What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The height of humidity domes for clones

Treevly

It is my understanding that clones root better in humidity domes rather than without, but most domes are for seedlings, and are not tall enough for a 10" cutting, for example. Are their domes that tall for sale? If not I could perhaps make one.
Thanks for any advice.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I've used 1 and 2 liter soda bottles with the bottom cuts off, could maybe do 3 liter but I don't think those are actually taller, just wider.

EcoNepenthe

Here's a thought...1gal zip-lock bag, 16oz beer cup w/holes in bottom. presto..humidity enclosed environment. Works like a charm.
Success w/ya grow!!!
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_5034[1].jpg
    IMG_5034[1].jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 26

NeWcS

It is my understanding that clones root better in humidity domes rather than without, but most domes are for seedlings, and are not tall enough for a 10" cutting, for example. Are their domes that tall for sale? If not I could perhaps make one.
Thanks for any advice.

You do know there are clone domes right? Domes to hold clones, not seeds. With much more head-room.
Am I missing something?

RockinRobot

Thanks for any advice.

Why 10 inch cuttings? Hell I move my clones into flower at that height. Don't think I ever took a clone taller than 4 inches tall.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
20140902_112917.jpg

I think you're looking for these Mondi domes. Can use rockwool, coco coir plugs, or rapid rooter/root riot plug trays. I don't remember actually seeing or purchasing a cutting from an aero cloner, may work really well for some people or inhouse production but the trays with humidity domes are pretty much the standard it appears.

Treevly

You do know there are clone domes right? Domes to hold clones, not seeds. With much more head-room.
Am I missing something?

Thanks. Yes, you're missing that I was not aware of the existence of such things, which is why I started this thread. I don't get out much. Are there particular popular brands?

capnCõno

They sell xl clone domes for 2x4 trays perfect for what ya looking for but they expensive like 100 each but made solid not the same plastic flimsy like the others... worth it if ya grow size dictates the savings ...

Treevly

Thanks for all those, it's all very useful info. I could do the home-made dome, made with 2 big pop bottles coupled together, I think. Then again, I told my buddy about the situation (of wanting to preserve a particular fine female) and the said ":Why not just take the goodies off the thing and take the plant indoors, chopped off to reasonable height?" Well, duh. Mind you, that would take more space, given the rootball, but still, it's a real option. I would prefer to start smaller. How long do you cut branches ro create clones? And since I'm getting all this free advice: can you keep plants alive in veg indefinitely, indoors? Whoa, thanks again.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
To answer last question first, yes, you should be able to keep a genetic mother going indefinitely. There is a thread about bonsai mothers over thisway https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31919 As for cloning, I personally have found if I take smaller clones like 4-6 inches they root best, but I've seen people take monster clones and it worked great for them. I think it really comes down to finding the best way for you to clone. I bounced around between a bunch of different styles before settling on DWC and rapid rooters. If you are gonna bring the entire plant indoors, be careful of any bugs coming in with the plant! To maintain a clean zone it might be safer to just root some cuttings.

NEED 4 SEED

Why 10 inch cuttings? Hell I move my clones into flower at that height. Don't think I ever took a clone taller than 4 inches tall.

With some strains its impossible to take small cuttings. I have had a lot of occasions where the dome was too low especially when the cutting has extremely stretched internodes - and you want to cut under a node, don't you...