What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doing Rainbow Kush Essay, Need facts!

KHuizar

Im writing a paper called "Rainbow Kush: fact or fiction" In doing my research I've come across nothing but contradicting facts and photoshopped images. I need to know as much as possible. :tumbleweed:

Cannavore

Veteran
Lmfao if you think this is real
tumblr_lw9yg0kBUm1r389ozo1_500.png

I'm sure a dispensary has capitalized on the name since then though. Just like Pineapple Express and every other pop culture fad weed names.

KHuizar

RE: Rainbow kush

RE: Rainbow kush

I realize that most of these images are enhanced and photoshopped, but it is a real strain from Vancouver that does exsist, however Iv heard that only if it is grown in the correct conditions can it become multiple colors, but that the strain itself, when duplicated, is said to have a rainbow glisten from the trichs.

KHuizar

Lmfao if you think this is real
View Image

I'm sure a dispensary has capitalized on the name since then though. Just like Pineapple Express and every other pop culture fad weed names.
I realize that most of these images are enhanced and photoshopped, but it is a real strain from Vancouver that does exsist, however Iv heard that only if it is grown in the correct conditions can it become multiple colors, but that the strain itself, when duplicated, is said to have a rainbow glisten from the trichs.

Cannavore

Veteran
The pictures on Google from searching rainbow kush look clearly like altered photos. Find a picture of colorful weed and then mess with some filters, hue, saturation, color. I'm sure you'll make something just like that.

And yes there are normal looking pictures of rainbow kush, I mean how much better could this sample have to be grown for it to exhibit those more than likely altered colors?

Sept-30-Rainbow-Kush-Indica-001.jpg

The site those colorful rainbow kush pics were seen on is notorious for being innacurate about strains. Blueberry Yum Yum on there is clearly altered as well.

Also there is no such thing as rainbow colored trichs. Trichrome color is dependent on maturation, also some purple strains exhibit purple trichrome glands but that's about it.

KHuizar

they say that a lack or abundance of calcium, phosphorous, nitrogen, genetics, maturity, wether or not the ph is acidic or alkaline (which could give it a blue appearance.) An abundance in available sugars can turn it red or orange even. Extra Exposure to nitrogen will also make it appear white sometimes...i know all those photos are fake, what i want to know is what does it REALLY look like, and all the extensive research iv done contradicts new facts that Im finding...its fucked up

you are doing an essay about a pot strain...uh huh...sure you are...do you really need attention that bad? lol

i don't know what you are smoking but i would be willing to bet it ain't pot...lol

KHuizar

you are doing an essay about a pot strain...uh huh...sure you are...do you really need attention that bad? lol

i don't know what you are smoking but i would be willing to bet it ain't pot...lol
actually, smart ass, i run an informative website about Cannabis and this is a FAQ I wanted to tackle. So Im writing a debunking article. So maybe you should smoke MORE pot, and stop caring about other peoples shit so much. If you didnt want attention why would you post such frivolous bullshit?

KHuizar

Rainbow Kush: Fact or Fiction
Kush is a plant the originated in the Hindu-Kush valley in northern Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. Its most often an Indica, an is known for its "skunky" or "stinky" smell. Among the many varieties of Kush, one mythical strain stand out from the rest. Said to have an amazing Euphoric high, a taste comparable to Skitles or Starbusts, but mostly for its colorful images that have been passed around the internet. Is it real? The answer is, YES, it is a real strain, however, those images you see are photoshopped, like the one below.
It was created by Redeye, a marijuana empire based out of Vancouver by creating a hybrid of Hindu Kush X Master Kush X Montel's Pride. Most often prescribed by doctors for stress, it has very high THC levels and an abundance of trichs. It has a Leafly rating of 9.6-10. Its very hard to find, but if you can get your hands on the real strain, it is only available honestly from a clone from its local area. Its got a high yield, can be grown in/outdoor, its versatile (high maintenance if you want any shades or hues), and requires a 16 week grow period!
**MOST RAINBOW KUSH DOES NOT POSSES THE RAINBOW QUALITIES YOU SEE BELOW, RARELY DO ANY PLANTS POSSES SUCH STRONG COLORS HOWEVER...**
In EXTREME situations, by a professional and with care, Rainbow Kush can posses the ability to allow for colors. Yet any plant can posses some of these traits, with the proper genetics. A plant can be influenced by light, temperature, genetics maturity, available sugars, the pH of the soil, and ability to absorb certain chemicals.
Color is usually acquired in the plants dark phases but the light from the sun plays a role as well because pigments allow the chloroplast to absorb light over most of the visible spectrum. Receptors absorb more red and blue light and reflects green, and also gives plants their characteristic color.
Temperature can affect any strain. By putting the plant into extreme shock, or exposing it to extreme cold temperatures it will cause an initially green plant, purple or even BLACK. However truly purple weed is caused strictly by genetics.
Assuming we all know the basics of photosynthesis, we know that it aids in the glucose conversion. Extra sugars can cause plants to turn pink or even reddish purple.
Stigmas or "hairs" on buds can sometimes be longer and, as amber is the most you will typically see on a bud, they can sometimes turn red and orange as well.
An excess of chemicals in the chloroform such as phospherous, potassium and iron can cause deep greens and even reds. Reds can also be caused by a high pH, or acidic content, and blues can be created with a low pH, or Alkaline.
Excessive exposure to Nitrogen or Carbon Dioxide can make an abundance of large opaque trichs that can sometimes reflect light, giving it a rainbow glint, but tichs will never truly be any other color than clear-opaque. Even taste can be altered by adding fruit extracts and in the case of some DWH growers, even Koolaid.
Dont get excited when you see certain seeds available named Rainbow Kush, or if your dealer says "oh yeah this is Rainbow Kush", even if you see it in a club, doesn't mean it is of the original strain, most of the time its just someone trying to capitalize on the name, especially because, sadly enough, as previously stated **this strain RARELY possesses any rainbow traits in reality.
In a nutshell while bud can grow in many extreme colors, it is not to extent of the images that have been either photoshopped or enhanced with LED lights. Rainbow Kush is a fun fantasy, but cosmetically isnt much different than any other strain that can be environmentally altered or genetically enhanced. Sorry folks. FICTION.
Photo: Im proud to say this is the most compiled information you will find on the subject. Feel free to correct me, or to add your input...

Rainbow Kush: Fact or Fiction
Kush is a plant the originated in the Hindu-Kush valley in northern Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. Its most often an Indica, an is known for its "skunky" or "stinky" smell. Among the many varieties of Kush, one mythical strain stand out from the rest. Said to have an amazing Euphoric high, a taste comparable to Skitles or Starbusts, but mostly for its colorful images that have been passed around the internet. Is it real? The answer is, YES, it is a real strain, however, those images you see are photoshopped, like the one below.
It was created by Redeye, a marijuana empire based out of Vancouver by creating a hybrid of Hindu Kush X Master Kush X Montel's Pride. Most often prescribed by doctors for stress, it has very high THC levels and an abundance of trichs. It has a Leafly rating of 9.6-10. Its very hard to find, but if you can get your hands on the real strain, it is only available honestly from a clone from its local area. Its got a high yield, can be grown in/outdoor, its versatile (high maintenance if you want any shades or hues), and requires a 16 week grow period!
**MOST RAINBOW KUSH DOES NOT POSSES THE RAINBOW QUALITIES YOU SEE BELOW, RARELY DO ANY PLANTS POSSES SUCH STRONG COLORS HOWEVER...**
In EXTREME situations, by a professional and with care, Rainbow Kush can posses the ability to allow for colors. Yet any plant can posses some of these traits, with the proper genetics. A plant can be influenced by light, temperature, genetics maturity, available sugars, the pH of the soil, and ability to absorb certain chemicals.
Color is usually acquired in the plants dark phases but the light from the sun plays a role as well because pigments allow the chloroplast to absorb light over most of the visible spectrum. Receptors absorb more red and blue light and reflects green, and also gives plants their characteristic color.
Temperature can affect any strain. By putting the plant into extreme shock, or exposing it to extreme cold temperatures it will cause an initially green plant, purple or even BLACK. However truly purple weed is caused strictly by genetics.
Assuming we all know the basics of photosynthesis, we know that it aids in the glucose conversion. Extra sugars can cause plants to turn pink or even reddish purple.
Stigmas or "hairs" on buds can sometimes be longer and, as amber is the most you will typically see on a bud, they can sometimes turn red and orange as well.
An excess of chemicals in the chloroform such as phospherous, potassium and iron can cause deep greens and even reds. Reds can also be caused by a high pH, or acidic content, and blues can be created with a low pH, or Alkaline.
Excessive exposure to Nitrogen or Carbon Dioxide can make an abundance of large opaque trichs that can sometimes reflect light, giving it a rainbow glint, but tichs will never truly be any other color than clear-opaque. Even taste can be altered by adding fruit extracts and in the case of some DWH growers, even Koolaid.
Dont get excited when you see certain seeds available named Rainbow Kush, or if your dealer says "oh yeah this is Rainbow Kush", even if you see it in a club, doesn't mean it is of the original strain, most of the time its just someone trying to capitalize on the name, especially because, sadly enough, as previously stated **this strain RARELY possesses any rainbow traits in reality.
In a nutshell while bud can grow in many extreme colors, it is not to extent of the images that have been either photoshopped or enhanced with LED lights. Rainbow Kush is a fun fantasy, but cosmetically isnt much different than any other strain that can be environmentally altered or genetically enhanced. Sorry folks. FICTION. :(

Morcheeba*

Veteran
they say that a lack or abundance of calcium, phosphorous, nitrogen, genetics, maturity, wether or not the ph is acidic or alkaline (which could give it a blue appearance.) An abundance in available sugars can turn it red or orange even.

not sure where you are getting info from but it doesnt sound like it is advice from one who is/has grown cannabis.

im still learning but the ph will differ depending on the medium used and N, P, K, Ca, Mg and others will be available to the plants at diff. ph levels.

too much or lack of N, P, K, Ca, Mg etc. will show outward signs and a look at the sticky for Sick Plants will show you what im referencing.

Extra Exposure to nitrogen will also make it appear white sometimes...

excess nitrogen will make a plant greener and N toxicity will show itself with leaf clawing.

aside of genetics, cool temps and flushing im not aware of anything that enhances color changing.

anyway, good luck on your research.

peace

Morcheeba*

Veteran
i hope that is what you are attempting to debunk and not your essay after researching.

... Reds can also be caused by a high pH, or acidic content, and blues can be created with a low pH, or Alkaline.

high ph = alkaline a ph above 7
low ph = acidic below 7

but tichs will never truly be any other color than clear-opaque.

wrong, they amber as the plant matures more and the effects of the same clone harvested when trichs are clear will be diffrent from one taken with amber trichs.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Hey man, I'm one one to harp on peoples posts, but that report of yours is chalk full of inaccuracies that would devastate most any plant, let alone cannabis. :(

Sorry to be a downer.

lLucky

I've only seen weed that could actually be called Rainbow colored once, I'm in the PNW. It was kind of a golden color with tinges of every other color, haven't seen anything else like it since.

If I remember correctly it was supposed to be Williams Wonder x Northern Lights, that's about all I know. The buds were very fat and Kush like in structure with enough trichs that if you picked up a nug dust would fall off it.

Last edited: