What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Item #9

Mystic Funk

Item #9 sharing thread
I started this thread because I get a lot of questions about what Item #9 is and I thought it would be cool to have a place that we can all share grows and our experiences with It.
I’ll start off by tell how the variety came to be.
It started when a good friend of mine sent me some seeds from cali that were labeled “pineapple express” this variety was a cross of (G13 x Hawaiian). The pineapple express was a mostly sativa looking plant and it had a very strong smell of over ripe mango/pineapple. I liked this plant because of its nice smell, bag appeal and potency. So I worked on stabilizing those traits further. Then when I got the plant where I wanted it and I thought to myself why not cross two very opposite smelling varieties to see what the offspring would be like, so I crossed my very dank cheese cut with the very fruity pineapple express. The f1’s came out better than what I expected. I love when this happens! Oddly I think both the flavors together complement each other and most of offspring had a 50/50 mix of both flavors. I thought one flavor would dominate the other, but that was not the case here. The first thing that hits the nose is the dank smell of the cheese, but right behind that is the sweet smell of the pineapple/mango, In fact I think the cheese boosted the flavor of the pineapple express. So a warning to anyone that is thinking about running this variety, if security is a problem this is not a plant for you. This is a very smelly plant! Odor control is a must!
The growth traits are a mix of indica and sativa. Item #9 will stretch out a little in growth and the leaves look mostly indica until they are into flower then they get skinny. The buds are very dense for their size. They will weigh down the branches so much that you’ll have to tie them up so they don’t end up in the dirt. This plant is grown best when topped and ran in a scrog type grow. If you play your cards right this plant should turn purple to almost black which adds to the selling point, if the smell doesn’t do it first.

I also love the high on this one, in low doses it’s a very clean high like a sativa without the head fog of an indica and it can be very relaxing at the same time. It’s not very racy like some can be and I think it would be good for someone with anxiety. In higher doses this one will get you blasted. You’ll get a tingly face and a very spaced out feeling. I get slight tunnel vision and I swear I can hear shit that’s not there. Lol! It can get a little spooky if you take it too far.
The flowering time can vary on this one due to personal preference. You can take these as soon as 9 weeks but I like to run them a little longer because I think the high is better when their taken at 10 to 11 weeks and I’ve run them as long as 12 weeks. Like some plants this one won’t lose terpenes if you flower it long.
Ok. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head, so if you have any questions about this variety or if you’d like to post up some pics or test grow links go for it. Also please keep this thread on topic to ether item #9 or its parents. Thanks!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Last edited:

Mystic Funk

So I also started a new grow along with my seed testers.
I like to grow organic in soil, so that's how i'll be doing this grow.
the soil I mixed up consists of peat moss, chunky perlite, fresh worm castings, organic time release fertilizers, and limestone.

I started the seeds by soaking them in water for 24 hours and then I placed them in paper towels, after they popped they went right into solo cups with the soil mix I prepared.

picture.php

I then let them veg for a few weeks, then transplanted them into one gallon grow bags.

picture.php

Now that their a little bigger I put them into flower, i'm at my second week in flower now.
These will be staked or tied as needed. I also removed any lower fan leaves to allow good air circulation and to stop suckering.

picture.php

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
That dark red item 9 is really appealing... I grow pineapple express, g13, and cheese cultivars that are real nice on there own. That's a wicked mix crossing them together. Great work! Seems like some super danks :D

Mystic Funk

Thanks guys!:tiphat:

The purple phenotype is somewhat recessive in this variety but i'm going to do a backcross somewhere down the line to the original mother that shows purple every time. This line is at f3 and i'm doing the f4 run now.

peace!
-mystic

Mystic Funk

Update

Update

Most of the males are starting to show their stuff now and some of the females just started to flower.
I haven't decided which males I'm going to keep so i'm going to give it a little more time before culling them. I should have a few more days before they dump pollen.
I like to use a few males when breeding so as not to make a bottleneck in the wrong direction. As I stated before these a are at f3 and i'm making the f4's now so selecting the wrong male at this point could be catastrophic to the line. I like to make my varieties stable but I always leave some variation in given line.

The more indica dominant phenos are more like the (g13 x Hawaiian) and have a sweeter more pineapple smell. and the sativa dominant phenos are more like the (exodus cheese) side of the cross and have a very pungent smell and are viney in growth.
i'm selecting mostly for the phenos that are right in the middle of those two.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Aota1

Very nice herb! I'm only writing for clarification and to compliment your work. I see a lot of pineapple express and have been under the impression that it's a trainwreck x Hawaiian cross. Could there jist be a couple versions you think? It wouldn't surprise me. This isn't intended to take anything away from your work. Just wondering and it's my job to know or learn if i don't. Much thanks!

Mystic Funk

Hey Aota1
There are many crosses named "pineapple express" and I don't claim to have the "real" one or not. it was given to me as that so that's what I call it I got it before 2008 too, if that matters anyway. most pineapple express strains I've seen are autos too. the one I have is not a auto ether.
To kind of keep the theme of the pineapple express and make something of my own I crossed it to another legendary cut exodus cheese, it got worked further and it was renamed item #9.

Putting that aside, all I can tell you is Item #9 is \/\/\/....
picture.php

Aota1

Definitely not trying to sweat you on this! I don't get hung up on minutiae. Big ups to you on a tremendous body of work. I have some seedlings popping and a few mom's I've been keeping alive but I haven't been able to devote the time i like to it because of work and child obligations. Much love to you and all you do!

Mystic Funk

No problem bro and thanks.:tiphat:
your welcome to ask any questions you want and I might have a answer for you.

I also have a very busy life too. job, family, etc, etc.
I have been working on this one for a few years now and I just take my time and pick at it when I can. no need to rush things....

peace!
-mystic

MR_Falcon

Veteran
very cool thread, all my questions answered in the 1st post. you've put the work in taking them to f3 already. they all stink quite a lot for vegging plants, most are real skunky. 1 male had a very strong but very 'unique-ish' type smell, I figured more towards the g13/Hawaiian side. as far as the original seeds my guess is many different fruity type strains got named pineapple express after the movie. I can't wait to get mine flipped, looks like ill have some stinky spring time buds to sample. & that o.haze X looks killer.:dance013:

Mystic Funk

I had a g13xsk1 from shantibaba/nevil that was looked pretty similar! How was the #9xo.haze ? :D

it's Awesome! one of my new favorites. it's very racy and euphoric and it has a lot of the traits of haze. also the item #9 added some flavor and yield.
it has a spicy smell and taste with a little funk from the item #9, kind of like dank incense.:biggrin:

peace!
-mystic

Mystic Funk

very cool thread, all my questions answered in the 1st post. you've put the work in taking them to f3 already. they all stink quite a lot for vegging plants, most are real skunky. 1 male had a very strong but very 'unique-ish' type smell, I figured more towards the g13/Hawaiian side. as far as the original seeds my guess is many different fruity type strains got named pineapple express after the movie. I can't wait to get mine flipped, looks like ill have some stinky spring time buds to sample. & that o.haze X looks killer.:dance013:

Thanks mr Falcon!
yours are looking good man!
you did a good job so far, keep it up!

Mystic Funk

This is them at 3 weeks flower just after I removed the males.
They are all fully seeded now.

Can you see the odd ball in the bunch? right out front is a original haze clone that I threw in last minute to get dusted by the item #9
I also threw in a GG#4 clone in there too.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Last edited:

Mystic Funk

i'm now at week 4 and I wish you guys could stick your head threw the computer screen and take a whiff of these babies.... damn these ladies are starting to stink! i'm getting a lot of sweet and sour pineapple and if you give the buds a lite squeeze the dank cheese permeates the room.
I also for the first time found one pheno that has a smell like sour apple, I can't help but give that one a squeeze every time I go in the room. yum!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Latest posts

Latest posts