genomics rather than mowglli holmes of phylos.

The genetic data aquired from phylos could easily serve as an advantage for cannabis breeding especially locking down certain traits and profiles.

Having members on the advisory board one from syngenta and another who was vp of technology aquisition at the merged dow and dupont. Holmes continued: "So having these guys around is crucial for us, because we're building a company that is ultimately going to be aquired by that universe.

“We’ve been collecting data and IP for four years. We have really huge barriers to entry protecting us,” and that “we have more trust in the cannabis industry than any other science company.”

Hemp breeders is B******t, They were building data and ip collecting to sell on the company to corporates for big bucks or aquired by that universe as mowgli said.

Last edited:

CannaZen

Saw an article read it said open source only works for software then suggests IP, i think its wrong. We wouldn't have the seeds we have today if not were it for sharing. MiT license allows you to sell so long as the buyer has the same right.

stainly has interesting blog posts about open source seed license today. The open source seed initiative only accepts hemp currently due to legality requirements. I would like to open source my own seed. :)

hellfire

I thought that's what we've been doing more or less for the last 50 years...once a seed is out (or a cut) it is out. Community wise we've used history, common knowledge and imagination with names to create somewhat of a map. It just doesn't have dna sequencing, chromosome mapping and whatever else the scientists in labs abroad are working towards.

No one owns cannabis but breeding is something else. It takes a lot to make a strain patentable. You can't just make F2s of someone else's thing and call it yours. Parental lines must be established. Other patents are utility patents which is where hemp and low thc numbers could come into play. Robert Connel Clarke warned of this in marijuana botany. You won't be able to convince me or many others on this board that Phylos entering the hemp game isn't them chasing patents and big pharma contracts. It isn't 'just hemp' anymore there is a multi billion dollar industry forming.

Sam already has plant patents. So do a few others. Cannabis can be patented in the Netherlands and a few other countries. By US law they are still murky with the legal aspect but hemp and thc limits will change that, making something like auto CBD from Phylos a patentable reality. If it isn't directly other people's parent lines or you know...stolen.

The thing is patents aren't always respected. Just look at China. I'd give it 3 months before you can buy phylos auto cbd S1s from somewhere else...going back to our community look how many times this has happened ;)